U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-28-2013, 04:56 AM
 
39,250 posts, read 10,922,331 times
Reputation: 5101

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Why so? If one starts from the assumption that this all powerful god exists in the first place then how is anything from _after_ that point "absurd"? A being with unlimited powers could do anything. "With god anything is possible" after all. With infinite powers - merely allowing a man live to 900 years old - and helping him build a ship where the internal dimensions are larger than the external - are all childs play.

The absurdity stems from the base premise - that there is such a god with such powers in the first place - not in thinking that such stories in the Bible are beyond it's capabilities. Your accusation of absurdity is entirely well founded - just mis-assigned.
You hit the nail on the head, Momentus; it is a Faith in the reality of God and His religion and the Holy Book associated with it taken as a premise that justifies any speculation, far -fetched theories without any good evidence and even in defiance of evidence (requiring that science be attacked in order to discredit its data - where needed - since it is held up as gospel fact where it seems to support a flood -this is the stuff of Cults) in fact any nonsense, lies and trickery in order to win,because the 'Truth'is 'known' already - all that is needed is to make it stick by any method necessary.

 
Old 03-28-2013, 07:23 AM
 
Location: NW NJ & SE Oahu
4,567 posts, read 5,412,459 times
Reputation: 4153
Originally Posted by sanspeur
Oops...Wrong thread...I thought this was the Atheist forum joke thread...My bad.

----------------

oops...

 
Old 03-28-2013, 08:57 AM
 
17,966 posts, read 12,957,352 times
Reputation: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
You hit the nail on the head, Momentus; it is a Faith in the reality of God and His religion and the Holy Book associated with it taken as a premise that justifies any speculation, far -fetched theories without any good evidence and even in defiance of evidence (requiring that science be attacked
Still setting up straw man arguments are you AREQUIPA?
I welcome science, archeologists and geologists to examine the probability of the world-wide flood of Noah's day. Are you saying that the scientists who used science to prove the flood did so to attack science?


Quote:
in order to discredit its data - where needed - since it is held up as gospel fact where it seems to support a flood -this is the stuff of Cults) in fact any nonsense, lies and trickery in order to win,because the 'Truth'is 'known' already - all that is needed is to make it stick by any method necessary.
The same stuff of cults is from those who claim there was no world-wide flood based on hear-say and who knows what else. All that is needed is for the atheist to make it stick by any method necessary.
 
Old 03-28-2013, 09:01 AM
 
17,966 posts, read 12,957,352 times
Reputation: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Quite so, and yet....



Oh. OK... my bad I suppose. but still... let's see here just exactly what you said: if we take enough water and put it into a giant water dish, then yessiree, we can indeed place Mt. Everest into it. But what about all the other mountains around Everest? Let's take a quick looksee, shall we, little E? (SOrry, but with your continued vast scientific illiteracy and illogical nannyiddly-brained stuff, I've had to demote you. I have that power, you know. After all, I'm waaaay better educated than you, so God's given me that option! No sit down and shuddup and learn!)

http://www.eorc.jaxa.jp/en/imgdata/t...070919_01e.jpg

Imagine that, huh, oh Great and Silly One?

As to your equally stupid idea of those aquatic animals just easily co-existing in a completely altered salinity ocean, you're (as usual, and demonstrably) out of touch with the facts again.

AS I've already suggested, since you know so much about aquatic ecology, you should go on down to your local pet store and sneak in a cup of health-food store "natural sea salt!" and pour it into the tank with the Amazonian Tropical fish. BTW, then you'd best have your Amex card handy. Not to mention your Get Out Of The Asylum Free card...

But hypothetically, if you did the same thing with, say, porpoises, seals, whales, sharks and the like, whose body chemistry even you can't just ignore, were thrust into a very modified near-fresh water [or even slightly less-saline] post-fludd oceanic environment, guess what?

PS: How do you imagine such species exchange waste products right now? Why, by osmosis within their bodies (via their kidneys), but with altered salinity, such things do not work. This is the principle behind diuretic drugs, btw. They alter your kidney's osmotic processes, and you pee like a racehorse.

Next: you guys always trot out the "dogs are just different breeds, so a cat is just a different breed of giraffe!" Riiiigghhhhtt...

Stupidity reigns in your world, I see.

Now you can go back to trolling! We understand your .....M.O. now!

Not finished yet? Oh. OK then, show us more of "you"!





Good one, sans!
  1. rifleman has yet to prove what the exact salinity of the oceans were prior to the world-wide flood and DURING the world-wide flood. Until he can scientifically prove this he has no leg to stand on in saying the lessoned salinity would kill the aquatic life during the world-wide flood.
  2. Notice rifleman needs to use nasty comments about me or anyone who disagrees with him? This reveals a distinct weakness in his arguments when he has to resort to nastiness.
 
Old 03-28-2013, 09:07 AM
 
17,966 posts, read 12,957,352 times
Reputation: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Oh, but you did say there are drowned dinosaur fossils found in Canada, to bolster your Great Flood theory. Are you saying Noah screwed up? Clearly, if there were no dinosaurs on the ark, but they perished in the flood....well, do the math. Someone screwed up, royally.
Why would Noah save everything except dinosaurs?
Clearly, if the ark was big enough to hold killer whales, a few tweaks here and there would have accomodated dinosaurs.
Umm, Noah did not put killer whales on the ark. Actually, the ark was plenty big enough to hold the great blue whales.
 
Old 03-28-2013, 09:15 AM
 
39,250 posts, read 10,922,331 times
Reputation: 5101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Still setting up straw man arguments are you AREQUIPA?
I welcome science, archeologists and geologists to examine the probability of the world-wide flood of Noah's day. Are you saying that the scientists who used science to prove the flood did so to attack science?




The same stuff of cults is from those who claim there was no world-wide flood based on hear-say and who knows what else. All that is needed is for the atheist to make it stick by any method necessary.
You should be able to do better than this. After a blatant expression of partiality for those scientists who suit your agenda, you lay a pretty obvious trap. I am interested in the facts. E.g I took on board the case for the Black sea flood and the Burkle crater. Of course, they only made a case for a local flood.

Your second remark is a pretty trollish accusation based on an utter disregard for the way we demonstrate that we work. You are only damaging your own case.

Incidentally, judging by the depth and extensiveness of the salt mines - which are more evidence for a deep time drying up of oceans rather than a year -long global flood - salinity in ancient oceans was significant. Enough to suggest that a flood would do neither sea nor river fish much good.

And you should now be familiar with Rifleman's style and that you make an issue of it suggests that you have nothing better than evasion, quibble, attack and ignore. You are welcome Rife. Same account number. I take dollars or euros.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-28-2013 at 09:24 AM..
 
Old 03-28-2013, 11:20 AM
 
39,250 posts, read 10,922,331 times
Reputation: 5101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Umm, Noah did not put killer whales on the ark. Actually, the ark was plenty big enough to hold the great blue whales.
I'm curious, why Blue whales rather than Orcas? You must have some rationale, as I don't see where you could have got that other than working it out.
 
Old 03-28-2013, 12:48 PM
 
7,378 posts, read 6,740,393 times
Reputation: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Umm, Noah did not put killer whales on the ark. Actually, the ark was plenty big enough to hold the great blue whales.
Still waiting on your list of scientists who claim that the global Great Flood actually happened. Again, please resist listing those who teach at Liberty University, Oral Roberts University, or who are inmates at local mental hospitals.
 
Old 03-28-2013, 12:52 PM
 
17,966 posts, read 12,957,352 times
Reputation: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
You should be able to do better than this. After a blatant expression of partiality for those scientists who suit your agenda, you lay a pretty obvious trap. I am interested in the facts. E.g I took on board the case for the Black sea flood and the Burkle crater. Of course, they only made a case for a local flood.

Your second remark is a pretty trollish accusation based on an utter disregard for the way we demonstrate that we work. You are only damaging your own case.

Incidentally, judging by the depth and extensiveness of the salt mines - which are more evidence for a deep time drying up of oceans rather than a year -long global flood - salinity in ancient oceans was significant. Enough to suggest that a flood would do neither sea nor river fish much good.

And you should now be familiar with Rifleman's style and that you make an issue of it suggests that you have nothing better than evasion, quibble, attack and ignore. You are welcome Rife. Same account number. I take dollars or euros.
Tell me, please, dear friend, if the world-wide flood was relegated to just the black sea, why would Noah go to all the trouble to build a boat (or anyone for that matter) when all they would have to do is walk out of the valley to safety?

Are you still trolling?

You need to prove a lot of things when it comes to salt mines. Read this and weep: http://www.icr.org/article/532/
I think the huge salt deposits such as are under the state of Michigan were laid down in Genesis 1:1-1:2 when the earth was in a submerged chaos. That may have taken millions of years before God restored the earth in Genesis 1:2 onward. And huge amounts of salt were the by-product of the flood of Noah's day.

If you agree that rifleman's style is correct then you are just like him. (I'm not allowed to say what that equates to or I might get a TOS.)

I see. You think I'm evading the issues rifleman brings up. That's O.K. they once believe the earth was flat too and that the sun went around the earth.

Last edited by Eusebius; 03-28-2013 at 01:21 PM..
 
Old 03-28-2013, 12:54 PM
 
17,966 posts, read 12,957,352 times
Reputation: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
It could be considered such. All Christians except Eusebius have abandoned this atrocious attempt to defend the Great Flood fairy tale.
The above statement is a lie. Of course that is the only thing atheists have left to defend their untenable position is through lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top