U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,712,118 times

Advertisements

People feared that religion would not survive the printing press either. Why do you think that the use of it was so regulated in the century following Gutenburg?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 10:59 AM

13,570 posts, read 21,712,120 times
Although I am not an Atheist. The internet has been a very valuable tool for me in my journey out of man' s organized religions. I have found that I am not the only one fed up self serving religions. I can be more open now in following what I have believed most of my life but had keep very private due to my marriage into the fundamentalist mind set religions. Some of the Atheists on this forum have provided valuable information that was useful in helping me to understand that I could openly believe in evolution while not dismissing a creator. I never did believe the bible was literal, thanks to an English teacher many years ago who gave me two paperback college books about the different forms of Literature used in the bible, after several discussions with her. I have an interest in Ancient History and Greek, Egyptian and Persian Mythology that was/is helpful in explaining the characters and events in the OT.

The internet (mainly this site) has also definitely allowed me to slip out of all man's religions and embrace everything I believed waaaay down deep somewhere, and to not be afraid to express it.

The believers here who also have a background in Science probably have helped me the most on these forums in connecting the dots between between belief and science.

Now it doesn't hurt when family, posters,etc "chastise" me, or send me to Dante's Inferno for my moderate to liberal stance on things they say are sin. After all these years I am free of any guilt any may want to put on me from either side. I cannot ever be angry or argue excessively with anyone because this site has also been a good source to me in of practicing tolerance, by remembering little tidbits from a variety of ones posts that sometimes reveals why they are who they appear to be here and that gives me a sympathetic understanding of where they are coming from.

People seem to be all hung up on the idea that one HAS to have a label attached to them for whatever they believe, I don't because with any label there comes different and specific rules in order to come under that label.

I think the internet is helping many many come out of man's religion and with reason are still able embrace the idea of a creator, simply because, like myself it is too much a part of who and what we are not to believe..
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio

Old 02-07-2013, 01:46 PM

39,023 posts, read 10,812,637 times
Thanks for that heartening post Miss Blue. There was (I confess ) a time when your declarations of belief bothered me a bit,but I have learned,too, that I can indeed respect your beliefs since I donotbelieve that they would even lead you to disrespect anyone's different beliefs or non -belief.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:28 PM

13,570 posts, read 21,712,120 times
It has been a rocky path for me in the real world, Arq and hard here on the forum at times. I value friendship and it hurts me to lose a friend just because I no longer participate in their world of religion. It takes a bit of time to unbind the straps of fundamentalism that have confined one for years and years. The hardest thing for me to overcome was the submission part and in perfect honesty that still looms up now and then and makes me feel inferior. The Uni's and the Atheists and even some of the others have been a great help though in that area.
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism