U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 02:24 AM

583 posts, read 1,492,451 times

Advertisements

atheism is not a faith or religion for i do not belivein the bed time stoy of any culture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 03:20 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,854,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtango View Post
How can I be wrong? I am an atheist and regard atheism a faith.

Are you an atheist?
I very much doubt it!
Yes, you're correct - atheism is faith - to you.
Not to me, or to any other atheist I know.
I guess not collecting stamps is my hobby.

You're going to call me into doubt because I'm not exactly like you.
Wonderful.

Quote:
I said I have a faith. I didn’t say I do not believe.

I actually, honestly and truly believe that God is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.

Then you have a belief in some kind of god thingie.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:54 AM

10,946 posts, read 8,266,473 times
Quote:
How can I be wrong? I am an atheist and regard atheism a faith.

Are you an atheist?
I very much doubt it!
You can be and are wrong in what you claim. You are attempting to make what others believe or do not believe into what you want it to be. You are attempting to actually create your beliefs into a religion. Probably with yourself as the figurehead (god).

Playing semantic games does not prove you to be correct, only lacking in basic understanding of the subject.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:30 AM

39,235 posts, read 10,905,565 times
The whole 'atheism - as -faith' debate does tend to be dickering about with the semantics of 'belief' and 'faith' and cherry -picked definitions, plus of course people coming up with their own definitions and insisting they are the right ones.

It doesn't matter a hoot whether dtango calls hims self atheist or not. His views on gods are not quite the same as ours and that is the end of it.

As to atheism as a faith, let alone religion, trying to pin those labels onto it gains the theist apologist nothing since, even if atheism was Faith and even a religion, the logical and evidential basis for it is sound and that for god -beliefs isn't.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:48 AM

14,197 posts, read 9,102,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
The whole 'atheism - as -faith' debate does tend to be dickering about with the semantics of 'belief' and 'faith' and cherry -picked definitions, plus of course people coming up with their own definitions and insisting they are the right ones.

It doesn't matter a hoot whether dtango calls hims self atheist or not. His views on gods are not quite the same as ours and that is the end of it.

As to atheism as a faith, let alone religion, trying to pin those labels onto it gains the theist apologist nothing since, even if atheism was Faith and even a religion, the logical and evidential basis for it is sound and that for god -beliefs isn't.
In my theist daze I was guilty of the hand-waving dismissal of atheism-as-faith. Everyone has faith in something, I "reasoned", even if only themselves. It was not an honest way to engage the question, but I wasn't interested in honesty at that point in my life. I wanted to cocoon in my little nest of comforting lies.

So I think it does gain the theist something to make these assertions, even if that "something" is illusory. It paints faith as a universal human need, and allows you to dismiss atheism in one go as a simple case of a misplaced faith-object.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:54 AM

526 posts, read 580,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Playing semantic games does not prove you to be correct, only lacking in basic understanding of the subject.
I play no semantic games and I am an expert on the subject.

I stated clearly my belief: I do believe that the God is as described by all ancient and archaic texts and summarized by Dawkins, in his words: the God is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully

So I believe firmly that the God is a fictional character. The capriciously malevolent bully part of his character cannot be easily understood; unless if you are also an expert on the subject.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:03 PM

8,820 posts, read 6,371,468 times
that's BS, atheism has not one thing to do with faith or belief...Those type words are used to describe the following type...

Old 03-05-2013, 01:29 PM

526 posts, read 580,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
that's BS, atheism has not one thing to do with faith or belief...
That's your type of atheism, dear, not mine.

Do you know what "theomachy" means?
Those who fought against the gods had a firm belief in their existence.

To me gods are, as already stated, the popes and bishops. So, do spare me the BS.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:37 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,643,880 times
Quote:
To me gods are, as already stated, the popes and bishops. So, do spare me the BS.
Proof dtango is actually a polythiest. Well at least we now know his true identity.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:34 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,371,468 times
the popes and bishops are gods? you must be joking? those that raped and molested kids are your gods? everytime you think you've heard it all...and what cult do you belong to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism