Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 05:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times

Advertisements

Again, you can be true to yourself without being combative. You came here seeking opinions. The fact that you're so combative when you receive feedback that don't provide affirmation is a big clue as to what the real problem is. (Hint: it's not your non-atheist friends.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 05:21 PM

915 posts, read 2,128,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Again, you can be true to yourself without being combative. You came here seeking opinions. The fact that you're so combative when you receive feedback that don't provide affirmation are a big clue as to what the real problem is. (Hint: it's not your non-atheist friends.)
But I'm not being combative, but merely stating my perspective. That's just your interpretation. I swear, it just seems that way to you....BTW, it's "feedback...doesn't"
and "is a big clue."

What I think is that precise use of language, like precise thinking, really does annoy people. This, perhaps, is the real problem.

Last edited by mvintar; 12-30-2012 at 05:29 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
But I'm not being combative, but merely stating my perspective. That's just your interpretation.
And I'll be darned if your perspective doesn't amount to "you're wrong." Why did you bother asking for our feedback if you're just going to argue with the feedback you receive?

Keep on alienating your erstwhile friends if that's what you want to do. You could have done that without asking us for our input.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:35 PM

511 posts, read 491,329 times
Quote:
I love this forum and finally decided to post. My favorite writer is Bertrand Russell, whom I've been reading since I was a teenager. I love his prose style! He won the Nobel prize for literature the year I was born, 1950. Throughout my adult life, whenever I get down, I read Russell and it cheers me up. When I discovered Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris, it was even better.

I recently had a little run in with ovarian cancer, and both in RL (real life) and online, if someone starts to offer religious consolation, it is beyond me to be gracious about it. I feel compelled to say that I don't believe I anything supernatural, thank you, and I don't care to hear it. This frequently causes people to get angry with me, to sabotage and snipe at me, and to accuse me of being hostile.

Personally, I believe religion to be not only fraudulent nonsense but harmful; nothing that religion could be said to accomplish could not have been done better, IMO, by rational thinking.

More Hitchens' view, I believe. So am I wrong to express my distaste in this manner?
Not wrong...just self-absorbed.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:38 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,202 times
First off, hope you are well and continue to be so.

Second, you are not wrong.

I personally don't get offended or upset by people offering blessings or prayers, etc. I don't believe in their efficacy of course, but I generally feel as if they are offered in a sincere bid to help or give comfort; a nice gesture.

So, unless someone gets terribly pedantic or pushy I tend to just think they are attempting to be kind.

If you feel you must say something (and it is certainly not out of bounds to say something) you might just preface it with something like

"Well, I appreciate that, but I am not religious"

or

"Thank you, but I don't believe in these things. Perhaps you should save your energy for someone else"

or something. I dunno.

I am not happy about it, but I do feel we have to coddle The Believers if we are interested in avoiding head-butting contests.

It makes no sense to argue with someone who has abdicated reason, after all.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
And I'll be darned if your perspective doesn't amount to "you're wrong." Why did you bother asking for our feedback if you're just going to argue with the feedback you receive?

Keep on alienating your erstwhile friends if that's what you want to do. You could have done that without asking us for our input.
What I have noticed, over and over again in public forums is writers not understanding that debating issues is distinct from personal attack. It seems like a subtle distinction, but it's really not. So instantly--after perhaps as few as one or two exchanges-- go right to a critique *of the person*, rather than staying at the level of the free exchange of ideas.

This is associated with the logical fallacy ad hominem.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem125 View Post
Not wrong...just self-absorbed.
Oops...you need to read the TOS ("Terms of Service") on CD: No personal attacks.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
But I'm not being combative, but merely stating my perspective. That's just your interpretation. I swear, it just seems that way to you....BTW, it's "feedback...doesn't"
and "is a big clue."
Sorry, Subject-Verb Agreement Cop. I didn't realize this was a term paper -- I'll be sure to proofread more carefully next time. (I'm sure you'll let me know if that was an improper use of dashes.) Yeah, you're not being combative or argumentative at all.

The more you post, the more apparent the true source of the problem becomes.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:51 PM

I make lots of errors but when someone corrects my spelling/grammar I'm grateful, not resentful.

But read the TOS, please? No personal attacks! :-)

Old 12-30-2012, 06:04 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,542,599 times
Quote:
I love this forum and finally decided to post. My favorite writer is Bertrand Russell, whom I've been reading since I was a teenager. I love his prose style! He won the Nobel prize for literature the year I was born, 1950. Throughout my adult life, whenever I get down, I read Russell and it cheers me up. When I discovered Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris, it was even better.

I recently had a little run in with ovarian cancer, and both in RL (real life) and online, if someone starts to offer religious consolation, it is beyond me to be gracious about it. I feel compelled to say that I don't believe I anything supernatural, thank you, and I don't care to hear it. This frequently causes people to get angry with me, to sabotage and snipe at me, and to accuse me of being hostile.

Personally, I believe religion to be not only fraudulent nonsense but harmful; nothing that religion could be said to accomplish could not have been done better, IMO, by rational thinking.

More Hitchens' view, I believe. So am I wrong to express my distaste in this manner?
If??? An academic situation--geez.

Gads....you atheists are so uptight.

May the gods forbid if you should be in a hospital and some well meaning chaplin wants to give you comfort.

Am I (a Christian) offended if some secular person wishes me his or her positive thoughts regarding my "cancer"? Nope. Are any of my theist friends offended? Nope.

Get over it, smile, and be gracious.

I sus pect people get angry with you, because you are hostile. People are people and no one gets angry with another person with out cause. If indeed you politly say no thanks 99% of people are cool with that and will go away. Either you attract fanatics or....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism