Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 07:26 PM

588 posts, read 795,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Actually, if there is a spirit realm, death here is meaningless.
Why do most christians do everything possible to extend their lives here in old age instead of being ready and willing to meet your God in heaven?

Old 12-20-2012, 07:31 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
Why do most christians do everything possible to extend their lives here in old age instead of being ready and willing to meet your God in heaven?
Your prejudice and ignorance is showing. What makes you think that God resides in heaven? Have you ever thought that God or goodness reside in every living human being? That we are submerged in God..that we if we chose could have heaven on earth? Most so-called Christians really do not have a grasp on the God concept...nor do you it seems.....such arrogance "your" God....just sooooo yesterday.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
no its proof that there is a god and a president and alota good people that want this domestic terrorism to stop and it will.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:38 PM

588 posts, read 795,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Your prejudice and ignorance is showing. What makes you think that God resides in heaven? ....... Most so-called Christians really do not have a grasp on the God concept...nor do you it seems.....such arrogance "your" God....just sooooo yesterday.
Thankfully a REAL christian like you who happens to have 'a grasp on the God concept' comes along to set all the other christians straight!

MY arrogance is showing?

Old 12-20-2012, 08:26 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,380 times
I get so tired of people blaming God for "letting" bad things happen. Satan is EVERYWHERE and its not Gods fault the massacre happened.Yes God was there during the massacre and He is everywhere too. God never said life on this earth would be candy, sunshine, and rainbows. God did say there will be pain, suffering, sadness, and dark days on this earth.Everything on this earth happens for a reason. As for why the massacre happened none of us knows. Only God knows. That guy who killed those kids and adults had the free will to choose not to do it, but he chose to do so anyways. God can use bad things to accomplish good. The most important thing though is that in the end good will triumph over evil. As for people who don't believe in God He already knows that not everyone will choose to believe in Him.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:54 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
I asked where God was during the massacre but no religious person could answer
Maybe Jesus caused it.

Remember, according to the Hebrew texts in 2 Kings 2:23-24, some kids were making sport of Elisha who was bald, calling Elisha names like "baldy" and stuff, so Jesus sent two female bears to maul and kill 42 children.

How do you know those kids didn't do evil in the eyes of Jesus?

Maybe Jesus sent the gunmen to kill the kids for making sport of an handicapped kid or something. Why didn't Jesus send bears?

I'm guessing the bears probably couldn't open the doors -- you know, the opposing thumb thing -- and then the bears would probably end up making a detour to the school lunch room to ransack it.

I guess my point is, in an event where Jesus is meting out justice, it's kind of silly to ask where Jesus is.

Answering...

Mircea

Old 12-21-2012, 01:07 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Your prejudice and ignorance is showing.
He asked a question. A straight forward and simple question. Throwing invective and insult from the off for the "crime" of asking a straight forward question does not represent you OR your peers well in the theism debates.

It is a perfectly valid question too. For many the fact that people who genuinely believe in a paradise after death will spend inordinate amounts of time, energy and effort in trying to extend THIS life is a mystery.

That someone could ask an honest question about that mystery and receive a torrent of abuse as a response says more about you than him/her. For shame sir, for shame.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:06 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times
Quote:
That someone could ask an honest question about that mystery and receive a torrent of abuse as a response says more about you than him/her. For shame sir, for shame.
exactly! I always remember that, especially here on these forums. people are quick to send insults. especially when they can't "win the argument" and it's proven that their religion is based on tales and contraditions

Old 12-21-2012, 04:29 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,706,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The Christian response is "We don't know". My priest's remark in church on Sunday was, "This kind of thing makes it very difficult to love God."

That's just for informational purposes so that atheists know that there is discussion in Christianity beyond the type of drivel demonstrated in Post No. 7. I have no doubt that people actually believe things like that.

It is easier at times like this, I think, to not believe in God. For those of us who can't not believe, it can be a struggle.
Not being able to not believe, is purely psychological. Science is cool,ain't it!

Old 12-21-2012, 04:41 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
Thankfully a REAL christian like you who happens to have 'a grasp on the God concept' comes along to set all the other christians straight!

MY arrogance is showing?
Not a case of titles...Christianity never really reached most of the world. It was never meant to be a religion. Those who are REAL Christians are not identified as such. This early movement was a state of mind not a bunch of chumps gathered in some church professing Jesus as their "personal savior"...... or creeps bowing at the image of a man being tortured on a cross....or fools insisting that the mother of Jesus was a virgin...cos' that is impossible and God does not run a smoke and mirrors dog and pony show. Christ was a person of the highest intelligence and logic...and he knew that God was attainable and reachable by all. It was religion that insisted that you need an agent to reach God...Christ said..."No one comes to the father except through me"...could it be he was saying...I am not your agent...I am your guide?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism