Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 04:38 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,607 times

Advertisements

NO!!!!

I can't think of one good reason to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 04:53 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
I cannot see any way that I could convert to Christianity. The Christian god is simply too unlikely and he is not a loving or kind god.

It is possible that I could become a Deist if evidence of any god was presented in a way that made real sense, but the Christian god? Nope.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:55 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,936,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliganO View Post
Will any of you atheists/agnostics ever consider converting to Christianity in the future? I knew two friends who were atheists but converted to Christianity but did not join any organized religion or church.

i can't believe in the impossible

Old 12-28-2012, 05:04 PM

19,960 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I can only speak for myself, and I can say no at this point in my life ... The reason for this is because I spent much of my life identifying myself as a Christian...
I'm not one given to "me too" posts, but my response would have been very similar to yours. The OP seems to assume we haven't already drank the Kool-Aid before. Many of us have -- quite possibly more than have not. So it is not a simple question of "finally" being convinced; often it is a matter of having to be re-convinced. Since the first time around was probably when we were little children who were simply trusting the adults in our lives, it is generally much harder the second time around, now that we're adults -- unless one left theism for reasons other than actual unbelief. Sometimes, people aren't unbelieving so much as angry / disappointed and if so it's possible to reconsider that response. This seems to be where most theists assume we unbelievers are coming from. But most of us simply. Don't. Believe. This is a very hard concept to grasp, apparently.

And we're only talking here about a particular god. Another concept that just doesn't seem to get across to Christian theists is that our unbelief in Jesus is just as palpable as their unbelief in Thor or Orin or Vishnu. A true atheists doesn't believe in ANY god(s) -- Yahweh & Son are just one of many.

Unlike one of the other posters here, who inexplicably suggested he would not believe even if there were evidence, I think actual evidence would do the trick for most of us, myself included. I have every reason to believe that, e.g., my wife, children, pets, and clients exist ... I would just need similar evidence for a god.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:15 PM

168 posts, read 244,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
And we're only talking here about a particular god. Another concept that just doesn't seem to get across to Christian theists is that our unbelief in Jesus is just as palpable as their unbelief in Thor or Orin or Vishnu. A true atheists doesn't believe in ANY god(s) -- Yahweh & Son are just one of many.
How could you possibly compare funny and silly pegan figures with Jesus ?! At least there are enough historical and scientific evidence of his existence, and he was a human who walked on earth. Sorry but cannot believe how some Hindus believe in "gods" that are cows, elephants, 6 hands and 6 feet, etc.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:19 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
It would take a miracle to convert me.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:19 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,607 times
Quote:
How could you possibly compare funny and silly pegan figures with Jesus ?! At least there are enough historical and scientific evidence of his existence, and he was a human who walked on earth. Sorry but cannot believe how some Hindus believe in "gods" that are cows, elephants, 6 hands and 6 feet, etc. :D
And just how you can't believe in their gods, others cannot believe in yours.

Also still have not seen enough credible "historical or scientific" evidence of Jesus' existence outside of biased religious doctrine.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:21 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
Quote:
You may confuse Jewish scriptures with Christian & gospels of Christ...

Jesus was loving and peaceful
Jesus quite possibly never existed. Certainly not as the son of god. God has also never existed.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:28 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,706,810 times
I'll believe in Christianity, when Christians believe in Zoroastrianism. Deal?

Old 12-28-2012, 05:30 PM

168 posts, read 244,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
And just how you can't believe in their gods, others cannot believe in yours.

Also still have not seen enough credible "historical or scientific" evidence of Jesus' existence outside of biased religious doctrine.
Christianity is the world's largest religion and the dominant religion in the western world. More people believe in Jesus than any other historical person, and is the most influential man.

Billions of people follow Christ, including Muslims who believe he was an important prophet and messiah.

Google for evidence of his existence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism