Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 04:43 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,976 times

Advertisements

Amazing how many of us today echo his observations whether we know it or not. Love his book, Age of Reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 09:40 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Amazing how many of us today echo his observations whether we know it or not. Love his book, Age of Reason.
Absolutely! I was very amazed to find that doubt, skepticism, and unbelief have such a rich history. Nobody every tells you this in sunday school or comparative religion classes. Jenifer Michael Hecht's book, "Doubt: a history" is a really good read for anyone who want to understand the history and foundation upon which our unbelief stands, whether we know it or not.

Paine was a brilliant thinker and a very important part of American History, but was almost blotted out of memory for the crime of 'atheism', which wasn't even accurate. Many of his arguments against religion are very familiar, often still valid after all these years. Age of Reason is definitely a good read.

-NoCapo

Old 01-30-2013, 02:44 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,946,956 times
"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church. All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

-Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason

Old 01-30-2013, 03:43 PM

174 posts, read 154,608 times
Actually, he was born 276 years ago yesterday.

Kind of... using the Julian calendar (which was then used in Great Britain (where he was born) and its colonies. By the Gregorian calender which we currently use, he was born on February 9.

All that aside, it is worth remember that outspoken disbelief during his time was certainly a courageous act, coming with more consequences than it does today.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:41 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,982,996 times
...as we sit in front of our computer screens and rail about the tyranical government with little consequences to us...paine put it all on the line, as did the men and women who kissed their loved ones goodbye, leaving spouses, children, farm and livelyhood behind, knowing full well if not victory, death in battle or by hanging if captured, was the only outcome....because they believed in the cause

that my friends...took some balls to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism