Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 12:32 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,760,459 times

Advertisements

Those are the exact words one of my ex woman friends told me. Didnt ask her to elaborate whether she meant a success professionally or personally. She also told me that she believes that a friends business is failing because he is an atheist.

This person is no longer a friend of mine because I just cant tolerate this type of thinking in my life. Its so sad that Christianity leads to this way of thinking. I refuse to have Christians as close friends anymore and I certainly dont date them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 12:48 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
<sarcasm>
Wishing ill upon your fellow man because they're different: it's just showing god's love to the world!
</sarcasm>

Old 12-09-2012, 12:50 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
'Tis the season to be preachy...

Old 12-09-2012, 12:57 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Bad title choice... I came running in looking for fight.

Anyway, if there is a god, he sent us into a world with tens of thousands of competing religions all claiming to have the truth and that all the others are wrong. You've got Vegas odds to be born into the right era and/or church or pick the right one, so that would mean a "righteous and just god" basically set the majority of humanity up for failure from the very beginning, and for no real reason.

A god like that isn't exactly "righteous and just"... and therefore isn't worth worshiping.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:25 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Here I was all set to report the OP based on the title.

Oh well.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:02 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Those are the exact words one of my ex woman friends told me. Didnt ask her to elaborate whether she meant a success professionally or personally. She also told me that she believes that a friends business is failing because he is an atheist.

Hey...prove her wrong. Embrace Jesus, but then go on to be a huge failure.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:58 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post

This person is no longer a friend of mine because I just cant tolerate this type of thinking in my life. Its so sad that Christianity leads to this way of thinking. I refuse to have Christians as close friends anymore and I certainly dont date them.
To be successful in business, you need only praise the almighty dollar. If anything, a Christian God would get in the way, what with tithing, statements about rich men and camels and needles....

Old 12-09-2012, 05:20 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
To be successful in business, you need only praise the almighty dollar. If anything, a Christian God would get in the way, what with tithing, statements about rich men and camels and needles....
Yep, just ask the Christian Broadcasting Network, the Trinity Broadcasting Network, Focus on the Family and James Dobson, New Life Church, Benny Hinn, Joel Osteen, etc, etc, etc. God LOVES the dollar!!!!!

Old 12-09-2012, 06:01 PM

1,971 posts, read 1,934,965 times
christian tv costs money. tv preachers have to pay the local stations(abc, cbs, etc) to air thier programs. a popular christian on youtube who is inspired by christian tv tried to make money by asking his subscribers to donate money to him because he got fired from 3 jobs using conpany resources to burn kent hovind dvds and giving it to costumers. he claimed that he is not allowed to preach the gospel at work ignoring rules of the workplace. he got in trouble with his parents and the tax man after he claimed he will give some of the money to a local children's hospital and pocketing the money. another atheist youtuber said he played the donation card too early he should wait until he got on tv

Old 12-10-2012, 07:29 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
If you have occasion to talk to this person again you could ask her why some of the famous atheists you know are so successful.

There are lists available, but they include:

Jesse Ventura
Woody Allen
Jodie Foster
Katherine Hepburn
Brad Pitt
Robin Williams
Stephen Hawking
Alfred Nobel
Linus Torvalds
Thomas Edison
Dave Barry
Kurt Vonnegut
Billy Joel
Frank Zappa.

I could certainly go on, but it's safe to say that the evidence does not support your friend's view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism