U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 PM
 
16,110 posts, read 17,939,613 times
Reputation: 15912

Advertisements

The original post certainly had to do with atheism - have you seen the website why god won't heal amputees

Why Won't God Heal Amputees?

Science has now come up with a way to heal amputees when god cannot or will not do so.

 
Old 01-30-2013, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 89,309,771 times
Reputation: 29451
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The original post certainly had to do with atheism
No it didn't. There wasn't a single reference to religion or atheism anywhere in the article you cited nor in your commentary preceding the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Science has now come up with a way to heal amputees when god cannot or will not do so.
That's nice, but if the point is to hail the benefits of science and technology then there's a Science and Technology forum for that.
 
Old 01-30-2013, 02:00 PM
 
391 posts, read 199,184 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Oh, that's right, because several thousand years ago
Materialism and theism can be found at any point in time, (materialism is warned against in the bible) and those are what dictate ignorance and wisdom; not time.

Last edited by overcastg4; 01-30-2013 at 02:11 PM..
 
Old 01-30-2013, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
41,210 posts, read 18,624,767 times
Reputation: 18760
Quote:
Originally Posted by overcastg4 View Post
Materialism brought death and disease in the first place (study and apply what's in the bible for more on that).
You appear to be delivering nonsense. There is a forum devoted to ungrounded assertions, the religion forum. I think that you should peddle your ideas there, you are far more likely to find appreciation.
 
Old 01-30-2013, 02:10 PM
 
391 posts, read 199,184 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You appear to be delivering nonsense. There is a forum devoted to ungrounded assertions, the religion forum. I think that you should peddle your ideas there, you are far more likely to find appreciation.
And saying the biblical authors were ungrounded is so... grounded. Especially when application of their words continues to also reveal the detriments of materialism. Toddles.
 
Old 01-30-2013, 02:25 PM
 
3,574 posts, read 4,180,161 times
Reputation: 3061
Quote:
Originally Posted by overcastg4 View Post
Materialism brought death and disease in the first place (study and apply what's in the bible for more on that).
You are adorable. Run along now, sweetie. Off you go.
 
Old 01-30-2013, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
41,210 posts, read 18,624,767 times
Reputation: 18760
Quote:
Originally Posted by overcastg4 View Post
And saying the biblical authors were ungrounded is so... grounded. Especially when application of their words continues to also reveal the detriments of materialism. Toddles.
Instead of these hit and run incomprehensible posts, how about you providing us with a single reason to take you seriously? You may begin with a presentation of your evidence for the validity of the events portrayed in the Bible, showing us how well grounded they are.

We are rationalists here, we demand evidence, not assertions, reason, not noise.
 
Old 01-30-2013, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
6,715 posts, read 12,287,081 times
Reputation: 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by overcastg4 View Post
Materialism and theism can be found at any point in time, (materialism is warned against in the bible) and those are what dictate ignorance and wisdom; not time.
Nice strawman. I didn't say that time dictated ignorance and wisdom. What was implied was that relative to where we as humanity stand compared to where we stood several thousand years ago is wholesomely different. That has less to do with the passing of time and a lot more to do with the wisdom we've gained as a human race. My point was that several thousand years ago the human race used fanciful, anecdotal stories (i.e., Noah's Ark, rotten apples, talking serpents, etc...) to explain things they didn't know about at all. The pathetic thing is that you and many others (e.g. Biblical literalists) cling to these explanations as though they're not only believable but that they're representative of absolute truth.

Then to go forward and link the Bible as truth because it cautioned against materialism is like saying the Magna Carta is, part and parcel, a model document for the administration of law and order. The fact that the Magna Carta is an important document to parts of human history is undeniable but we wouldn't use it in this day and age because it's antiquated, would largely be viewed as immoral, and has little representation of truth and reality.
 
Old 02-14-2013, 04:48 PM
 
Location: On the Edge of the Fringe
4,892 posts, read 3,984,171 times
Reputation: 4138
Did you see the News today?
Science has also developed a visual prosthesis for blindness resulting from Retinitis Pigmatosa

In other words, Science now heals blindness too
 
Old 02-14-2013, 07:35 PM
 
10,585 posts, read 15,667,229 times
Reputation: 11936
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The original post certainly had to do with atheism - have you seen the website why god won't heal amputees

Why Won't God Heal Amputees?

Science has now come up with a way to heal amputees when god cannot or will not do so.

They became amputees on purpose. It's part of their destiny. Instead of turning it around and putting on god, maybe you should put it on government that sends chidren into unnecessary massacres for its profit?

It is also said in the Bible - though do I love, though do I punish.

Also, here's a parable for you.

A poor believer lady had an atheist neighbor, that kept picking on her. Finally, he bought a bunch of food, put it in a box, and placed on her porch, hiding in shrubs. Lady came out, saw the food, raised her hands and said "Thank you, Lord, for food provided!". Guy jumps out and says" No, it was not god, it was I who bought it. There is no god!".
Woman raises her hands up again, and says "Thank you, Lord! Not only did you provide food, but made Satan pay for it!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top