U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 02:10 PM

1,266 posts, read 988,662 times

Advertisements

Some more info has since come to light that makes this case even more interesting. It appears Applebee's has used social media in the past to share info left behind by customers, including a note commending the service left by a customer. The note, including the customer's signature at the bottom, was posted online through Applebee's own social media accounts. The instant Applebee's commented on this more recent event, however, that note was taken down. Applebee's claims they have a strict policy about customer privacy vis-à-vis social media, but the server insists there was nothing in the handbook that prohibited her actions. I'd like to see who is right and who is being dishonest.

Also, an article was recently published online exposing quite a bit of manipulation and poor PR methodologies on the part of Applebee's in dealing with the fallout from this event. See here for the details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 02:39 PM

41,131 posts, read 18,604,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel O. McClellan View Post
It appears Applebee's has used social media in the past to share info left behind by customers, including a note commending the service left by a customer. The note, including the customer's signature at the bottom, was posted online through Applebee's own social media accounts. .
The above lends weight to my original suspicion that this privacy policy did not actually exist until after the incident with the pastor.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:53 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,904,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I'm unclear on what you are referencing as garbage.

The law...as in you don't like it?

Or are you trying to argue that the note on the check enjoys some legal protected status? If the latter, I again ask for the specific law. You mentioned "The American Privacy Act" but could you identify the specific part of that law which you believe covers this situation?

The privacy laws of the US and various states concern the public revelation of private facts. The pastor's note was a public act, leaving behind a note expressing her opinions on a public policy, and available to be found by a member of the public, not even a specific one.

If your position was simply that you think that private morality dictated no disclosure of the note, then that represents your opinion. If you think that the note enjoys some legal privacy protection, it does not.

Consider...what if instead of writing a note, the woman had delivered her review of the policy orally to the cashier when she was paying the bill. She is overheard by others waiting to pay. Is it your notion that those others are legally prevented from telling the story to whomever they wish? If one of them posted it on a personal blog, do you think that person could be sued for invasion of privacy? Of course not...it was a public act, not a private one. Same deal with the note.
I told you I am not a lawyer but using your argument suggests that when one pays for a meal with a credit card and signs the check it suddenly becomes public property to be viewed and discussed by anyone in any way they would choose. I say that idea is garbage. A check is a legal transaction between the customer and the place of business. The entire thing was a business transaction, not a public happening.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:41 PM

14,197 posts, read 9,097,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I told you I am not a lawyer but using your argument suggests that when one pays for a meal with a credit card and signs the check it suddenly becomes public property to be viewed and discussed by anyone in any way they would choose. I say that idea is garbage. A check is a legal transaction between the customer and the place of business. The entire thing was a business transaction, not a public happening.
The pastor had an (erroneous in my opinion) expectation of privacy. Certainly a business transaction is not generally expected to become public information but there are many situations in which that will, in fact, happen, so it's always prudent to conduct yourself in such a way that you would not be embarrassed for the general public to be made aware of your behavior.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:56 PM

41,131 posts, read 18,604,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The entire thing was a business transaction, not a public happening.
It was a business transaction only until the pastor turned it into a public editorial with her note.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism