U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2013, 06:13 PM
 
12,164 posts, read 9,887,400 times
Reputation: 15813

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
Maybe someday you'll find a reason.

Is there some reason I should want to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2013, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
40,983 posts, read 18,573,926 times
Reputation: 18676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
Tiger cage. lol I'm holding onto the end of a piece of yarn and you're chasing it around. So cute.
Actually in the metaphor you are torn to pieces and digested. Unsurprisingly this went rocketing over your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Earth
1,113 posts, read 1,882,614 times
Reputation: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
Maybe someday you'll find a reason.
Maybe someday you'll find reason.



Cheers,
Aeroman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 06:26 PM
 
201 posts, read 199,564 times
Reputation: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Is there some reason I should want to?
I can't really say. It's a very personal thing. I've known people who have had various reasons.

I just talked to an Afghanistan veteran the other day. He got discharged about 6 months ago after a smashing his hand when the big gun in his tank recoiled and the gunner didn't yell "clear." Anyways. He told me he was sitting in a bar, just sort of lost, not knowing what was next, not knowing what it all meant, what his life meant, what all that death meant. While he was sitting there he said "god, I don't know if you're real, I don't know if you're listening, but if you are, I could really use some help right now."

So, to your reason. Maybe it's just getting to a place where you really need to reach out to someone, to god. I think those are the situations where a person's heart and mind are truly open to god. Because in those moments a person is truly humble. They realize they need help. They realize they don't have the answers. And that's when God answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there.
6,862 posts, read 3,787,690 times
Reputation: 4594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
I can't really say. It's a very personal thing. I've known people who have had various reasons.

I just talked to an Afghanistan veteran the other day. He got discharged about 6 months ago after a smashing his hand when the big gun in his tank recoiled and the gunner didn't yell "clear." Anyways. He told me he was sitting in a bar, just sort of lost, not knowing what was next, not knowing what it all meant, what his life meant, what all that death meant. While he was sitting there he said "god, I don't know if you're real, I don't know if you're listening, but if you are, I could really use some help right now."

So, to your reason. Maybe it's just getting to a place where you really need to reach out to someone, to god. I think those are the situations where a person's heart and mind are truly open to god. Because in those moments a person is truly humble. They realize they need help. They realize they don't have the answers. And that's when God answers........
........or in fact doesn't.
I feel sorry for your veteran. He's in for one heck of a disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
How should I know? I would imagine it would be things like lying, stealing, disobedience, deception and the various thoughts that go along with these deeds. No person can claim to be without sin. No person, not even a little child is perfect. And even the smallest sin contrasted with a perfect God represents a lack of innocence.

Now, as far as infant babies that are not yet capable of making choices on their own, these ones are judged by God according to his omniscience and righteousness. Only He knows what will become of each of these babies.
Just to add, I think what you said here ^ is incredibly insensitive in light of what happened to those kids at Sandy Hook. Are these Christian values? Judging and in fact condemning innocent kids you don't even know. I said earlier I think I live by better values than many Christians and this is a perfect example. I'll keep my atheist values any day over this.
Condemning innocent children. How far the Christian church has strayed. If Jesus were alive today I bet he'd be wondering why he even bothered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 07:27 PM
 
3,404 posts, read 2,250,975 times
Reputation: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
So, to your reason. Maybe it's just getting to a place where you really need to reach out to someone, to god. I think those are the situations where a person's heart and mind are truly open to god. Because in those moments a person is truly humble. They realize they need help. They realize they don't have the answers. And that's when God answers.
Many of us on this particular forum have had the opposite experience. We desperately wanted God to provide answers, to fulfill his promises in Scripture, to give us abundant life, and the fruit of the spirit. That was when God repeatedly did not answer. Nothing.

There are a couple of possible reasons that I can come up with for this:
  1. We were doing it wrong. Somehow our "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ" wasn't good enough. For whatever reason, putting everything we had into our belief just didn't cut it.
  2. There was nothing wrong with our belief, we are just "vessels of wrath fitted to destruction" and as such are predestined to be abandoned by our God no matter how much we longed for him.
  3. The God we were trying to please just didn't exist. Maybe some other concept of god does, but the one we knew about, were taught about, either was non-existent or was not who we thought he was
In all these cases, there is simply no reason to pursue that religious belief anymore. If your best isn't acceptable, or you have been abandoned by God, or he simply does not exist, then the best you can do is pick through the shattered pieces of your belief, and realize that you can create your own path. In my personal experience, I am far more at peace, more joyful, more loving since I stopped trying to hear, understand, and follow a God that either lied to me, or simply wasn't there.


You have to understand that quite a few of us have been in your shoes. We know what religion, specifically Christianity, has to offer. We have experienced it, we have lived it, and found it to be hollow and wanting. If it works for you, great, enjoy. But don't assume that it works that way for everyone.


-NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 09:36 PM
 
201 posts, read 199,564 times
Reputation: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
You have to understand that quite a few of us have been in your shoes.
You've never walked in my shoes. If you had, you wouldn't be the person you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 12:00 AM
 
1,639 posts, read 1,566,711 times
Reputation: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
In my apartment.
Oh okay. So you measure up to Gods perfect standard? Anything less is evil to Him. I was hoping for honest answers. I guess I shouldnt be surprised by such a self righteous attitude.

I would be obliterated if God were to do away with evil today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 12:23 AM
 
1,639 posts, read 1,566,711 times
Reputation: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
You believe that one day there will be a world without evil?
Yes. Its promised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
You say you believe god 'allows' evil to have its run. Don't you see that you are being very choosy in the powers you believe god to have here? Does he 'create/make' the good stuff or does he just 'allow' that to happen too?
How is attributing all good to God, being choosy? For someone that used to be in the faith, as strongly as you claim, you sure don't know very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
Sorry I can't make any sense out of this sentence at all. ^ I don't believe in god so I have no idea what you are getting at.
Read it again slower. I don't mean any sarcasm. I myself need to read certain sentences a number of times to fully comprehend them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
I can't make any sense of this either.
Basically what I am saying is. How do you know that something a lot better won't come out of a bad situation, as opposed to if the bad situation didn't happen at all. If every time we so much as stubbed a toe, we heard a voice call down to our brain explaining why we have to endure such pain, it would be like a haunted quarry in our heads.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
Let me share with you my story. Most of this I have never shared on city data so please bear with me.
Thank you for sharing. It sounds like you've gone through some very hard things in this life. Sounds like you took the advice of Jobs wife, and you just cursed God because of some hard times. I still get angry with God, He understands. He endured much harder things than you or I could imagine.

I mean did you even think of Job, when you were turning away from God because of life issues?


Sorry but, I am usually skeptical of someone claiming to have been part of the faith when they say such things like you have said. There are many false conversions and even more people that aren't taught the right way to react to certain situations, so I only blame what ever church you attended.

With that said, I really don't know if you are still a believer and God is just refining you for the future, because once you make a decision for Christ, it is forever. Or you are just like you say you are and don't believe in God and never really did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 12:26 AM
 
Location: St. Pete, FL
733 posts, read 1,301,121 times
Reputation: 656
well your view of an evil person is much different than my view of an evil person. I don't feel I'm evil at all, so yes, I would still be standing here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top