U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-04-2013, 03:47 PM
 
39,207 posts, read 10,887,543 times
Reputation: 5096

Advertisements

Agreed. I was just that 'science gives better answers' was the title of thread and it just popped into my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2013, 01:06 AM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,945 posts, read 4,748,074 times
Reputation: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Answer: because you and your religion (which you obviously have and would have all others follow) means absolutely nothing to me, along with your preaching. As do the majority of your comments.

They are responded to by me because I see you trying to insert your beliefs into the thinking of all others, insulting them with your comments (which you change at the drop of a hat).

Put on your big boy pants and tell the truth, with no spin for once. Stand by what you post without later revision. You might find it a refreshing change.
Me and my religion mean nothing to you? perhaps you should re-examine why you continue to care about my *insert conspiracy theory here*. I'm actually quite shocked to find that you shed yourself of your believes when you post comments. I'd be interested in finding out how you surmise that you are capable of such a feat. What truth do you want me to tell? your believes about my first comment being sincere and not sarcastic? They are mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 07:07 AM
 
Location: The land where cats rule
10,946 posts, read 8,263,546 times
Reputation: 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Me and my religion mean nothing to you? perhaps you should re-examine why you continue to care about my *insert conspiracy theory here*. I'm actually quite shocked to find that you shed yourself of your believes when you post comments. I'd be interested in finding out how you surmise that you are capable of such a feat. What truth do you want me to tell? your believes about my first comment being sincere and not sarcastic? They are mistaken.
You questions show just how deep of a believer you are, in direct contrast of your lying claims.

You cannot conceive that someone not only does not share your beliefs (note the correct spelling) but actually finds them inconsequential and irrelevant.

All you are truly interested in is trying to convince others of your own (alleged) superiority.

Once again, you fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 10:17 PM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,945 posts, read 4,748,074 times
Reputation: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
You questions show just how deep of a believer you are, in direct contrast of your lying claims.

You cannot conceive that someone not only does not share your beliefs (note the correct spelling) but actually finds them inconsequential and irrelevant.

All you are truly interested in is trying to convince others of your own (alleged) superiority.

Once again, you fail.
You humble me Arjay. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 07:10 AM
 
Location: The land where cats rule
10,946 posts, read 8,263,546 times
Reputation: 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
You humble me Arjay. Thank you.
You continue to lie, as in your claims re: religion.

What else can anyone expect from you? Certainly not the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2013, 12:57 AM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,945 posts, read 4,748,074 times
Reputation: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
You continue to lie, as in your claims re: religion.

What else can anyone expect from you? Certainly not the truth.
lie about what now? I actually felt humbled by that last post, it got me thinking about my subconscious. Yet, I simply refused to continue playing this imbecilic game with you; so I stopped my comments there. I thought you would be able to take a complement well. To tell you the truth, I'm extremely confused by your aggression and why you refuse to believe that I don't hate atheists. The luminous truth I believe in is simply a deep philosophical consideration of agnosticism. Are you simply scared of my pseudo-name? You find it personally distasteful? Have you checkout out the phobias I am trying to end? It's right there under my pseudo-name. Are you mad at my Status? I simply post things I find interesting and want to share in my status. I've had quotes from different people, my favorite books, etc. About 23 days ago I found a song by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis titled Vipassana. I looked up what it meant and found that Buddhists have a thing (possibly a scripture) called Vipassana, which means the greater vision. I found it extremely serendipitous, because I have always thought that even if Buddhism's Mythologies and Theologies are false, they present a greater vision then the less philosophical religions.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 02-08-2013 at 01:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2013, 08:41 PM
 
35 posts, read 59,626 times
Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post
As an atheist I have found that while it is all well and good to look down on religion, it is becoming more and more evident that there is a vocal minority (well i hope it's a minority!) of atheists who seem to have just chosen to be atheist without any actual reasoning or reason to do so.

What i mean is they are atheist not because they feel strongly in the concept and ideals but because it was a coin toss.

They will be quick to rant and rave "it's science!" but have no actual experience in observation and accept the opinions of others with as much belief as if their were fundamentalists standing before a preacher.

Anyone else experience this?
Better yet I hear a lot of christians and non-athiests accusing atheism of being a faith.

Reminds of once I heard Dr. Laura say to a non-believer "so you believe in nothing?" To which I thought I would respond to say "I don't engage in the act of believing. I know or I don't know. Believing is fantasizing."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2013, 08:47 PM
 
1,765 posts, read 2,447,936 times
Reputation: 1536
Despite what many claim, it's absolutely a faith! It's a clinging many times to science and what can be seen or proven as fact. But for many of it's followers it leaves very little room for what can't be seen. I'm not saying that's for everyone. With all things there's exceptions (spiritual atheism as an example). But it's a faith imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2013, 12:37 AM
 
Location: Athens, Greece
526 posts, read 579,974 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by lantenec View Post
Reminds of once I heard Dr. Laura say to a non-believer "so you believe in nothing?" To which I thought I would respond to say "I don't engage in the act of believing. I know or I don't know. Believing is fantasizing."
I suggest the following answer to that Dr. Laura’s answer:

“I believe what the data lead me to believe”

Examining the data available for the God issue won’t be to the liking of any believer.

Atheism (not so agnosticism) is a faith, but not in a religious sense (after all, all “isms” have to do with faith too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2013, 02:17 AM
 
39,207 posts, read 10,887,543 times
Reputation: 5096
Quote:
Originally Posted by lantenec View Post
Better yet I hear a lot of christians and non-athiests accusing atheism of being a faith.

Reminds of once I heard Dr. Laura say to a non-believer "so you believe in nothing?" To which I thought I would respond to say "I don't engage in the act of believing. I know or I don't know. Believing is fantasizing."
A good one-liner response (you need something quick before the mental faith -screen slams down) is 'atheists believe in everything - except religion'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top