Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:46 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times

Advertisements

Religion may not survive the Internet - Salon.com

Quote:
As we head into a new year, the guardians of traditional religion are ramping up efforts to keep their flocks—or, in crass economic terms, to retain market share. Some Christians have turned to soul searching while others have turned to marketing. Last fall, the LDS church spent millions on billboards, bus banners, and Facebook ads touting “I’m a Mormon.” In Canada, the Catholic Church has launched a “Come Home” marketing campaign. The Southern Baptists Convention voted to rebrand themselves. A hipster mega-church in Seattle combines smart advertising with sales force training for members and a strategy the Catholics have emphasized for centuries: competitive breeding.

In October of 2012 the Pew Research Center announced that for the first time ever Protestant Christians had fallen below 50 percent of the American population. Atheists cheered and evangelicals beat their breasts and lamented the end of the world as we know it. Historian of religion, Molly Worthen, has since offered big picture insights that may dampen the most extreme hopes and fears. Anthropologist Jennifer James, on the other hand, has called fundamentalism the “death rattle” of the Abrahamic traditions.

In all of the frenzy, few seem to give any recognition to the player that I see as the primary hero, or, if you prefer, culprit—and I’m not talking about science popularizer and atheist superstar Neil deGrasse Tyson. Then again, maybe I am talking about Tyson in a sense, because in his various viral guises—as a talk show host and tweeter and as the face on scores of smartass Facebook memes—Tyson is an incarnation of the biggest threat that organized religion has ever faced: the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 12:26 PM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
To people who have made any serious inquiry into it, I think religion is currently on life support.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:02 PM

392 posts, read 248,204 times
I always wonder what people mean by "[theism] may not survive the Internet." Almost everywhere I go I see debauchery and faithless activity already rampant. It always has been that way (even b4 the Internet).

Old 01-30-2013, 01:03 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,253 times
When it comes to religious faith, "none of the above" is rapidly growing.

‘No Religion’ on the Rise: 19.6% Have No Religious Affiliation - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

Old 01-30-2013, 01:29 PM

9,329 posts, read 13,002,482 times
I don't think religion is dying out anytime soon. What is happening, however, is that liberal and moderate sects are shrinking as their ultra-orthodox counterparts are expanding. For many people, religion will still retain some level of cultural significance, albeit without the dogma that all-too-often comes along with it.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:44 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
I can live with that. While I am actually atheist in my view on religion it has been pointed out by christian apologists that what I am actually active if not militant about is anti -religion.

There was a memorable Penn Gilette You-Tube (I must track it down) which made me realize that, not only are agnostics and Deists people in the same camp as atheists (though we may actually argue furiously about the evidence and rationale for a creative Sortagod) but Irreligious theists should also be on our side in getting rid of man made religion, man made religious rites and man -made religious authority.

Their belief in some god or other I can tolerate as it doesn't affect me at all.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:12 AM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overcastg4 View Post
I always wonder what people mean by "[theism] may not survive the Internet." Almost everywhere I go I see debauchery and faithless activity already rampant. It always has been that way (even b4 the Internet).
Them why do you go to those places if it bothers you?

Old 02-06-2013, 03:40 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,988 times
The internet has had a huge effect in the battle against religion. Mainly because atheists and anti-theists have taken it upon themselves to attempt to ensure that wherever a religion claim is made... the atheist counter claims and arguments are made beside them.

In the past religion claims were often brought unchallenged to the people. They did not know or hear the counter points. They did not have people undermining the claims by pointing the holes out in them... or explaining the basic fallacies and showing where the theist claims overlapped them.

But now we have that. People like myself argue against the religious on forums like this.... not to change the minds of the people we are arguing against as the Mickels and TWDs on these fora are as entrenched as it gets and are entirely lost causes.... but to ensure that any ELSE reading the threads will see the holes and flaws in the theistic nonsense highlighted for what they are and no theist claim gets made on here without the flaws in it being illuminated from many angels by people with many voices and styles.

And long may it continue.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:30 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Can't rep Nozz,yet, but that is bang on the money. To those frequent posts asking why we talk about what we don't believe in and why don't we just shut up and go away, we (at least I) said that we had to do this; it was necessary and a duty to the public to put the counters to the religious claims and not give them the clear field they had always enjoyed.

Not to convert or prosetylize, as Nozz says, but to enable people to weigh up the arguments and choose - And I flatter atheism that it has the better arguments and that the pressing of them in forums such as this did its bit to help them form the rational, logical and evidentially Better view that even if there is possible somesortagod out there, religion,its claims,Holy books and myths are like a Crock - Man -made.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:02 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post

In the past religion claims were often brought unchallenged to the people. They did not know or hear the counter points. They did not have people undermining the claims by pointing the holes out in them... or explaining the basic fallacies

Various internet websites helped ME see the light (and I don't mean "The Light" they sing about in gospel songs)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism