Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2013, 04:49 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,079,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
EDITED FOR SPACE
So, in effect, you jump on some unrelated and impossible idea and then try to sell it to others, who would rather not understand any of how it really works, a total illusionary fabrication in order to denounce it entirely.

A very compelling argument, I must admit! ().
You forget Rifleman, some people do not have the intellegence to understand such things as biodiversity, genetic mutation and mathmatical probablility.
It is far easier for them, and their children, when asking "WHY?", to be told "Because god made it that way."

Such a response is much easier than thinking.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:15 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
This post sounds like the first chapters of The Silmarillion.
Tolkien borrowed extensively, so he probably found his inspiration in one or more of the Western European creation myths. If I recall my one or two comparative religion classes, many of the early creation myths were quite similar.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:26 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,986,268 times
I was in a cavern in VA back in 2010 and the guide was convinced they had pieces of the ark in there...I should have picked up a piece

Old 01-27-2013, 12:36 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,069 times
Cool The Way, the Truth and the Unthinkable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
You forget Rifleman, some people do not have the intellegence to understand such things as biodiversity, genetic mutation and mathmatical probablility.
I
t is far easier for them, and their children, when asking "WHY?", to be told "Because god made it that way."

Such a response is much easier than thinking.
Oh I agree with you, LKC. Btw: congrats on your son's naturally curious mindset. Always good to know we have the likes of him to combat the influences of this sort of blithering nonsense & misunderstanding...

"...the Rev. Charles Nalls of Christ the King, a Catholic-Anglican church in the District. [commenting regarding the revelation that ≈64% of the American public believe the bible to be literally true]:

“This poll tells me that America is reading the Bible more than we thought. There had been a tendency to decry or discount Bible literacy among the faithful,” he said.

“But this indicates a strong alliance among Americans with the inerrant word of God, as opposed to simply the inspired word of God, as viewed in the context of faith tradition,” Father Nalls said.

Read more: Most Americans take Bible stories literally - Washington Times "

In essence, the Rev. Nalls really wants, and thus 'sees', this poll to be true, and relishes the idea that this many of us Americans are... officially dumber than a bag of rabbit pellets.

Fact: they arrived at this pathologically mind-numbing position by unthinkingly believing what their Sunday School and Sunday service pastors have told them. After all, why think anything through when you can rely on others, who have been anointed as the guru-tellers of the truth & light, to do that tiresome task for you?

Old 01-27-2013, 10:29 AM

19,952 posts, read 13,447,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Fact: they arrived at this pathologically mind-numbing position by unthinkingly believing what their Sunday School and Sunday service pastors have told them. After all, why think anything through when you can rely on others, who have been anointed as the guru-tellers of the truth & light, to do that tiresome task for you?
I don't think this phenomenon is limited to religion. I've known people who are indifferent to religion but just as unthinking regarding political or social positions. They'd rather let a political party or other organization (appear to) do the heavy lifting and provide justification / cover for their prejudices -- even if it's not a religious organization. Sometimes one's extended family even fills that office. But, the same sort of personality will tend to be drawn to fundamentalist religion of some sort, too. Admittedly it's not that often you see regressive unfounded political or social positions in the absence of regressive unfounded religious ideation.

As for examples of non-religious organizations that have a fundamentalist One True Viewpoint, think Tea Party, the NRA, the KKK, etc.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:46 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,104,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
I was in a cavern in VA back in 2010 and the guide was convinced they had pieces of the ark in there...I should have picked up a piece
Christianity in the middle ages was a hyper superstitious, relic happy religion. Every town of any size had as a tourist attraction, some absolutely authentic sacred relic. Here's the village with the Three True Nails from the crucifixion, up the road you'll find the town with the True Basket from which Jesus multiplied the loaves and fishes, a bit further on we find the community offering the bloody swath from the True Robe worn by Jesus during his trial, go across the river and there is the city with the other Three True Nails....and you could not swing a dead cat without hitting someone promoting a piece of wood as having come from the True Cross. There were enough places with pieces of the True Cross to build an ark out of them...and there were enough places with pieces from the True Ark to build a fleet of them.

These were all great money makers, the vast majority of "vacation" traveling done by Europeans in the middle ages was a visit to some sacred relic site.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:28 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
As for examples of non-religious organizations that have a fundamentalist One True Viewpoint, think Tea Party, the NRA, the KKK, etc.
All of these organizations are composed largely of the religious and the KKK is a specifically Christian organization.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:08 PM

19,952 posts, read 13,447,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
All of these organizations are composed largely of the religious and the KKK is a specifically Christian organization.
The point regarding the NRA for example is not that they aren't simpatico with and loaded with religious people, but that it's a doctrinaire organization with its rigid views about gun rights and the purpose of guns in society, for which there is no religious litmus test to belong. I'm sure they'd be happy to take my money even though I'm an atheist, so long as I supported their ideas about guns and personal defense. My point was that abrogating objective thinking to others who claim to do it for you is not exclusively a religious phenomenon. I specifically said that they usually go hand in hand, but they needn't.

In fact I'd go so far as to say that most people subcontract their thinking to others, whether one of those compartments happens to be religious or not. You only have to watch TV for a few minutes to see that. "What do most people wear / think / believe? I'll just go with that". Safety in numbers I guess.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:14 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
I did not read all the responses, so please forgive me if this has already been addressed.

There has been a postulation put out there, that the "Noah's Ark" parable is simply a dumbed down explanation for an event whereby DNA of a vast selection of animal life was preserved and subsequently cloned during an extraterrestially induced event intended to wipe the failed experimentation of humanity off the face of the earth.

In fact, this explanation is considerably more plausible.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-27-2013, 01:39 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,946,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I did not read all the responses, so please forgive me if this has already been addressed.

There has been a postulation put out there, that the "Noah's Ark" parable is simply a dumbed down explanation for an event whereby DNA of a vast selection of animal life was preserved and subsequently cloned during an extraterrestially induced event intended to wipe the failed experimentation of humanity off the face of the earth.

In fact, this explanation is considerably more plausible.
Um, ok.

That topic was definitely not addressed in the thread.

(slowly taking a step away from 20yrsinBranson)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.