U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 01:48 PM

168 posts, read 189,864 times

Advertisements

Will any of you atheists/agnostics ever consider converting to Christianity in the future? I knew two friends who were atheists but converted to Christianity but did not join any organized religion or church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 01:56 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,114,454 times
I can't imagine ever believing in anything like a god.

In my entire 67 years, I have never experienced anything remotely supernatural.

I admit some things like magnetism are absolutely amazing, but they are not supernatural. It only shows the reality of the Universe is more complex than just a 3-dimensional space with various atoms floating around.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:08 PM

3,404 posts, read 2,250,975 times
I am sure some will. There are folks on these forums who have made that choice. Others have converted to other religions like Islam.

While not ruling it out definitively (I am not a prophet, and cannot predict my own future with certainly), I can say that it is highly unlikely that I will return to Christianity. I made a conscious decision to leave, and my reasons have not changed. It is possible that at some point I will pursue some alternate form of spirituality, but not likely. Too many of the same problems I have with Christianity apply to most other religions for me to really be interested.

To be honest I am more comfortable in my own skin after having left the faith. I feel like I exhibit far more of the "fruit of the Spirit" now that I don't actually believe in that Spirit. I have left a huge load of guilt and perfomance anxiety behind by taking responsibility for my own choices and desires. I still sometime struggle to internalize the idea that I am not subject to the will of a capricious unknowable being who likes to play hide and seek, but I am a free, independent agent who can both make choices and deal with the consequences.

-NoCapo

Old 12-28-2012, 02:22 PM

794 posts, read 1,196,025 times
The only possible scenario where I start thinking Zeus, Yahweh, Santa, pixies, demons etc are real involves a brain injury. So I won't say it's impossible, but the odds are very low.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:55 PM

3,748 posts, read 6,151,367 times
Even if Jesus himself approached me, I would not convert. I don't believe that what name one gives to one's sprituality is going to be any deciding factor.
God/Jesus will see inside my soul and know that I am more Christian like than most Christians in my attitude and actions, minus all the Sundays and sermons.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:35 PM

4,144 posts, read 5,108,647 times
No. Even if there were evidence that supported it, I would never follow it.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:52 PM

8,399 posts, read 9,145,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliganO View Post
Will any of you atheists/agnostics ever consider converting to Christianity in the future? I knew two friends who were atheists but converted to Christianity but did not join any organized religion or church.
I too have a good friend who told me two years ago he became a Christian after many years of atheism. I was surprised, because I knew the fellow for 10 years and we both went to the same church.

He said there was too much evidence available to deny the existance of God. Perhaps he should have not read all those books about astrophysics, mathematics and biology. That's what did him in-so he said. He is an electrical engineer, if it matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
No. Even if there were evidence that supported it, I would never follow it.
Very telling post. *You guys* are always asking for evidence. And so even if it were provided you would reject what it pointed to. Huh.

Last edited by Mr5150; 12-28-2012 at 04:01 PM..

Old 12-28-2012, 04:28 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,975,734 times
I can only speak for myself, and I can say no at this point in my life.
The reason for this is because I spent much of my life identifying myself as a Christian. At some point, I came to a realiation that my problems in life stemmed from my beliefs and my thoughts. When I had to make changes in my life as was neccesary for personal and financial success, I had to look at religion and how it was impeding and interfering with my life. I spent a long time looking at Christianity and realized that it does not work for me.
Why would I drift into something that simply does not work ? Why invlove myeslf in something that is going to cause more porbems and negativity than benefits?

We would not knowingly put our money into a stock fund that is proven time and tiemm again to lose money. Nor would we be likely to buy a brand of car that has been a lemon the last time we got it? Would any of us ingest a substance that someone says "Here drink this, it is poison and it might kill you?"

I cannot see going in to a system that is philosophically and emotionally. I do not need to buy into a social network of sorts in order to make myself feel complete or validated.

And at the core of this, is the little fact that I do not believe. I do not believe that there is a creator diety who made the earth and humans "In his own image" I do not believe that the Essene prophet of Jesu (Jesus) was a unique incarnation of the aforementioned god either, nor do I believe that this individual returned from the dead. I do not think he is ever coming back either. I believe the Bible to be only a great collection of folk tales/myths and include some writings of a person suffering from serious delusions of grandeur (Paul) aas well as other mental illness. SO believing about this book, this religion, this god as I do, how well would I fit in there anyway ?

Old 12-28-2012, 04:32 PM

5,421 posts, read 7,891,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliganO View Post

No. Stop asking.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:37 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,598,272 times
I don't see how anyone with a rational enough mind to be an atheist/agnostic or even Deist could ever convert to Christianity. It would be like an intelligent, educated & mentally sound adult believing in Santa Clause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism