U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-27-2013, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,373,844 times
Reputation: 3735

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I don't think this phenomenon is limited to religion. I've known people who are indifferent to religion but just as unthinking regarding political or social positions. They'd rather let a political party or other organization (appear to) do the heavy lifting and provide justification / cover for their prejudices -- even if it's not a religious organization. Sometimes one's extended family even fills that office. But, the same sort of personality will tend to be drawn to fundamentalist religion of some sort, too. Admittedly it's not that often you see regressive unfounded political or social positions in the absence of regressive unfounded religious ideation.

As for examples of non-religious organizations that have a fundamentalist One True Viewpoint, think Tea Party, the NRA, the KKK, etc.
Well stated, mordant, and sadly, probably true, esp. the vastly disappointing NRA, of which I used to belong, but now I don't go for the truly stubborn, incapable thinking they have so recently demo'd!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Christianity in the middle ages was a hyper superstitious, relic happy religion. Every town of any size had as a tourist attraction, some absolutely authentic sacred relic. Here's the village with the Three True Nails from the crucifixion, up the road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflmn™
(etc., etc., edited for brevity, but well stated, GS!)
...and there were enough places with pieces from the True Ark to build a fleet of them.

These were all great money makers, the vast majority of "vacation" traveling done by Europeans in the middle ages was a visit to some sacred relic site.
To wit: the greatest concern of the administration of all things religious now is likely the loss of funding they used to depend on so heavily. Now they are witnessing teh last rites of another phase of secularism en-route to it's particular hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The point regarding the NRA for example is not that they aren't simpatico with and loaded with religious people, but that it's a doctrinaire organization with its rigid views about gun rights and the purpose of guns in society, for which there is no religious litmus test to belong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflmn™
(again, edited for brevity, but well stated, mordant, as ususal!!)
In fact I'd go so far as to say that most people subcontract their thinking to others, whether one of those compartments happens to be religious or not. You only have to watch TV for a few minutes to see that. "What do most people wear / think / believe? I'll just go with that". Safety in numbers I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I did not read all the responses, so please forgive me if this has already been addressed.

There has been a postulation put out there, that the "Noah's Ark" parable is simply a dumbed down explanation for an event whereby DNA of a vast selection of animal life was preserved and subsequently cloned during an extraterrestially induced event intended to wipe the failed experimentation of humanity off the face of the earth.

In fact, this explanation is considerably more plausible.

20yrsinBranson
I agree: this is possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Um, ok.

That topic was definitely not addressed in the thread.

(slowly taking a step away from 20yrsinBranson)
Don't be so quick to toss this idea, logline!

 
Old 01-27-2013, 02:38 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,847 posts, read 30,364,616 times
Reputation: 22356
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Um, ok.

That topic was definitely not addressed in the thread.

(slowly taking a step away from 20yrsinBranson)
There is a lot of speculation that during the course of prehistory, humanity was tinkered with genetically to produce homeo sapiens. (This has been one explanation for the dramatic leap from more primitive models i.e. Neanderthal to Cro Magnon). There is a very real possibility that somewhere along the line things went very, very wrong and they decided to start over. I am not making this theory up, logline, do a little googleing and you will discover that it is generally an accepted theory.


20yrsinBranson
 
Old 01-27-2013, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Deep Dirty South
5,192 posts, read 4,389,772 times
Reputation: 3821
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There is a lot of speculation that during the course of prehistory, humanity was tinkered with genetically to produce homeo sapiens.
By who or what? Gods? Aliens?

Quote:
(This has been one explanation for the dramatic leap from more primitive models i.e. Neanderthal to Cro Magnon). There is a very real possibility that somewhere along the line things went very, very wrong and they decided to start over.
Who are the proponents of this "explanation?" How widely accepted do you claim it to be?

Quote:
I am not making this theory up, logline, do a little googleing and you will discover that it is generally an accepted theory.
"Generally accepted?"
 
Old 01-27-2013, 04:06 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,847 posts, read 30,364,616 times
Reputation: 22356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
By who or what? Gods? Aliens?



Who are the proponents of this "explanation?" How widely accepted do you claim it to be?



"Generally accepted?"
1. Entities from other planets. They might have been considered Gods (which could be the source of a lot of religious belief), or they might have been considered aliens. It's pretty subjective.

2. You can google the other information for yourself. There are many, many, MANY books on the subject. You just have to get out of your comfort zone, open your mind, and look for them.

20yrsinbranson
 
Old 01-27-2013, 05:52 PM
 
16,100 posts, read 17,899,425 times
Reputation: 15895
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
1. Entities from other planets. They might have been considered Gods (which could be the source of a lot of religious belief), or they might have been considered aliens. It's pretty subjective.

2. You can google the other information for yourself. There are many, many, MANY books on the subject. You just have to get out of your comfort zone, open your mind, and look for them.

20yrsinbranson
You mean Von Daniken's books?

ancient astronauts - von Daniken - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com

Quote:
Where is the proof for von Däniken's claims? Some of it was fraudulent. For example, he produced photographs of pottery that he claimed had been found in an archaeological dig. The pottery depicts flying saucers and was said to have been dated from Biblical times. However, investigators from Nova (the fine public-television science program) found the potter who had made the allegedly ancient pots. They confronted von Däniken with evidence of his fraud. His reply was that his deception was justified because some people would only believe if they saw proof
You might want to look at this book

The space-gods revealed: A close look at the theories of Erich von Daniken: Ronald Story: 9780060141417: Amazon.com: Books

Quote:
The Space Gods Revealed remains an excellent, clear, and compelling refutation to the "von Daniken Phenomenon." Written in a factual and direct manner, the book starts with a short description of the scientific method, theory and evidence - and how von Daniken's ideas fall short when examined in detail.
 
Old 01-27-2013, 06:26 PM
 
7,378 posts, read 6,732,238 times
Reputation: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am not making this theory up, logline, do a little googleing and you will discover that it is generally an accepted theory.


20yrsinBranson
That would be a hypothesis, not a theory. Theories, in science, are conclusions based upon facts, i.e. theory of gravity and theory of evolution.
 
Old 01-27-2013, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Clearwater,Fl
55 posts, read 164,973 times
Reputation: 30
Soif Noah's Ark is still an issue it has not only long been discovered but an entire expedition team video'd the hull (which
is split in two. ) Its been rediscovered many times partly buried in snow partly extended seasonally on Mt Araratin
Turkey. You have to have special permission to climb ,but anyone even suggesting that Noah's ArK is a myth is a fool.
 
Old 01-27-2013, 07:31 PM
 
7,378 posts, read 6,732,238 times
Reputation: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeshuareigns View Post
Soif Noah's Ark is still an issue it has not only long been discovered but an entire expedition team video'd the hull (which
is split in two. ) Its been rediscovered many times partly buried in snow partly extended seasonally on Mt Araratin
Turkey. You have to have special permission to climb ,but anyone even suggesting that Noah's ArK is a myth is a fool.
You need to catch up. This has been debunked long ago.
 
Old 01-28-2013, 04:47 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,847 posts, read 30,364,616 times
Reputation: 22356
I belive that Mr. Von Daniken was the first person to gain wide-spread notariety with a similar HYPOTHESIS. There are, however, legions more who have delved into it in greater detail, effectively taking up where Von Daniken left off decades ago.

As for refuting his HYPOTHESIS, alas, their's is simply a hypothesis too and carries no more weight, in fact, considering the facts which were made the basis for the "ancient astronaughts" hypothesis, I would think that anyone would be hard-pressed to refute it. After all, nobody living was there, so it is just one of those he said/she said kind of deals.

I do know, however,, that throughout my life I have relied on my instinct to guide me based upon what I 'felt" was right and true. I know it's damn unscientific, but it has never lead me astray yet. THe "ancient astronaughts" school of thought have nothing to gain (other than selling books, I guess). My heart says it is right, and that is good enough for me.

20yrsinBranson
 
Old 01-28-2013, 06:24 PM
 
3,574 posts, read 4,173,630 times
Reputation: 3061
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I do know, however,, that throughout my life I have relied on my instinct to guide me based upon what I 'felt" was right and true. I know it's damn unscientific, but it has never lead me astray yet.
Oh indeed it already has. Aliens from another planet certainly did not seed earth with DNA (or whatever such nonsense the hypothesis claims). Your instincts definitely led you astray from the truth of how we came to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
THe "ancient astronaughts" school of thought have nothing to gain (other than selling books, I guess). My heart says it is right, and that is good enough for me.
20yrsinBranson
If you applied that logic (or more approportiately, the lack thereof) to everything in your life, you would not survive very long. Trusting your gut and going with whatever "feels right" is not how we humans were able to achieve so much: tall buildings, the internet, medical breakthroughs, advanced math, space travel, etc. Gut instincts are shortcuts for lazy thinkers who don't like to do the hard stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top