Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:09 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times

Advertisements

My own view is that trying to use grammatical errors to negate the validity of any argument or to suggest that this renders that argument worthless is both arrogant and symptomatic of an underlying weakness in your own position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 10:18 PM

561 posts, read 1,180,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
Vegetarian and AR (animal rights) issues may be trivial--to you--but they are not trivial to millions of people, besides myself.
Absolutely, and that's another complex issue, and another discussion entirely. [And yes, the Herzog book helps illustrate how complex it is.]

My point is, the fact that there was some cheese with your veggies does nothing to counter the egregiously cruel and destructive industrial farm system (both plant and animal).

Again, I want to be clear: I don't think vegetarian and AR issues are trivial; only that fretting over a bit of cheese is because it doesn't change anything.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:18 PM

915 posts, read 2,128,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
You missed a space between 'absurd,' and 'insulting' (which you corrected after the fact). Does that render your perspective worthless? Does it say something about your intelligence?
No, what it means is that I have MS and I'm lying in bed, typing on a tiny Smartphone screen with my index finger.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:21 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
Quote:
No, what it means is that I have MS and I'm lying in bed, typing on a tiny Smartphone screen with my index finger.
So you have an excuse but are unwilling to admit, or even ask about, why others might make an error. Instead, you leap to conclusions about their intelligence and dismiss their arguments.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:21 PM

561 posts, read 1,180,007 times
Quote:
Oh, OK. I didn't know that. If I'd know that from the start (hopefully) my first few posts wouldn't have been so harsh. Again, I'm truly sorry for not being more sensitive.

Last edited by Apathizer; 12-30-2012 at 10:50 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 10:26 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Vegetarian and AR (animal rights) issues may be trivial--to you--but they are not trivial to millions of people, besides myself.
If you meant you are Vegan, then I can understand not wanting cheese, but many vegetarians do use dairy products, they just do not eat meat. There is a vegetarian form of rennet. Vegetarian rennet can be made in a few different ways, but never involves killing an animal directly. There are vegetarian rennets derived from fungi, and plants, as well as lab-created genetically engineered rennet that otherwise mimics the real thing.

That said, you are probably correct that the cheese given in the hospital was not vegetarian as most people do not know the difference.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
If you meant you are Vegan, then I can understand not wanting cheese, but many vegetarians do use dairy products, they just do not eat meat. There is a vegetarian form of rennet. Vegetarian rennet can be made in a few different ways, but never involves killing an animal directly. There are vegetarian rennets derived from fungi, and plants, as well as lab-created genetically engineered rennet that otherwise mimics the real thing.

That said, you are probably correct that the cheese given in the hospital was not vegetarian as most people do not know the difference.
Right right right; vegetarians who eat dairy are lacto--, those that eat eggs, Ovo--,
why would you think I wouldn't know that? I'm vegan, but I wasn't "fretting" over the issue, as my BA in psychology friend characterized it, merely observing that hospitals where mother and I had surgeries had antiquated notions about food.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
So you have an excuse but are unwilling to admit, or even ask about, why others might make an error. Instead, you leap to conclusions about their intelligence and dismiss their arguments.
MS is an "excuse?"

Old 12-31-2012, 04:19 AM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
I do think it helps our lives as atheists to "come out" as such. Remember how many people didn't think they knew any gay people, and how it affected their perceptions and votes? Once they learned that cousin Jim or the woman down the street were gay, they were/are more likely to see gay people as citizens like anyone else.
I feel that saying one is atheist is sort of the same. I've met a lot of people who don't think they ever met an athiest until I say I am one.
Now, a few people are praying for me- specifically, for my soul. I find this rather pretentious and do point out that they should focus on someone else- that I'll stand on my life and actions if that day comes.
I will admit to being hypocritical a few times with older people who really do believe and telling them I'd say a prayer for them. They seem happy with that. In my mind, saying or not saying it has the same effect (none) so yeah, I pick my battles, too.
For those who told their kids in Newtown, CT, that god wanted more angels... I bet those kids are terrified to do anything for fear of being called to be an angel in such a brutal way. Why can't people just admit they are as horrified and mystified by brutality and evil as any non-believer? Is "I don't know" so terrible?

Old 12-31-2012, 04:44 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
I don't know is the answer that you should use when you don't know...there's nothing wrong with it, it's sure better than making things up and telling kids that this god needs angels now and then; you're damned if you're good and you're damned if you're bad.
Guess I should've been glad when I was told "god loves everyone, except you"..I am illigitimate, which makes me a "child of the devil", as said by that wonderful nun in kindergarten. This to make sure all the kids there were afraid of me and shunned me. This happened 40 years ago, not that long. At least I didn't have to worry about becoming an angel..
Don't no one tell me those lies never hurt anyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism