Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 10:30 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,939,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I'm annoyed when someone tells me that they will be "praying for me" for some reason or another. The thing is, these are people being nice to me, so I'm not about to turn on them and tell them that I don't think that their prayers are anything more than a waste of their time. Consequently, I thank them.

But I'm still annoyed.
I could have written that post myself. Whenever someone says "I'll pray for you." I want to snap back and sarcastically say, "I'll think for you."

But I bite my tongue because I know their intentions are good, no matter how ridiculous their beliefs are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 10:33 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,914,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
the blessings, the praying for things, the god will take care of things, thanking the god for everything at every chance, blaming devils for bad things people do, praising the lord, thanking Jesus,...the list goes on... it's only irking me when it's constant and around this time of year it seems to be worse with thanksgiving and Christmas..and the end of the world coming, that may have something to do with it!
I think it's silly when someone says 'bless you' after you sneeze or something, especially if they aren't even religious.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:35 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,914,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I was watching the news the other day and some lowlife drug dealer with a rap sheet probably forty-five pages long was shot to death in some drug-deal gone bad. The news was interviewing the mother who kept saying "He's in Jesus' hands now! The Lord came and took my son away and now he's with Jesus."

Ummm... Sure he is...

The other thing that drives me nuts is when people assign the most trivial, statistically probable events to the "grace of God" but ignore the tragic events as "God's will."

For example:

"I saw this tornado coming straight through the trailer park destroying everything in sight and killing everyone it came near. Then, by the grace of God, the tornado just vanished right before it got to my trailer."

So, nevermind that the entire population of your trailer park just died by some highly probable natural disaster, it was absolutely the "Grace of God" that folded this perfectly explainable phenomena back into the clouds and saved your meth-riddled body from being killed.
Lol it had to end somewhere, I guess.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:43 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,311,888 times
LOL GCSTroop..but that's excatly what they say too
as if they're the chosen one or something! God willing is another one!!!
Now that we're on a rant here, we may as well get it all out....

Old 12-17-2012, 11:05 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,796,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I'm annoyed when someone tells me that they will be "praying for me" for some reason or another. The thing is, these are people being nice to me, so I'm not about to turn on them and tell them that I don't think that their prayers are anything more than a waste of their time. Consequently, I thank them.
I hear this one quite often, almost invariably after tearing a Christians' arguments apart and providing factual evidence on the origins and absurdities of their god, religion and The Bible.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:06 AM

9,322 posts, read 12,953,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think it's silly when someone says 'bless you' after you sneeze or something, especially if they aren't even religious.
I still say "bless you" and "oh my God," but for many people those are more reflexive sayings than conscious thought processes.

I suppose I could say "gesundheit" instead, but I just don't particularly like the sound of the word.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:28 AM

7,868 posts, read 10,259,400 times
" us humans cannot understand how god thinks"

the irony being that you would need to understand god in order to be make such a claim , it more or less implies that some people have so much insight that they have a unique understanding of how god thinks , thats arrogance on a pretty staggering level

Old 12-18-2012, 08:41 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,374,809 times
I really hate it when people "thank god" when something good happens (recover from illness, finally find a job, etc.) Ummm, why not give credit to the proper people (the doctor who cured the dying aunt; the person who worked her butt off to get that promotion, etc.)
Also, "it's god's will" really bugs me for similar reasons.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:09 PM

741 posts, read 1,285,453 times
Popular expressions: Whenever a bunch of people die and a few survive, it's always a miracle for the survival of the few. "By the grace of god we survived" etc when a boatload of other people are dead.

Personal: My mother constantly wants to approach me about my non-belief, but she doesn't know how to start a conversation in a friendly and open manner, she starts with phrases like "Are you ready to DIE now?". OMG makes me think my Mother is about to kill me or something.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,909,533 times
There are many variations in the wording used, but I hate it when religious people tell you that if you only had faith and were a believer that all of the contradictions and false claims in the bible would suddenly make sense. Their basic premise seems to be that if you believe something is true it is easier to believe it is true. It is so stupid it hurts my head just thinking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism