U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 05:32 PM

168 posts, read 190,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
I'll believe in Christianity, when Christians believe in Zoroastrianism. Deal?
Most people have never heard of "Zoroastrian" or whatever that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 05:39 PM

21,044 posts, read 19,593,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliganO View Post
Will any of you atheists/agnostics ever consider converting to Christianity in the future? I knew two friends who were atheists but converted to Christianity but did not join any organized religion or church.
NOPE! I consider it a form of mass hysteria, weak, meaningless, unnecessary, misleading, judgemental, sexist, stupid and a crutch....

Old 12-28-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
NOPE! I consider it a form of mass hysteria, weak, meaningless, unnecessary, misleading, judgemental, sexist, stupid and a crutch....

Old 12-28-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
You may confuse Jewish scriptures with Christian & gospels of Christ...

Jesus was loving and peaceful
Ya, but his followers are NOT!

Old 12-28-2012, 05:42 PM

3,881 posts, read 7,321,836 times
Quote:
Christianity is the world's largest religion and the dominant religion in the western world. More people believe in Jesus than any other historical person, and is the most influential man.

Billions of people follow Christ, including Muslims who believe he was an important prophet and messiah.

Google for evidence of his existence
Moderator cut: edit

And what we've already gone of with him/her is that just because billions and billions of people believe in something does not make it truth. If those same billions then turned around and decided that those 6-legged cow and elephants you were joking about upthread were the new saviors, would you jump on board too?

And I have Googled and found that the only existence of Jesus is documented only in religious texts, not secular or in general history. Also that true historical documents that have been noted during the alleged time of Jesus Christ don't even mention him. Now how is it that someone as important as the son of god isn't well-documented throughout the entire world.

Personally, if I were god and sent down my only son to save people, I'd make his presence known and irrefutable like the sun that rises and sets, the air we breath, the water we need for survival, gravity and the earth. Something that no one can deny and wouldn't need the reliance of faith as its main source of proof. I would never rely on silly humans to translate and deliver the most important messages in the world to be so easily misconstrued, mistranslated and twisted.

Man created god. This is what I believe.

Last edited by june 7th; 12-29-2012 at 11:06 AM..

Old 12-28-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Why the shocked expression???

You ARE in the atheist forum(trying to recruit )....what did you expect?

Old 12-28-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Hey is this Nunnor?!?!?

Cause we've already had this discussion.

And what we've already gone of with him/her is that just because billions and billions of people believe in something does not make it truth. If those same billions then turned around and decided that those 6-legged cow and elephants you were joking about upthread were the new saviors, would you jump on board too?

And I have Googled and found that the only existence of Jesus is documented only in religious texts, not secular or in general history. Also that true historical documents that have been noted during the alleged time of Jesus Christ don't even mention him. Now how is it that someone as important as the son of god isn't well-documented throughout the entire world.

Personally, if I were god and sent down my only son to save people, I'd make his presence known and irrefutable like the sun that rises and sets, the air we breath, the water we need for survival, gravity and the earth. Something that no one can deny and wouldn't need the reliance of faith as its main source of proof. I would never rely on silly humans to translate and deliver the most important messages in the world to be so easily misconstrued, mistranslated and twisted.

Man created god. This is what I believe.
No I'm pretty sure you had similar discussion earlier, but people change their minds.

If Jesus did not exist, why do you think billions follow him? He must have existed

Secular sources...

http://www.probe.org/site/c.fdKEIMNs...an_Sources.htm

http://www.gotquestions.org/did-Jesus-exist.html

Last edited by JuliganO; 12-28-2012 at 05:53 PM..

Old 12-28-2012, 06:10 PM

3,881 posts, read 7,321,836 times
Quote:
No I'm pretty sure you had similar discussion earlier, but people change their minds.

If Jesus did not exist, why do you think billions follow him? He must have existed

Secular sources...

Ancient Evidence for Jesus from Non-Christian Sources - Probe Ministries

Did Jesus really exist? Is there any historical evidence of Jesus Christ?
I can't tell you why people chose to believe. I only know that historically, large groups of people have been known to believe many things that we later found out was wrong and even today, large groups of people believe many things that others easily find absurd or without any merit. I can only surmise that 1) people believe because they need to believe as in they need answers for life's mysteries such as what happens after we die and if there is a supreme being watching us and guiding us 2) many people are scared into believing for fear of the perceived repercussions, many are just born and raised into and and taught never to question and others are just victims of group think ie. everyone else thinks so so I'm with them!

And the links you posted are religious-based sources so they are going to be biased towards their agenda.

Here are a few links if you are interested:

Jesus Myth - The Case Against Historical Christ

Christ myth theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (and while it is Wikipedia, its a strong starting point with dozens of references for further research)

Old 12-28-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
And the links you posted are religious-based sources so they are going to be biased towards their agenda.

Christ myth theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (and while it is Wikipedia, its a strong starting point with dozens of references for further research)
My links were not religious sites. If you clearly read them, you would have known why and how.

Your link provided was created by an atheist... Sorry it's false.

Jesus did exist, but nobody could proof he was God.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:19 PM

8,427 posts, read 9,181,165 times
Quote:
I can't tell you why people chose to believe. I only know that historically, large groups of people have been known to believe many things that we later found out was wrong and even today, large groups of people believe many things that others easily find absurd or without any merit. I can only surmise that 1) people believe because they need to believe as in they need answers for life's mysteries such as what happens after we die and if there is a supreme being watching us and guiding us 2) many people are scared into believing for fear of the perceived repercussions, many are just born and raised into and and taught never to question and others are just victims of group think ie. everyone else thinks so so I'm with them!

Right. Can't cite pro religious sites. Nope against the rules.

But it is OK to cite anti-religious sites and Wiki, where any fool can post opinion as fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism