U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 06:38 PM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,774 posts, read 14,886,082 times

Advertisements

Is there an Atheist consensus concerning global warming? Seems like all the right leaning Christians are saying no such thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 06:46 PM

7,442 posts, read 9,891,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Is there an Atheist consensus concerning global warming? Seems like all the right leaning Christians are saying no such thing.
There's no such thing as an "anything consensus on anything." But either way, I would guess there is a small minority of Atheists, just as there is in the legitimate scientific community, who are global warming skeptics.

But I also don't think most people, religious or otherwise, see global warming as a religious issue. You seem to be giving it a false equivalency to evolution. It's far more a left/right divide (your post does address "right leaning Christians" after all).

Old 12-09-2012, 06:52 PM

41,130 posts, read 18,599,788 times
The only atheist consensus would be the commonality of disbelief in a god.

Unlike religion, this decision does not come with any set dogma which would compel or alter the non believer's position on anything else.

I'm sure that a study would probably find some areas where most or at least a majority of atheists hold a common position on some issue before the public, but nothing would be automatic. You can be an atheist and still be for or against abortion, for or against the death penalty, for or against legalized marijuana. My guess would be that you'd find a higher percentage of people favoring greater personal freedoms, but that would at least in part be a product of opposing laws which were inspired by religious people's idea of "sin." e.g., I would fully expect that among atheists one would find a higher percentage who favored legalizing prostitution than among a religious oriented group.

But...there is no social creed one naturally subscribes to simply as a consequence of being an atheist.

Last edited by Grandstander; 12-09-2012 at 07:46 PM..

Old 12-09-2012, 06:53 PM

7,099 posts, read 24,511,955 times
You are saying that ALL right leaning Christians are saying no such thing as global warming?

Old 12-09-2012, 07:25 PM

344 posts, read 340,239 times
It's kind of funny; atheism is often mistakenly viewed as something akin to an organization or a big, godless club. I kind of enjoy the questions I occasionally will get that begin something like, "Katie, you're an atheist. Let me ask you; Do you people believe (enjoy, dislike, etc, can be inserted in place of believe)..."

I always reply that I know what an atheist is, but there is no set guidelines on what an atheist thinks. Contrary to popular belief, atheism is not a religion. There are no tenets. Generally speaking, if atheists lean one way more so than do theists on an issue, it is because the theists have been influenced by their religious views whereas the atheists have not.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:08 AM

10,312 posts, read 11,237,378 times
I could post a snarky comment about asking at my next atheist meeting, but seriously I think you raise a legitimate question. As others have pointed out, atheism is not an affirmative belief or set of beliefs. Once you get past the rejection of a belief in a god or gods atheists have a wide range of political and personal beliefs.

On the other hand, it is true that atheists are probably more likely than the general population to base our ideas and positions on evidence. In addition, most scientists are atheists. Given that we know that the overwhelming majority (I think it's somewhere north of 95%) of scientists who study climate are convinced that global warming is both real and significantly caused by human action, I wouldn't be at all surprised if atheists are more likely than the general public to accept the scientific evidence for global warming, evolution, plate tectonics, an old earth, and probably a number of ideas that are supported by scientific evidence but rejected by conservative and evangelical Christians.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:47 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,774 posts, read 14,886,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
You are saying that ALL right leaning Christians are saying no such thing as global warming?
My bad, I should have said MOST right leaning Christians. (that I've encountered)

Old 12-11-2012, 09:24 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,596,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Have always marveled at the ''comprehensiveness'' of right wing conservatism, and it's tendency to be so ''all-embracing'' and to have ready-made positions on so many other aspects of life... economic, racial, religious, social, sexual, and scientific... besides just the political ones.

So the quibbles about "all" atheists and "all" conservative Christians aside, I hear what you're talking about. Though actually it raises a deeper underlying question... namely, to what extent do either or both sides have any tendencies to march in ''lockstep'' on other, non-religious issues as well. And off the top of my head, I can't think of any similar ''ideological'' positions among ''all'' (or even most) atheists or ''non-believers''.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:53 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,094,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Though actually it raises a deeper underlying question... namely, to what extent do either or both sides have any tendencies to march in ''lockstep'' on other, non-religious issues as well. And off the top of my head, I can't think of any similar ''ideological'' positions among ''all'' (or even most) atheists or ''non-believers''.
I don't see much "lock step". For one thing, atheists are not organized on anything like the level theists are. We don't have a secret lodge where we meet. Although there are some small national and worldwide organizations that advance atheist agendas it is not like any random atheist is apt to belong to any of them, much less one of them. By nature we are not, by and large, joiners. And we only have one thing to agree on -- a lack of belief in god(s) generically. That means we're far less monolithic on other matters. It's probably one of the reasons that no one organization has emerged that can claim to represent most of us.

I'd venture to say that an atheist is more likely to be politically liberal / progressive as well as more of an objective / empirical thinker and thus more likely to back the science on global warming, but I'd just be guessing. There are certainly atheists who think global warming is a giant hoax. It has nothing to do with one's metaphysics, really.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:39 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,805,910 times
I don't think I have ever thought of someone's belief in global warming to be tied to religion/lack of religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism