U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 12:10 PM

16,105 posts, read 17,915,965 times

Advertisements

How a Motivational Speaker Tricked a Public School District into Letting Him Preach to Students and Parents… and Got Paid for It

Admittedly, his bullying workshops did not mention religion, but he lured the kids to a religious revival and they handed out Bibles to older kids there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 12:23 PM

41,082 posts, read 18,595,226 times
Those who can... do.

Those who can't...teach.

Those that can't teach....become motivational speakers.

If you are the sort to go out of your way for a repeat performance of motivational speaking by someone's whose major qualification appears to be the ability to make trick basketball shots, you probably deserve the religious ambush you got instead.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Those who can... do.

Those who can't...teach.

Those that can't teach....become motivational speakers.

If you are the sort to go out of your way for a repeat performance of motivational speaking by someone's whose major qualification appears to be the ability to make trick basketball shots, you probably deserve the religious ambush you got instead.
I seriously object to your statement that those that can't do teach. This little chestnut has been going around forever and it is simply not true.

https://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/PSEUDOSC/Can-Teach.HTM

Quote:
Anyone who studies pseudoscience will soon be struck by how often engineers and applied scientists turn up as supporters. Creationist authors Henry and John Morris of the Institute for Creation Research were engineers. Duane Gish, author of a number of creationist books, is a pharmaceutical chemist. Harold Slusher, another leading creationist, is a former petroleum geologist. A typical pattern is the makeup of the members of the ICR Technical advisory Board. In March, 2007, the board consisted of four engineers, three medical professionals, one industrial scientist, one food scientist, three science faculty from conservative religious schools and two non-scientists. Not a single one was an an academic scientist at a secular university. Harold Hill of the "missing day" fable was an electrical engineer. Much of the support for Velikovsky came from industrial scientists. C. J. Ransom, quoted above, was a plasma physicist for General Dynamics Corporation. Other scientific supporters included Robert C. Wright, Senior Development Engineer for the Princeton Applied Research Corporation, and Raymond Vaughan, a technician for the Carborundum Company. The infamous TV program Conspiracy Theory: Did We Go to the Moon? featured Bill Kaysing, described as an engineer and analyst for Rocketdyne, Brian O'Leary, a "NASA astronaut in the 1960's", Paul Lazarus, a producer, Ralph Rene, "Author/Scientist", Bart Sibrel, "Investigative Journalist", Jan Lundberg, described as a technician for Hasselblad, Donald Percey of the "Royal Photographic Society" and Howard McCurdy, "space historian at American University." Not a single academic scientist in the bunch.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I seriously object to your statement that those that can't do teach. This little chestnut has been going around forever and it is simply not true.
Are you offended on behalf of school teachers? I was one for 22 years, so thanks.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Are you offended on behalf of school teachers? I was one for 22 years, so thanks.
yes since I taught math for many years

Old 01-21-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
yes since I taught math for many years
Then some teachers can take a joke and some cannot.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Then some teachers can take a joke and some cannot.
I can take a joke, but that one is often used and not a joke anymore. Nowadays, teachers are under attack everywhere.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I can take a joke, .
The only available evidence I have suggests otherwise.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:08 PM

12,886 posts, read 15,448,389 times
Only the lousy ones are under attack.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:28 PM

7,442 posts, read 9,890,482 times
Maybe I'm being too cynical, but something tells me the school district wasn't "tricked."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism