U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 01:28 PM

242 posts, read 197,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
I guess my question to you is, "Why does it bug you that some people believe in this?" If you think it's fake and phony, why do you feel so bothered? I don't crusade against Santa and the Tooth Fairie! And I dont spend time trying to bust someone else's bubble on those issues either.
Do you realize that this is kind of like asking "why do Islamic terrorists bug you if you don't even believe in the Koran?"

Old 03-20-2013, 01:43 PM

41,194 posts, read 18,614,349 times
Quote:
Sure.....
If you start from the premise that there is no creator "all-powerful" God, who can CONTROL the the very creatures He made, then , yes, it's impossible. A God who can also control behavior of the animals while on that ship. A God who can control the bacteria to possibly keep things barable for Noah's family.....if you dont believe in such a God, then I can understand your reasoning. The Bible speaks about people like you.

But there is a God who can made this happen......He could have created the ark too. But as always, He allows man to participate in His plan. Thus, He left that to Noah and gave him instructions.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Why didn't it dawn on this all powerful god to make a world and creatures programmed in such a way that there would never be any need to destroy them all and start over again with Noah's family?

If we postulate an all powerful, all knowing supreme being, then we have postulated a creature that knows in advance that:
A) The world will have to be flooded to wipe away all those bad characters that were created
B) Despite this cleansing, the world will once more become so wicked that it will be necessary to take the form of a human and endure extraordinary suffering to set an example of redemptive behavior.

What an immensely stupid god you project....it knows all this, yet creates the world anyway. You believe in a god which is dumber than the majority of humans, I certainly would have never been this dense.

And for that matter, why didn't god skip the whole corporal life business and just create heaven and populate it with adoring worshipers? Why this earthly test? This is a god who enjoys watching folks suffer?

Think...don't believe blindly....think about what it is you are supposed to be believing.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:46 PM

10,691 posts, read 11,708,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaemonkey View Post
Do you realize that this is kind of like asking "why do Islamic terrorists bug you if you don't even believe in the Koran?"
No it's not.........Christians arent blowing folk up for not believing..

Just answer my question.....why does it bug you that some believe?

Old 03-20-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
No it's not.........Christians arent blowing folk up for not believing..

Just answer my question.....why does it bug you that some believe?
I see no difference between a Christian terrorist and a Muslim terrorist, and if you don't think Christians do harm in the name of their religion, there are some Native American posters here that can certainly tell you otherwise. There's a huge thread in the P&oC forum about wanting to teach religion as science ...even that's hardly benign.

As for the question: It doesn't. I used to be a believer. Most of my family is Christian, my best friends are Christian. I may roll my eyes from time to time, but until somebody gets in my face, I seldom care much one way or another. The belief doesn't bug me in the least ...it's what people do with, and/or in the name of that belief that bugs me.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:39 PM

8,820 posts, read 6,371,468 times
Oh yes Christians blow people up and ..being Belgian, we have a "lovely" history in Zaire. Those missionaries were terrorists.
I agree with you too, Rifleman! we're the lucky ones... (BTW..yes, the chocolate here is that good!)

Last edited by MaggieZ; 03-20-2013 at 03:46 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 02:42 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,997 posts, read 5,734,740 times
Deus ex machina?

Old 03-20-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Why didn't it dawn on this all powerful god to make a world and creatures programmed in such a way that there would never be any need to destroy them all and start over again with Noah's family?

If we postulate an all powerful, all knowing supreme being, then we have postulated a creature that knows in advance that:
A) The world will have to be flooded to wipe away all those bad characters that were created
B) Despite this cleansing, the world will once more become so wicked that it will be necessary to take the form of a human and endure extraordinary suffering to set an example of redemptive behavior.

What an immensely stupid god you project....it knows all this, yet creates the world anyway. You believe in a god which is dumber than the majority of humans, I certainly would have never been this dense.

And for that matter, why didn't god skip the whole corporal life business and just create heaven and populate it with adoring worshipers? Why this earthly test? This is a god who enjoys watching folks suffer?

Think...don't believe blindly....think about what it is you are supposed to be believing.

And why do people have children knowing full well that that child could grow up to be a Hitler? For relationship. And with relationship comes "choice".

Choice is essential to any love relationship. You used an interesting term....."programed". Are you married? Do you have relatives? Sisters? Brothers ...Mother and Father?? Would you want them to be forced to love you? Programmed to love you? You're lying if you say that's what you want. You want them to love you on their own....FREELY! That's why God gave us free-will or volition.
Love, without the ability to choose, is meaningless.....empty. He wants the same from us.

But again....why is it any skin off your nose if some people belive the Noah story and the God involved? Why do you feel it to be your appointed duty to crusade against fictious stuff? Is that a waste of time?

Old 03-20-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
Oh yes Christians blow people up and ..being Belgian, we have a "lovely" history in Zaire. Those missionaries were terrorists.
I agree with you too, Rifeman! we're the lucky ones... (BTW..yes, the chocolate here is that good!)
There is nothing is Jesus' life or teaching that reflects blowing people up....

Muhammad , on the other hand, he calls for killing unbelievers.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaemonkey View Post
I see no difference between a Christian terrorist and a Muslim terrorist, and if you don't think Christians do harm in the name of their religion, there are some Native American posters here that can certainly tell you otherwise. There's a huge thread in the P&oC forum about wanting to teach religion as science ...even that's hardly benign.

As for the question: It doesn't. I used to be a believer. Most of my family is Christian, my best friends are Christian. I may roll my eyes from time to time, but until somebody gets in my face, I seldom care much one way or another. The belief doesn't bug me in the least ...it's what people do with, and/or in the name of that belief that bugs me.
Quote:

Really??
18 Dear children, the last hour is here. You have heard that the Antichrist is coming, and already many such antichrists have appeared. From this we know that the last hour has come. 19 These people left our churches, but they never really belonged with us; otherwise they would have stayed with us. When they left, it proved that they did not belong with us.
1 John 2

Old 03-20-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
1 John 2
"greaemonkey was indeed a believer in his early years"

Amazing Spider-man Issue 314 p14

(sorry, but this has gone as far off-topic as I'm willing to take it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism