U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:42 AM

98 posts, read 58,830 times

Advertisements

Strong atheism helds, that most probably nothing beyond the " natural " universe exists.
Please present good reasons to support that claim.
Positive evidence means, strong atheism must stand on its own feet, without religion bashing etc.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:50 AM

40,892 posts, read 18,562,052 times
Please present absolute proof of a negative?

Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 AM

741 posts, read 1,067,122 times
ummm..... I don't think atheism "holds" to anything except for a lack of belief in diety.
Here is some evidence for the existance of atheism...
....I do not have a belief in a diety.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:14 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,972,439 times
The burden of proof is on the prosecution. Atheist don't care if you become atheist, you're the ones trying to convert us.

There is plausible scientific evidence for how the universe was created and how it operates. There is no evidence for higher powers. And certainly, with the state of the world the way it is, any higher deities don't seem worthy of worship.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 AM

242 posts, read 197,051 times
My belief in a nutshell: I'm not sure how everything got here, but I'm pretty sure magic wasn't involved.

(oh wait, ...was that "religion bashing?")

Old 01-09-2013, 12:13 PM

283 posts, read 434,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah888 View Post
Strong atheism helds, that most probably nothing beyond the " natural " universe exists.
Please present good reasons to support that claim.
Positive evidence means, strong atheism must stand on its own feet, without religion bashing etc.

You're unfairly turning the tables on atheists.

The very name "a-theist" means exactly that: non-theist. Or not believing in a theistic diety or God.

So the burden of proof here lies with the theists, or the believers.

The atheists "evidence" about the universe being solely natural and needing no God would be the Theists' inability to prove otherwise.

The burden of proof is always on the one who claims the existence of something. Just like in a court of law: the prosecution has the burden to prove--beyond a reasonable doubt--that the accused indeed committed the crime.

In a fair and balanced debate, the Believers can't have it both ways: that is, to be unable to prove God's existence and also saying to the atheists, "prove to me also why you don't think there's a God.

That's having your communion wafer and eating it too!

Peace.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
ummm..... I don't think atheism "holds" to anything except for a lack of belief in diety.
Here is some evidence for the existance of atheism...
....I do not have a belief in a diety.
please educate yourself about what strong atheism stands for.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post

There is plausible scientific evidence for how the universe was created and how it operates.
please expose that evidence, and how it leads to strong atheism.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaemonkey View Post
My belief in a nutshell: I'm not sure how everything got here, but I'm pretty sure magic wasn't involved.

(oh wait, ...was that "religion bashing?")
magic is a beloved word used by atheists. how about you explain, how everything came to be without a intelligent mind / creator / god. Why is there something, rather than nothing ?

Old 01-09-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety_Split View Post
You're unfairly turning the tables on atheists
No, i am not. If you do not want to justify what you stand for, just dont participate at this thread.

Quote:
The very name "a-theist" means exactly that: non-theist. Or not believing in a theistic diety or God.
and what does a strong atheist stand for ?

Quote:
The atheists "evidence" about the universe being solely natural and needing no God would be the Theists' inability to prove otherwise.
So you rely on a negative ? aka we theists cannot prove God exists, therefore atheism ?

Quote:
The burden of proof is always on the one who claims the existence of something.
I have not claimed anything so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism