U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:28 PM

174 posts, read 132,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Global View Post
Hi,
I was speaking with my 10 year old son about the different point of views regarding to how we came here to earth, and I tried to explain how many scientists donít believe in the God existence. Then he said, ďHow stupid they are, then who created the planets.Ē Iím non-religion myself and I donít want him to be nor like me nor a strictly religious, all Iím doing is trying to open his mind to many possibilities and not to limit his thought, specially we are from an Islamic background, and I see everywhere how devastating this religion is. I tried to speak about the evolution but I felt I will make him more confused, I donít really know how to deal with this.
So what is the easiest way to answer his question about who created the planets and how did we come here?
I would start by simply noting that his assumption of a "who" is unfounded. You could illustrate this with ordinary local things -- such as a rounded stream-bed pebble, or a snowflake -- which, presumably, he will understand were not created by any "who". The lesson is that the existence of a thing does not require a maker.

It then becomes more complicated, with some details on planetary formation. You can explain that this will make far more sense once he starts taking physics courses in high school, though even then it may remain a bit abstract.ebular hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 09:15 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,498,191 times
I would explain that gravity made the planets. I would explain that after the creation of the universe, space was full of clouds of matter. If he understands that with gravity matter is attracted to other matter, you could let him understand that some of that gas started to clump up and fall towards the middle of the clouds. Over a long period of time that gas fell and fell and there was so much of it that the force of gravity got quite strong, until the whole cloud fell into a ball and that ball is what the earth is. Gravity is also how the other planets got formed, and how we maintain orbit around the biggest object in this group of balls, the sun. The sun is made of a big cloud of hydrogen gas that collapsed in on itself and got so squished that it exploded. It stays the same size because the force of gravity trying to make it smaller is balanced by the force of the explosion trying to make it bigger.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:55 PM

7,945 posts, read 4,745,873 times
I think the big question here is "why are there local differences if laws govern everything equally". Why is the universe not a big mass of stuff, all equally apart and symmetrical etc. ?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:33 PM

66 posts, read 63,267 times
Thank you all. Your responds are very VERY helpful, and I tried some with him this morning while I was driving to school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
......he'll admire you more if you don't try to insist that there is no such thing as a Higher Power. Anyway, in re-reading your post, it sounds like you're pretty much doing what I'm suggesting anyway.
I see your point, but if you were me and live in an Arab Islamic country where we drink and eat religion in every thing (T.V, newspapers, schools, messages on the iPhones, Internet) you will understand me.

A couple of days ago, his Islamic teacher told him that anyone who won't pray five times will stay in hell forever, and my son came home and asked me "Why didn't you tell me that TRUTH?". I told him that Allah is the most merciful and he will never ever burn anybody.
Anyway he started praying, and his mother keep reminding him about the prayer times, although she is non-religious like me and doesn't pray, but she always say she doesn't want our kids to be like us because being non-religious bring feeling of loneliness in our society which label anything by religion.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:00 AM

7,945 posts, read 4,745,873 times
Quote:
Thank you all. Your responds are very VERY helpful, and I tried some with him this morning while I was driving to school.

I see your point, but if you were me and live in an Arab Islamic country where we drink and eat religion in every thing (T.V, newspapers, schools, messages on the iPhones, Internet) you will understand me.

A couple of days ago, his Islamic teacher told him that anyone who won't pray five times will stay in hell forever, and my son came home and asked me "Why didn't you tell me that TRUTH?". I told him that Allah is the most merciful and he will never ever burn anybody.
Anyway he started praying, and his mother keep reminding him about the prayer times, although she is non-religious like me and doesn't pray, but she always say she doesn't want our kids to be like us because being non-religious bring feeling of loneliness in our society which label anything by religion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz8ithgTBj4

What did your son respond to you on the ride to school? children especially seek for a sense of community (reverance for teachers over less knowledgeable parents), but most also seek an actual truth. for example, can your son ask himself: Do all good people pray five times a day? Why does Allah want to meaninglessly torture good people forever? Why can't people have free-will after death and before life? why does Allah force some people to exist just to send the good ones that pray 6 or 4 times a day to hell?

non-Islamic ideas are considered by your "Islamic Country" as a "religion" that can't proselytize right? So sending your son to a forum where he can interact with atheists and Christians, Jews, other Muslims, a few Buddhists and pagans and talk about these issues might be considered "sending your son to atheist/Christian teachers)? If not, why don't you let him speak for himself in our forum. Still about how scared you and your wife are-- Tell your son this, if it applies to you, that when you questioned Religion (fundamentalism) you found its fruit rotten inside; but when you questioned ethics and science, they did not, and you still believe in Allah because Allah has blessed you while the teachers have not with their own personal interpretations. Tell him the truth of what you fear, that if he becomes freethinker he will perhaps struggle like his mother, to your wife this is a sad existence in an Islamic country where the non-religious are oppressed. Tell him this and he is sure to spot the oppression, tell him you would never oppress the Religiously fanatic (you would be friends with them and allow them to believe). Your child will likely stand with his parents when he sees you are being unfairly oppressed. You know your situation better, so make sure you follow only the right advise.

Islam is, however, not a religion of simply listening to a particular Islamic teacher. So how can he ever be sure he is being a good Muslim? would your son rather be a good person (fundamentalist or not / Muslim or not), or a bad person who thinks himself a good Muslim?

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 01-30-2013 at 01:13 AM..

Old 01-30-2013, 04:22 AM

13,324 posts, read 25,582,469 times
Quote:
Thank you etacarinae, but the question still remains. He wants to know who created them.
Well, what's wrong with telling him what you know, which is, "I don't know and no one else knows, either. What do you think?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism