U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 10:43 AM

607 posts, read 1,168,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
People will believe what they want, no matter how much evidence to the contrary

If God exists, he must be cruel and hateful to let the recent Newtown Massacre take place.

I asked where God was during the massacre but no religious person could answer
It's the Devil's fault.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:04 AM

17,238 posts, read 19,536,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Good and Evil exist for a reason. I believe God will ultimately reveal why things happened the way they did, one day, to those who are opening to learning from all of this.
It seems much simpler to believe there is no God and the shooting in Connecticut was committed by a deranged, mentally unstable individual who had easy access to a lot of firearms and ammunition.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:42 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,370,795 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
I personally see violence of any sort as a failure in imagination. A failure to find a way to resolve a situation intellectually. Any god that requires death and sacrifice in order to make his point or configure the running of the world the way it wants is just a failure in my eyes. I have a limited intellect but I endeavor to find non violence resolutions to all situations and so far in my life have always succeeded. You would think a "good and loving god" with an infinite intellect could come up with something better than drowning and killing and frying people which sounds to me... lets face it... like a typical human solution to a human problem.
Well said, Nozz!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
This event brings up the concept of freewill. God allows people to do as they please and sometimes horrible things happens.

The alternative would be for God to force everyone to be good and not allow freewill. I'll bet that more than a few atheists would not like the idea of being forced to love and serve God.
You bet. To be forced to serve Kim Jong Il... oh no, I mean Stalin, oh no, I mean Hitler... oh no... I mean The Japanese Emperor , he being a personal link to God... oh wait... I mean The Sitting Pope in The Vatican...

Now if He came down and tried to, as you say with barely suppressed glee, "force us" (how pray tell???) to be loving and kind and generous, you'd find the majority of atheists are already there. How do you see us now? As constantly Evil™, morally bereft maniacs? That what they'z been teachin' y'all down at the Congregational Kingdom Hall of Pious Pontifications?

The biggest political HIT would be on those of you yowling "We Know Best" Christians who constantly want to force your utterly dependable hateful and obedience-training mandated "version of life and this universe" upon all of the rest of us, starting in our high schools, and spreading into all aspects of our daily lives.

It's you guys who want to take over, not us. We simply don't believe in your GOD at all. Why is this so threatening to you folks? Oh yeah; I forgot: because you'd lose whatever limited and shrinking control you think you now have.

Well.... uhmmm..... Fact is: it's Tah Tah to Christianity.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:56 AM

3,064 posts, read 5,598,457 times
The school shooting shows that God is alive and well and is busy punishing us so that we will worship him even more.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:40 PM

5 posts, read 3,408 times
According to religious people, God gives people a free will and will be judged based on that on their judgement day.
The Bible also say that life will not be always good. Evil things will happen.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:28 PM

14,195 posts, read 9,080,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
I could employ the Problem Of Evil argument of course if we were talking about a specific god with very specific attributes. But it does nothing more than negate the claims about THAT god. It in no way negates the claim there is _some_ kind of god out there.
Exactly true, however, most Christians, and as far as I know, Muslims, do posit that particular kind of god -- the tri-omni kind who is all good, all knowing, and all powerful. That's by and large the god they are appealing to in this situation -- a god who, with full knowledge of what was to happen / was happening, full power and ability to prevent it, and a heart of perfect benevolent compassion, nevertheless stood by while twenty little children were ripped apart by an assault rifle. Also a god who promises protection, particularly for the helpless and innocent, and then reneged on that promise.

Now in the "gods must be crazy" department, sure, we can look at this situation and posit an indifferent, absent, dead, or sadistic god ... but that's not a very sexy sort of god to be worshipping (or selling access to).

Old 12-18-2012, 01:40 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,710,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
The school shooting shows that God is alive and well and is busy punishing us so that we will worship him even more.
Why punish the United States though? isnt 80 percent of our population Christian?

Those East Asian and European countries arent getting as much punishing as we do but they have more Atheist..

Old 12-18-2012, 01:43 PM

8,394 posts, read 9,139,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Exactly true, however, most Christians, and as far as I know, Muslims, do posit that particular kind of god -- the tri-omni kind who is all good, all knowing, and all powerful. That's by and large the god they are appealing to in this situation -- a god who, with full knowledge of what was to happen / was happening, full power and ability to prevent it, and a heart of perfect benevolent compassion, nevertheless stood by while twenty little children were ripped apart by an assault rifle. Also a god who promises protection, particularly for the helpless and innocent, and then reneged on that promise.

Now in the "gods must be crazy" department, sure, we can look at this situation and posit an indifferent, absent, dead, or sadistic god ... but that's not a very sexy sort of god to be worshipping (or selling access to).
Now see, that is not the God I or Chrstians believe in. The tri-omni thing is all knowing, all powerful and all present.

The "all good" concept is born from atheist strawman postings. Jesus even taught that bad things will happen to good people.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:32 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times
If there is no evil there is no good. If there was no evil, none of us would be feeling any sympathy for these poor children. Yin and yang, get it?

Old 12-18-2012, 05:42 PM

14,195 posts, read 9,080,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Now see, that is not the God I or Chrstians believe in. The tri-omni thing is all knowing, all powerful and all present.

The "all good" concept is born from atheist strawman postings. Jesus even taught that bad things will happen to good people.
Christians hold to "omnis" besides the three I mentioned but theodicy (Theodicy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is the theist effort to answer the problem of suffering / evil in the light of those particular three omnis. I did not invent the idea that god is entirely good, that's a Christian doctrine. You're not suggesting that god isn't omnibenevolent, surely. If you don't believe god is omnibenevolent, of course, then you don't have any need for theodicy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism