Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider yourself an agnostic or atheist?
agnostic 57 36.54%
atheist 99 63.46%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 07:16 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,625,784 times

Advertisements

These are not mutually exclusive options.

Agnostic doesn't mean undecided. "Gnostic" refers to knowledge. The prefix "A" represents the absence of the term that follows. So someone who is agnostic on the subject of god claims to have no knowledge of whether god exists or not, or even that such knowledge is impossible to have. We simply can not prove it one way or another. The question of whether or not deities exist is not knowable by human beings, at least not at this point in time, and therefore I am agnostic.

"Theist" is someone who believes in a deity or many of them. Again the prefix "A" indicates an absence of theism. I lack belief that any deities exist, because I have seen no evidence which leads me to believe that they do. Therefore I am also an atheist.

I am an agnostic atheist. I acknowledge that it is possible that deities exist, but I do not believe that they do. Certainly none of the ones dreamed up by humanity have a shred of evidence to support their existence, and most of them are mutually exclusive, claiming that all the others are figments. I think they are all figments.

It is also possible to be an agnostic theist - to acknowledge that the existence of deities is not knowable, but to believe anyway. Then there is that rare breed of the gnostic atheist who claims to know that no deities exist - but there are very few of these and I submit that it is not a well thought out position, hence gnostic atheists tend to turn into agnostic ones as they mature and think more deeply on the subject. And of course gnostic theists are rampant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 09:01 AM

18,368 posts, read 19,001,489 times
I used to say agnostic, thought it was a more acceptable way of saying I don't believe. but in thinking on it, I now just cut the BS and say, I am an atheist.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:10 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,548,597 times
I actually don't spend much time on the subject.

Others have labeled me as they see fit and I really don't care.

To paraphrase Popeye, I am what I am.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:19 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,714,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
Agnosticism could also be define as believing that it's impossible to know if god exists. This is different from being convinced that god does not exist. Err, think anyway.

This is the type of meta-thinking I was hoping to entice.
No its not.

I believe (am agnostic) that it is fundamentally impossible to know if gods exist (due to the SUPERnatural state they would be in) therefore I am not convinced that any god exists.

Hence, agnostic atheist.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:33 AM

438 posts, read 946,576 times
Technically, I suppose I'm agnostic and atheist. Can I be absolutely certain that no god being exists? 'Course not. But I consider it unlikely, and live as though there is no god. Practically speaking, an atheist. I identify with that term more than agnostic.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:37 AM

247 posts, read 236,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Then there is that rare breed of the gnostic atheist who claims to know that no deities exist - but there are very few of these and I submit that it is not a well thought out position, hence gnostic atheists tend to turn into agnostic ones as they mature and think more deeply on the subject.
^^
What Tilli said ...but especially this part, since the above is what most people seem to think an atheist is when it's actually a negligible number of us. I was never remotely "gnostic" but it still took probably 15 years for me to finally begin self-identifying as atheist instead of agnostic if pressed. I still tend to simply say I'm not religious rather than invite "conversation" on the subject since most people seem to operate under the assumption we have an ax to grind for simply holding a position of disbelief until we have a reason not to.

One gets it on both ends of the spectrum, but it's never really fun to have somebody else define your beliefs and start arguing against them before you even have a chance to open your mouth.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:53 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,177,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
While agreeing that it's apples and oranges, I chose the one I most identify with / think of myself as / present myself as, which is atheist.
Same.

I may not be able to KNOW for a certainty that there is no planet Pandora that has rich unobtanium deposits. I feel ok saying I don't believe in the existence of said planet since there is no evidence except for a work of fiction.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:10 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,890,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
I'm curious why some persons think they know or don't know anything with a high degree of certainty.
None of us KNOW what is going on in the Universe. There may be a god.

However, I definitely BELIEVE there are no supernatural beings like a god, so that makes me an Atheist.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:52 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,656,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I don't understand Agnostics.

We all should be able to decide if we believe in gods or not. It's not a hard decision to make.
Not hard for you, perhaps. I truly don't have a belief in any direction.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:22 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,890,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Not hard for you, perhaps. I truly don't have a belief in any direction.
Seriously?

What about belief in unicorns? Are you agnostic with respect to their existence? No belief either way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism