U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 05:20 PM

14,197 posts, read 9,091,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Waiting breathlessly for a rebuttal. Running out of popcorn........
Nah, I even remember the rebuttal for that one from my theist days. The Bible says "the great fountains of the deep were broken up" so a lot of the water came out of subterranean sources that existed at the time. Also it was generally stated that there was a lot more water in the atmosphere at the time, with a great cloud cover we don't have now, although where that came from other than someone's posterior, I don't know.

That's the beauty of theism, you just keep making stuff up.

In fairness, though, (and who knows why I'm bothering to be fair) you can't assume conditions in the past were the same as conditions now. Still, if I'm not mistaken, what it would require to cover the entire planet in water deep enough to submerge mountains is so over the top that it's difficult to imagine an antediluvian configuration that would actually make that possible and still have allowed the planet to be habitable for human kind.

Then again, they can just say it was a miracle and move on.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:25 PM

7,378 posts, read 6,734,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Nah, I even remember the rebuttal for that one from my theist days. The Bible says "the great fountains of the deep were broken up" so a lot of the water came out of subterranean sources that existed at the time. Also it was generally stated that there was a lot more water in the atmosphere at the time, with a great cloud cover we don't have now, although where that came from other than someone's posterior, I don't know.

That's the beauty of theism, you just keep making stuff up.

In fairness, though, (and who knows why I'm bothering to be fair) you can't assume conditions in the past were the same as conditions now. Still, if I'm not mistaken, what it would require to cover the entire planet in water deep enough to submerge mountains is so over the top that it's difficult to imagine an antediluvian configuration that would actually make that possible and still have allowed the planet to be habitable for human kind.

That much moisture in the atmosphere would've crushed everyone's lungs because of the exerted pressure. But, that doesn't matter because God suspended that law as well.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:50 PM

17,966 posts, read 12,942,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
That much moisture in the atmosphere would've crushed everyone's lungs because of the exerted pressure. But, that doesn't matter because God suspended that law as well.
Not really. No one in the ark was crushed. God didn't have to suspend any law to keep the arkists alive.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Still, if I'm not mistaken, what it would require to cover the entire planet in water deep enough to submerge mountains is so over the top that it's difficult to imagine an antediluvian configuration that would actually make that possible and still have allowed the planet to be habitable for human kind.

Nope, no need for a miracle.

The mountains in Noah's day were not nearly as tall as they are today. They may have been from a few hundred foot tall to a few thousand foot tall.

Imagine a huge amount of hydrogen surrounding the planet. Now imagine that hydrogen being pulled into the atmosphere in streams. It would appear to the observer that windows of heaven were opened and huge streams of water pouring into the earth because when oxygen combines with hydrogen it causes water.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:41 PM

14,197 posts, read 9,091,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

The mountains in Noah's day were not nearly as tall as they are today. They may have been from a few hundred foot tall to a few thousand foot tall.
And you know this how?

Old 03-25-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
And you know this how?
The same way you know what you know.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
The same way you know what you know.
Science? I don't think so.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:

Imagine a huge amount of hydrogen surrounding the planet. Now imagine that hydrogen being pulled into the atmosphere in streams. It would appear to the observer that windows of heaven were opened and huge streams of water pouring into the earth because when oxygen combines with hydrogen it causes water.
HaHa. You can't just put hydrogen and oxygen in the same space and make water. There must be a chemical reaction, typically setting the mixture on fire. You apologists really need to think these things through before making outrageous claims.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
HaHa. You can't just put hydrogen and oxygen in the same space and make water. There must be a chemical reaction, typically setting the mixture on fire. You apologists really need to think these things through before making outrageous claims.
Where do you think the water came from when the observer saw what appeared to be windows in the heavens opening and water gushing down on the earth through openings? Magic?

Old 03-26-2013, 07:12 AM

There is also another theory which is that there was either an icy canopy surrounding earth or rings of ice such as is found around Saturn, which came down on the earth and caused torrents of water to come down from above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism