U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 11:56 PM

733 posts, read 1,303,434 times

Advertisements

the idea of "pre-destination" is ridiculous. It means we aren't in control of ourselves, no matter what, which is just absurd.

i believe each and every one of us has the power to change anything we want, at anytime.

if god does exist, then he already knows that 1,385,499,677 people (whatever #) will make it to heaven and the rest will go to hell. That would tell me that all our lives are meaningless, because there is already a pre-determined # of people who will make it to heaven.

i choose to believe in none of that, and to live my best life possible, and to do the utmost with which I am capable of. Why choose to live in fear? It just doesn't make sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 12:07 AM

5,192 posts, read 4,395,731 times
^^^

Couldn't agree more.

And, beyond living in fear, living a life worried about or consumed with the idea of what may or may not happen "after-life" seems terribly sad to me. Especially since we have no reason to presume anything hapenns after we die with regards to our consciousness and memory.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:38 AM

733 posts, read 1,303,434 times
^yes, i totally agree.

my father is a great example. He's a pastor, super religious...well was a pastor during his middle age. He's diabetic, overweight, lazy, sits on the couch eating crackers and butter. Yet he is DETERMINED that he is going to heaven, and a great life is ahead of him, regardless of this life. So, to me, this makes him lazy. He really doesn't care about this life, because he knows when he dies (and he doesn't care about dying at all) HEAVEN awaits him. So he must feel that he can be lazy and a sloth in this life because it doesn't matter.

yet the reality is hitting him, from my point of view. He's now a grandfather, so he's trying to lose weight. Hmm...i wonder why? Could it be because he ultimately wants to stick around for a while longer, and maybe his gluttonous ways of the past are now no longer the smart way to go, especially when you have others to consider?

I often take a step back and wonder....is he starting to get freaked out that maybe, just maybe he should feel he needs to do whatever it takes to stick around longer, because you aren't guaranteed anything? I'm starting to think he finally realizes that life on earth is not something to take for granted.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:12 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,371,468 times
what about treating his body like a temple, mateo384? or did he miss that part? It's probably that he is starting to worry about getting older and death approaching.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:09 PM

3,316 posts, read 1,884,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
the idea of "pre-destination" is ridiculous. It means we aren't in control of ourselves, no matter what, which is just absurd.

i believe each and every one of us has the power to change anything we want, at anytime.

if god does exist, then he already knows that 1,385,499,677 people (whatever #) will make it to heaven and the rest will go to hell. That would tell me that all our lives are meaningless, because there is already a pre-determined # of people who will make it to heaven.

i choose to believe in none of that, and to live my best life possible, and to do the utmost with which I am capable of. Why choose to live in fear? It just doesn't make sense to me.
yeah pre-destination sounds pretty stupid. I believe that if there is a creator, he/she is really not much different than us. that's why I've gotten into the song by Joan Osbourne lately
and if it's already determined then why do religious people say you'll go to heaven if you believe in God/Jesus? on that subject, they say it like they're not afraid either which boggles me because why would you not be afraid to die? I don't care if heaven WAS guaranteed. no one knows what it would be like no matter where they go and if we had to base it on the vague description of the bible, it sounds like a pretty ****ty place to me. I think I agree with atheists. I think with the exception of myself (because I'm the exception to every rule you know) the religious are the most fearful people about death. your father is a great example. that's why they hang on so tight to their beliefs. they know deep in their heart that they know no better than us what death would be like.

however lately I've kinda entertained the idea of pre-destination because I'm not in control of my life. **** just gets thrown at me. I can't get what I want in this life so why would I get what I want in the hereafter
that's another messed up part of religion. whether they mean to or not, the religious make depressed people feel worse about their life.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:22 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,371,468 times
yet so many depressed people cling to religion and jesus and god...

Old 01-26-2013, 11:51 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,201,057 times
This is probably the most negative thread I have ever read.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:45 AM

8,343 posts, read 9,815,780 times
Then you must not have read the threads in christianity forum about eternal damnation. An eternity of hellfire and weeping makes this thread downright blissful by comparison.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:36 AM

25,740 posts, read 25,417,567 times
I realize this is an older thread, but it caught my eye.

My middle son, age nine, is autistic. It's likely he'll never live on his own. He speaks on approximately a four-year-old level and reads and writes at approximately a first-grade level. His actual reading comprehension is approximately kindergarten level and sometimes, below.

It annoys me HORRIBLY when people tell me, "God chose you to be the parent of a special-needs person, because you are special. You should feel blessed!"

This generally comes from someone who won the genetic cr*pshoot and magically fell into three children who have NEVER had a neurological or physical issue. I want to tell them, "If God wanted to show me that I was so special, and if God wanted to show Colin that HE was so special, He'd have made Colin neurotypical and not have to constantly suffer."

I don't say this. I know it's coming from the right place but it just makes me want to tear all my hair out when I hear it. And I hear it a lot.

Actually, just writing this out brings tears of frustration and anger to my eyes. God this one gets to me.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:25 AM

4,487 posts, read 4,373,735 times
Scripture says.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism