U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 01:50 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,467,189 times

Advertisements

How do you have a personal relationship with someone you have never met or seen? All you have is stories in a book about said person. People don't go around saying they have a personal relationship with Robin Hood or Harry Potter or other characters in books. It reminds me of the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip about a boy who has an imaginary relationship with his stuffed tiger who only comes alive in the boy's presence aka imagination. Everybody else but him sees it for the lifeless stuffed animal it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 02:36 PM

3,334 posts, read 5,260,050 times
Wow...I never thought about it like that: Calvin and Hobbes. That is a really good analogy.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:43 PM

40,892 posts, read 18,562,052 times
And nuns are "brides of Christ."

Old 12-30-2012, 02:48 PM

13,570 posts, read 21,715,728 times
IMO, a personal relationship with anything is just that...a personal relationship, bond, tie. In my case, my beliefs are personal, not open to debate and will never be forced or bible thumped on anyone. Because....it's personal between the Creator and myself
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-01-2013 at 01:40 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 03:04 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,467,189 times
I will still say that if you haven't met the person or entity (god) then you have a relationship with an idea in your head, nothing more...contrary to what you may have convinced yourself otherwise. When people talk about having relationships outside of the "faith in God or Jesus" thing with people they have never met, they are referred to a psychologist for possible schizophrenia delusional type thinking for good reason. Of course "faith" gives people a free pass to believe all sorts of nonsense. Let us not forget 9/11 where hijackers thought 72 virgins were waiting for them in some paradise after crashing a plane into a building filled with people.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:27 PM

14,191 posts, read 9,079,084 times
The "personal relationship" thing is largely an invention of evangelicals, as a contrast to the more ritual and custom-oriented observance of mainline denominations. The selling point is that it's "relationship, not religion" -- it's living, dynamic, and personal, not dead, static and intellectual. Evangelicals regard much of Protestantism as ossified and boring. Having a "personal relationship with Christ" is their antidote. It is also how they market themselves to prospective converts ... "Jesus is the friend of sinners, he will set you free", as one gospel chorus of theirs goes. With Jesus you'll never be lonely, afraid, or bereft because he "sticks closer than a brother".

All nonsense, of course, but all those people at the church claims it's so and they seem happy and you don't want to be the dummy who doesn't "get it". So you play along and figure it'll come to you. If you're a sufficiently emotional, touchy-feely type of person, the happy-clappy music and upbeat, winner-take-all ethos of the preaching will probably do the trick. If not, you'll just keep playing along. Some people, you know, have a strong need to belong, and will commit intellectual suicide if they have to in order to be accepted. Others are much more easily carried away by subjective feelings than others.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:32 PM

915 posts, read 1,840,818 times
This sort of thing, IMO, is a methodology of control. And by those who may very well know the real, underlying purpose, whether consciously or subconsciously.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:13 PM

1,639 posts, read 1,565,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
And nuns are "brides of Christ."
Actually the Church is the Bride of Christ.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:22 PM

1,639 posts, read 1,565,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
How do you have a personal relationship with someone you have never met or seen? All you have is stories in a book about said person. People don't go around saying they have a personal relationship with Robin Hood or Harry Potter or other characters in books. It reminds me of the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip about a boy who has an imaginary relationship with his stuffed tiger who only comes alive in the boy's presence aka imagination. Everybody else but him sees it for the lifeless stuffed animal it is.
The experience of me being pulled out of the pit that is sorcery and the occult has solidified a bond that can't be expressed with words properly. This bond is with Christ. It is very personal. Even more so than a bond with a "best friend". He knows me better than I know myself.

Like when Paul got pulled up to the third heaven, he couldn't describe it with words.

I understand the vagueness of it all, but that does not negate ones experience.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:23 PM

168 posts, read 189,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
How do you have a personal relationship with someone you have never met or seen?
We see Jesus and Virgin Mary thru images and statues..... We will meet them in heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism