U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2012, 12:52 PM

21,044 posts, read 19,625,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliganO View Post
Do any of you atheists/agnostics celebrate Christmas, the traditional birth of Christ?

If so, how do you celebrate it, and why.
If no, why don't you.
I have ignored the Stupidity for 45 years but it has nothing to do with believing in a god or gods. I just don't like it.

I have an atheist friend whose entire house is decorated , floor to ceiling, with Christmas stuff every year. She makes her own beautiful Christmas cards, makes fancy desserts, entertains, buys gifts....the whole thing...

We are all individuals...our ONLY common denominator is we do not believe in a god or gods...
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 01:43 PM

20,517 posts, read 26,465,036 times
My husband and I don't do anything special. No tree, no decorations, and no gifts. I do bake cookies and give them to friends and family. I also send Christmas cards to those who celebrate....oh and money for the grandkids

I do enjoy seeing all the decorations and lights I even like Christmas music...gasp, lol.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:56 PM

278 posts, read 256,428 times
I have always celebrated it as a reason for the family to get together. Nothing more, nothing less. I also celebrate the consumerism part of it too. Hey, it's a reason to buy my wife and son something and it's gotten me a few guitars!
Even as a kid, I never thought- hey this is Jesus' birthday! Christmas is only a religious holiday in name to me. It's a memetic vestige that has survived into my life as an atheist- same as "God Bless you", "Jesus Christ!", and "God Dammit!"

Old 12-22-2012, 02:00 PM

3,532 posts, read 5,207,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Yeah, we love Christmas. Sure, the Nativity story is a fairy tale, but it is a very nice fairy tale and the rest of my family believes it.

I love the religious Christmas carols. How could anyone not enjoy this scene?

Christmas Food Court Flash Mob, Hallelujah Chorus - Must See! - YouTube
Thank you so much for posting this. Handel's Messiah was one of my late fathers favorite compositions. Although he was (as I am) a lifelong atheist, he loved all kinds of music, especially this one. He always played this at Christmas, so for me no Christmas is complete without hearing it. It brought tears to my eyes seeing it performed this way. It's beautiful regardless of the religious content.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:01 PM

4,999 posts, read 3,899,163 times
Oh yeah, I enjoy giftmas..All the food, famliy, relaxation and gifts without the hocus pocus.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:08 PM

5,192 posts, read 4,411,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Yep, my wife and I celebrate Christmas, although generally as a holiday celebrating family, giving, and often a touch of gluttony...
Yeah, this is us. We also get our children involved (year-round, as much as possible) in giving of their time and material possessions to help others.

I don't belive in the supernatural elements of the story of Jesus aymore than I believe in a jolly, red-bedecked fat elf from the North Pole who has the magical ability to take a few hours each year to travel through all Christendom to give presents to hundreds of millions of deserving boys and girls.

But for us, the symbols of thankfulness, giving, sharing, etc. are very real and important, and I find the pagan roots of many observed "holy days" in the Western World very interesting as well.

Most cultures throughout history have celebreated some type of Winter festival.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:27 PM

3,881 posts, read 7,333,930 times
Yep. Always have. We celebrate the secular or commercial holiday. No Jesus necessary.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:36 AM

10,946 posts, read 8,290,571 times
The way that I enjoy the season is toasting the season with some of my close friend and the spirit that they bring: Jack, Jim and Johnny. They know how to party

Old 12-23-2012, 09:47 AM

9,412 posts, read 11,783,141 times
This year we have a lovely tree, presents and a decorated house only because my youngest daughter and her boyfriend are coming to visit from New Zealand. There is no religious significance in any of this for us.

I remember large family gatherings from my childhood. I always kind of struggled with the meaning of the birth of Jesus but there is one thing that stands out, peace on earth and goodwill to all men. I want to share that sentiment because the world really needs these two things.

So Merry Xmas to you all.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:28 PM

16,753 posts, read 14,177,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliganO View Post
Do any of you atheists/agnostics celebrate Christmas, the traditional birth of Christ?

If so, how do you celebrate it, and why.
If no, why don't you.
I am culturally both Jewish and Christian, being that my atheist parents were raised with certain traditions.

So I suppose I celebrate a weird mishmash of Hanukkah, Xmas, Saturnalia, and some old druidic Solstice stuff.

We do the tree (which is ironic that people get made it called a holiday tree when it was stolen from another non-christian holiday), but don't do stars or anything, so it is more of a solstice thing. Especially since we put it up on the first night of winter. We do the menorah thing (which is also not a particularly religious holiday for the jew) but instead of Psalms we give gratitudes. Also the kids mentioned what charities (tzedkahs) they had done recently. We eat gingerbread men and give gifts (a saturnalia hold over) and if the eggnog is particularly well spiked we might do some singing (though not any silent night or anything), usually around the 24th or so but the date is not fixed for us.

For my family, we are big outdoor enthusiasts, and winter is not our favorite time of year. The idea of bringing in the tree as a symbol of life to remind us of the coming spring appeals to me greatly. As to why do we celebrate in general, because we are human. We like parties, and festivities, and celebration that involves family, food, and fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism