Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 11:30 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,601,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
My views on the universe?

1. It is very big

2. There are a lot of stars
Agreed.

Do you have an opinion as to why there is matter, when matter is made up of particles that have no mass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 05:54 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Agreed.

Do you have an opinion as to why there is matter, when matter is made up of particles that have no mass?
Not really. It is what it is.

I know that there has been a lot of scientific research as to the origins and make up of the universe and of matter itself. But I am not interested enough to delve deeply into that.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Not really. It is what it is.

I know that there has been a lot of scientific research as to the origins and make up of the universe and of matter itself. But I am not interested enough to delve deeply into that.
Are you an atheist?

Old 01-01-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Are you an atheist?
Yep.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Yep.
Interesting. I've had the impression that the non belief in god is rooted in science with most atheists. Evidently I assumed wrong.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I've had the impression that the non belief in god is rooted in science with most atheists. Evidently I assumed wrong.
Religion and god(s) just seems wholly illogical and superstitious to me. You don't need to delve deeply into science to figure that one out.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Religion and god(s) just seems wholly illogical and superstitious to me. You don't need to delve deeply into science to figure that one out.
I agree with you about man made religion. I view religion as man working his way to God. Christ already did the work that I could never accomplish. And I completely understand if you don't understand all of that.

But, you also mentioned logic. That is really what I was getting at. How logical is it that all things that have mass, are made up of very tiny things that have no mass?

Old 01-01-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I agree with you about man made religion. I view religion as man working his way to God. Christ already did the work that I could never accomplish. And I completely understand if you don't understand all of that.

But, you also mentioned logic. That is really what I was getting at. How logical is it that all things that have mass, are made up of very tiny things that have no mass?
You turned me off with your first paragraph.

I am an atheist. I don't believe in god or religion. Neither do I have an alternative belief system and I don't need to find logic in one thing to confirm that another is illogical. Being an atheist isn't about finding an alternative to god. It is quite simply about not believing in it. That is all.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
You turned me off with your first paragraph.
I'm sorry. It was just my way of saying that I don't expect you to believe what I believe. And it is understandable that you don't.

Quote:
I am an atheist. I don't believe in god or religion. Neither do I have an alternative belief system and I don't need to find logic in one thing to confirm that another is illogical. Being an atheist isn't about finding an alternative to god. It is quite simply about not believing in it. That is all.
Fair enough.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:54 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Quote:
So.. when can we expect your definitive end-all PhD Thesis that explains all there is to know, jda?? And please, could you also then give us all a quicky run-down on the importance and involvement of the recently confirmed Higgs boson particle ,which seems to be at least partially responsible for mass?

Otherwise, you'll have to understand that we nasty scientists will continue to assume, quite pathetically in your eyes, that the process of rational and objective investigation called "science" will produce even MORE new information, right?

You DO KNOW that it doesn't all stop when you want it to, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism