Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 11:46 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,457,200 times

Advertisements

I hate it when Christians tell me I just need to be "saved".

The other thing I hate is when they say something bad is just god's plan and who are we to question it.....someday we'll understand why god allowed it to happen. That is the biggest cop-out EVER!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 02:36 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,731,491 times
All those stupid crosses at the funerals of those murdered in Newtown. Did anyone stop and ask themselves "where was god when the kids were being shot to death?'.

The kissing of them and stroking them makes me nauseated. If jesus was burnt alive would people be playing with fire? Such utter stupidity and lack of any logical reasoning.

And god bless....what does this even mean? Another trite, meaningless phrase to use when you have nothing deep or worthy to say.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:22 PM

278 posts, read 307,357 times
"god is good."

Biggest lie of all.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:52 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,331,473 times
I don't usually have any problem with people saying "God bless you" and things along those lines. I generaly just think "Well, that's a nice sentiment. That's sweet of them."

I don't get riled up about most of the things believers say that are of a more innocuus nature, although I do get tired of the "God works in mysterious ways" copout.

What bothers me is when people use their religious beliefs to try to dictate the way other people live their lives--for example, same sex marriage or reproductive choice.

The portion of The Bible where homosexuality is most clearly condemned is in The Book of Leviticus. Other things condemned right alongside homosexuality in that book? Gathering sticks on the sabbath, being a rape victim, eating shellfish and wearing a robe with two different types of cloth in it.

Why is it the people who are so vociferous in their fear and bigotry and hatred of homosexuals have no problem with people who wear poly-cotton blend shirts, enjoy some nice lobster in lemon butter sauce and work an occasional Sunday?

Sorr for the rant.

The other thing that mystifies me about the mental gymnastics believers go through is how they often attribute anything good that happens to a god, but blame everything bad on humanity or a devil of some kind.

For example, you see someone on the news who just went through a tornado. They'll say something like "Well, I lost my house, my dog, and my wife, but THANK GOD my son and my truck are okay."

WTF?!?!?!?

It reminds me of the famous quote from Epictetus:

If God is willing to prevent evil but is not able to prevent evil, then he is not omnipotent.

If God is able to prevent evil but is not willing to prevent evil, then he is not benevolent.

Evil is either in accordance with God’s intention or contrary to it.

Thus, either God cannot prevent evil or he does not want to prevent evil.

Therefore, it follows that God is either not omnipotent or he is not benevolent. He cannot be both omnipotent and benevolent.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:02 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,919,897 times
Don't tell me I'm going to a place that doesn't exist for not believing in your particular godhead figure. It's a waste of time.

"You'll find out eventually, and by then it'll be too late!"

Old 12-24-2012, 07:07 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,437,689 times
Default What popular expression of faith annoys you the most?

"God bless America"

From all the years I was forced to attend church, reading the Christian holy book that was supposed to be God's unalterable word, I never once found any reference to America. According to that book, the middle east is his favorite hangout. And we can all see the blessings they receive.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:53 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,594,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
"God bless America"

From all the years I was forced to attend church, reading the Christian holy book that was supposed to be God's unalterable word, I never once found any reference to America. According to that book, the middle east is his favorite hangout. And we can all see the blessings they receive.
I agree, this one gets to me as well.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:04 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,594,017 times
Others that grind:
http://youtu.be/jlq4hA2OHtw
God is really good to these people in particular.

Thanking God for an award, or winning money. Especially while you know the homeless are sitting around the outside of that awards building freezing their arses off with no food, blanket or wine to keep them comfy. Not like they're going to use that money god just gave them to feed those people. Maybe they'd use their fame to get me to donate, lol, but never have they just given the money back to god. lol

Every time I watch the music awards shows or the movie award shows I am astonished at the amount of god thanking going on. I think, hm, I wonder what they did to be more deserving? Sleep with the right people? lol
I guess it's just what god had planned for them, no wonder they love him. I'd start believing to if he handed me a mil and an award.

After all, that voice was god given. He thought he'd give you that voice so you could make a million off of it and buy that car and house for yourself. Just his way of thanking you for all you've done, which, I'm still trying to figure out what that is cuz I'd like to do it as well.

Last edited by PoppySead; 12-24-2012 at 09:22 AM..

Old 12-24-2012, 01:38 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,099,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post

Thanking God for an award, or winning money.
This opens the door to considering all of the athletes who insist that their success is a product of celestial favor. The two biggest offenders around now are the Jets' Tim Tebow and the Rangers' Josh Hamilton.

Hamilton has been especially grating, informing us that in the 10th inning of Game Six of the '11 Series, god told him that he was going to hit a home run. When one considers the context of this particular feat, we are left with a rather mean spirited Almighty. Hamilton did indeed homer in the top of the 10th to give his team a two run lead and what would have been the WS championship if that lead held. Of course it turned out that the Cardinals came back to tie it in the bottom of the 10th and win it in the 11th.

So....that means that god was actually playing a practical joke on Hamilton. Josh was told he would hit a home run, did hit a home run, and had every reason to believe that he had just become a great WS hero, striking the winning blow. Then god lets the Rangers get down to one strike away from winning it all, and then yanks the carpet out from under Hamilton and the Rangers.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:33 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,457,200 times
I am not bothered by people who want to talk about their belief or broadcast it in any way they want. In God We Trust and similar things don't bother me. I realize I'm in the minority and in a democracy the majority rules.

As long as they don't force it on me. I'm just grateful that I am not forced to listen or look at what I find stupid.

They have their rights and I have mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism