U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 01:21 PM

8,967 posts, read 8,406,922 times

Advertisements

The Chinese developed writing. Japan, China and India were far ahead of the west in metallurgy. Have you checked out the manufacturing processes largely developed by the Japanese and Koreans? The Islamic world kept medicine, astronomy and mathematics alive during the Christian dark ages.

None of this will matter to the OP though, as s/he has already changed the thrust of the post already.

I too am out of this pointless thread.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:31 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,869,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
Percentage of civilization developed by christian minds: nearly 100%
Percentage of civilization developed by atheist minds: none
Do you see a pattern there?
Thanks for the post I was looking for somebody to put on my ignore list today.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:44 PM

201 posts, read 199,531 times
Settle down, atheists. A little friendly, light-hearted banter never hurt anyone. Besides, there's not really much to argue with here. Theistic minds molded every facet of modern civilization. And even though most of them were christian, many of them were of other religions. The point being that one could very easily make the argument that theistic minds are superior to atheistic minds on pretty much every level.

Also, thanks to the guy who pointed out that Vietnam was officially atheist. I didn't know that. I'm not sure I agree with the official numbers. They have been contested by other researchers such as: Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

Old 01-20-2013, 02:11 PM

283 posts, read 434,507 times
Woah.

Did that Chaotic dude really just list Egypt as a civilization that never contributed to the World?

Hmm, so I reckon that he doesn't think: Glass; linen; clocks; the calendar; geometry, paper & ink; and the alphabet are notworthy.
And what about the Great Library of Alexandria which was perhaps the greatest collection of knowledge and writings ever assembled on this planet during it's time?

As far as atheists who've contributed to society, Sigmund Freud, Charles Darwin, Nicolas Copernicus, Albert Einstein, Carl Sagan, Madame Curie, Louis Pasteur, Pablo Picasso, Thomas Jefferson, and Ernest Hemingway came to my mind right away. I was then gonna Google a more exhaustive list, but then something occured to me.

It ain't worth it. Chaotic has been jobbed in every argument he's tried to present here, and has failed to come up with even an arguable response. Instead, his retorts have been simply repeating what he said earlier, only louder and more boldly--as would a whining child--or to completely change the subject and start the cycle again.

So I'm left with two choices: One: he's a troll who's just lookin' to stir up the pot here, because his social life is as complete and fulfilling as Paris Hilton's library.
Or... he's so brainwashed & deluded that he can foster no opinion other than his own, and thus dismisses any possible responses we make as those of hapless infidels.

In either case: the Googling would not be worth my time. In fact, I'm not even sure why I'm posting this. (Oh, I guess there IS sort of an entertainment value to his posts. You know: like those cheesy, B-Movies that you know are silly, but you just can't stop watching?)

Peace.

Last edited by Lickety_Split; 01-20-2013 at 02:24 PM..

Old 01-20-2013, 02:17 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,347,059 times
Quote:
I'm still waiting to here what atheism has contributed. I mean, after all, isn't atheism all about being logical. With their advanced powers of logic, what have they done for civilization?
I'd like to know your contributions to the world.
It has to be more that what we see here.
Having this attitude toward Atheists really doesn't further your cause.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:17 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,973,305 times
Quote:
I'm still waiting to here what atheism has contributed. I mean, after all, isn't atheism all about being logical. With their advanced powers of logic, what have they done for civilization?
We mentioned the likes of Bill Gates and Carl Sagan, but you inevitably somehow determine that Christianity was involved with them in some way.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:20 PM

283 posts, read 434,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieGal View Post
The OP's line of thinking kind of reminds me of an anti-women premise I was subjected to a year or so ago. It proposed that women are clearly intellectually inferior in the fields of science and math, this based on the notion that though women constitute 50% of the global population, their historic contributions in science and mathematics have been comparably few.

I suppose men are inferior vacuumers.

Ummm...but women are inferior to men in science and math, as those stats you mentioned sorta prove.

And I'm not being sexist here, it's just a matter of how our respective brains are wired. Men tend to be a bit more "left-brain" oriented which is conducive to the sort of analytical and linear thinking necessary in performing mathematical and scientific problems and proofs.

Women, though, have superior inuition, and are usually better at multi-tasking than we are.

As far as vacuuming, I'm not sure. It's a domestic endeavor, so one could conclude that it falls within the baliwick of the females; but it's also technically a physical exercise, and everyone knows us men are physically superior to the fair sex.
We'll call that one a toss-up.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:35 PM

201 posts, read 199,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety_Split View Post

As far as atheists who've contributed to society, Sigmund Freud, Charles Darwin, Nicolas Copernicus, Albert Einstein, Carl Sagan, Madame Curie, Louis Pasteur, Pablo Picasso, Thomas Jefferson, and Ernest Hemingway came to my mind right away. I was then gonna Google a more exhaustive list, but then something occured to me.
Freud, yes. His contributions had a profound impact on modern psychology. Darwin, no. Presenting a theory that he ended up abandoning later in his life is not considered a great contribution to modern civilization. Einstein, yes. Sagan, no. He had some interesting ideas and helped a bit with understanding outer space. But as far as a major contribution to civilization, no. Madame Curie, no. Her research came directly from and was bolstered by a christian man. Pasteur, not an atheist. Copernicus, not an atheist. Picasso, no. I mean, yes he was a great artist but not exactly the first to dabble in abstract. Jefferson, not even close to being an atheist. Hemingway, great author, my favorite as a matter of fact, was atheist, killed himself.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:58 PM

3,574 posts, read 4,173,095 times
Quote:
Percentage of civilization developed by christian minds: nearly 100%
Percentage of civilization developed by atheist minds: none
Do you see a pattern there?

I really hate the internet sometimes.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:24 PM

16,098 posts, read 17,895,645 times
Quote:
Freud, yes. His contributions had a profound impact on modern psychology. Darwin, no. Presenting a theory that he ended up abandoning later in his life is not considered a great contribution to modern civilization. Einstein, yes. Sagan, no. He had some interesting ideas and helped a bit with understanding outer space. But as far as a major contribution to civilization, no. Madame Curie, no. Her research came directly from and was bolstered by a christian man. Pasteur, not an atheist. Copernicus, not an atheist. Picasso, no. I mean, yes he was a great artist but not exactly the first to dabble in abstract. Jefferson, not even close to being an atheist. Hemingway, great author, my favorite as a matter of fact, was atheist, killed himself.
Darwin did not abandon his theory later in life and it turned out that his theory is essential to modern biological science. If you read the full quotes on which your absurd supposition that he abandoned his theories, you might see that he did not do so. Almost every component in modern man's belief system is somehow affected by Darwinian principles.

As for your insistence that Curie did not contribute, all scientists stand on the shoulders of other scientists, but their own NEW work contributes to the progress of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or