U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 11:22 PM
3DJ

9 posts, read 7,548 times

Advertisements

My upbringing was semi religious. Ironically, it was reading the bible that made me want no part of Christianity. It proved itself to make no sense and that it had nothing there to believe in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 11:27 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,766,104 times
I was raised in a Jewish household. I had a Bar Mitzvah. I never believed in god. At all.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:08 PM

13,677 posts, read 13,590,780 times
My mother dragged me to church and my entire family, except for my indifferently Methodist father (a closeted agnostic), was Catholic. I never bought into it - it always seemed silly. As I grew older and came to understand the concept of empiricism and learned the histories of various religions (including the branches of Christianity), I didn't even bother to pretend to belief anymore. I think learning about the similarities between Jesus's death and resurrection to other stories from older religions (Osiris, anyone?) was the final nail in the coffin.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:00 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,489,713 times
I was raised by religiously ambivalent parents who were a Catholic and a Hindu. I did believe in God when I was very young and tried to reconcile polytheism with Angels and Gods being different words for the same thing in the two traditions. However, the story of God was too inconsistent with the other information I was hearing about, like the Big Bang, and with no one enforcing dogma on me I quickly decided it was like the Easter Bunny or Toothfairy and not real. Indeed, belief in Santa Clause persisted longer because it seemed like there was more evidence and the story was more cohesive. After Santa, I was pretty sure there was no such thing as supernatural entities and I'm now very sure as an adult. I appreciate mythology as art and for its ceremony, but do not believe in the truth of the worldview.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:45 AM

8,628 posts, read 13,889,691 times
When an old thread like this has risin from the dead( as in the religious farytails) is a little strange, as many more current discussions/threads have been hashed and hotly debated since.

Few people can be converted to religious order thinking by way of talk. Proof would go a long way to convince so many eatherway. That will never happen when the main goal of the religions is to control the people' minds.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:47 PM

2,826 posts, read 1,865,480 times
Most of the atheists I've met here will vehemently deny that they had anything to do with the church ever. But I have trouble buying that.

If you had no reason to hate the church, there would just be nothing there. You would have no feelings at all about religion, not a need to try to deconvert people.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:02 PM

3,404 posts, read 2,250,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Most of the atheists I've met here will vehemently deny that they had anything to do with the church ever. But I have trouble buying that.

If you had no reason to hate the church, there would just be nothing there. You would have no feelings at all about religion, not a need to try to deconvert people.
Really? I though we were at most something like 60/40 free range atheists vs deconverts. There are quite a few of us who were quite deeply and intimately involved in a faith, and faith community. And to be honest, we are often the loudest (or at least the most wordy )

And while there is a lot about my former faith that I now see as pretty unconscionable, I don't "hate church". I mean I don't get much out of most services, but hate is a strong word. I do hate what I see as some pretty horrific abuses: the usurpation of government authority for religious propagation, the inculcation of an attitude of guilt, shame,fear, and self loathing, particularly in children, the marginalization and demonization of those who are different, and the prioritization of doctrine and dogma over relationships and other people.

I am not particularly interested in "deconverting" folks. I am interested in supporting and encouraging those who were in the position I was in. It really sucks when the thing that is supposed to help you transcend your human failings is crushing you, when you feel abandoned by God, when you cannot be honest about what you are going through, because the doubts you feel are just not acceptable. I hope that I can help others who are struggling to see that the end of faith is often just the beginning, and you can find freedom and peace apart from a god.

-NoCapo

Old 04-05-2016, 12:49 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,775,529 times
My dad was an atheist. My mom was a Roman Catholic. That said, I never really held any view until I was a teen.

And then the awkward fact presented itself to me that I was gay. The societal pressure to be "normal" made me retreat into the false safety net of christian fundamentalism. I became a really self-righteous ********. Though I never condemned homosexuality I still took the high road and thought that I had "The Answer" to everyone's problems. And, of course, that answer was "Jesus." Man, looking back I am honestly embarrassed by my behavior.

One night, around the age of 22 or so, I was particularly troubled by the truth of my own nature so I took a walk and ended up at a small park. I can still remember exactly where it was: the park maintained by the Grain Belt Brewery in Northeast Minneapolis. I was finally coming face-to-face with the reality that I just liked guys. I didn't hate women. Not at all. I just liked men. I couldn't deny it. It was the way that I was wired.

At that moment I sat on a bench in the middle of the night and said to "God" that I was who I was, and if it didn't conform to what society expected then it was His fault, not mine. And it was also at that moment that I said goodbye to that god, because I just could not reconcile the truth of my own existence to the fable that had grown up around the deity of Christianity.

I am in no way a Christian. And I will always fight against the dark stupidity of fundamentalism, regardless of its particular religious source. But I also do not identify as an atheist. I do believe there is more to Nature than we think there is. Our human senses are limited and it is typical human hubris to think that we know what is really going on in the Universe. It doesn't mean that I think there is some sort of "god." But I do think there is something out there that very well may be completely unfathomable to the human mind. Calling it "God" though, is just lazy.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:09 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,280,365 times
Quote:

I am sorry if Atheists describing their reality to you does not gel with the reality you wish to subscribe to, but it would be worth noting this is your failure not theirs.

Many, myself included, would actually like to have nothing to do with Religion or the Church. We would love to just let it all go, ignore it, live and let live and all that.

We are simply not let.

There are many things I am interested in, and even actively involved in. Politics, Sexuality, Science, Charity, Education, Women's rights, Gay rights, Medicine and much much more.

And in not one, not many, but EVERY one of those fields The churches and the religious shove their nose in using religious arguments and scripture and sensibilities like "blasphemy" to stultify thinking, hamper progress, damage rights, control individuals and worse.

I see few here trying to "deconvert" anyone. I know I certainly do not do so. The goal is not to deconvert, but to get people to keep religion where it belongs. Which is OUT of our halls of power, education and science.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:21 AM

39,062 posts, read 10,837,135 times
Quote:

That's a valuable post for underlining probably the strongest and most persistent theist misunderstanding of atheists.

A lifetimer myself, but exposed to religious persuasion all throughout it. I suppose it was a realization of other religions and failure of several end of world predictions that did for religion, for me.

I just wasn't bothered..or rather, I was. I was regularly bothered by evangelicals (mainly JW's) trying to talk me into it, and that meant considering the claims. I recall the Daniel statue prediction and, because I was into archaeology at the time, explaining how it didn't work. But this was not me trying to deconvet others, but saying why I wasn't persuaded.

That was the situation right until I was pushed into really studying the gospels and coming up against the strange closed -mindedness of the faithful to the results. The glaring contradictions were just brushed away with the 'witnesses don't always agree' excuse, the 'explanation that isn't' red herring and even the natural explanation way of getting over miracles (Jesus waded in shallow water(1), the 'keyword sermon' evasion and in the end, the 'Big picture' appeal which is of course 'believe it, and ignore the problems'.

I think it was understanding a big fact about the gospels and how the Big Lie worked that got me looking at the internet debates and from simply wanting to get the realization over I became aware of just how big the lie was, and how influential it was And with the rise of creationism, how dangerous it was.

A study I did then indicated about half deconverts, half lifetimers. I doubt that has changed. Deconversion may well mean that the atheist has an understanding of the need for rollback that some lifetimers don't. That probably depends on how much evangelism they get.

(1) I wasn't even protesting incredulity at the walking on water, but comparing the four accounts, so it is the 'explanation that wasn't' red herring that we often get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or