U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 02:04 PM

40,853 posts, read 18,557,746 times

Advertisements

Applebee

Quote:
An Applebee's waitress who posted a receipt with a note from a pastor complaining about the automatic gratuity added to the bill on the Internet was fired on Wednesday after the pastor complained to her manager.

Chelsea Welch, the waitress, wrote in an email to Yahoo News that the pastor (who has since been identified as Alois Bell) told Welch's manager at the St. Louis-area Applebee's that the ensuing firestorm had "ruined" her reputation.

"I give God 10%," Bell wrote on the receipt, scratching out the automatic tip and scribbling in an emphatic "0" where the additional tip would be. "Why do you get 18?" (There were more than eight people in Bell's party, triggering the auto-tip.)

Welch, who snapped a photo of the bill from a fellow server and uploaded to Reddit
Applebees apologized to the reverend for violating her "right to privacy." I wonder about that, there is certainly no legal privacy protection extended toward a note that someone wrote and left in a public place for someone else to find. Once found, that note becomes the property of the finder and that finder is not restricted in its use. Applebees is creating this right to privacy doctrine on the spot and I wonder if it would have been extended to someone who stiffed the waitress and left behind a note of complaint about the tip policy, but who wasn't a pastor.

As for the policy itself, there I side with the reverend, the entire idea of a tip is for the customer to reward proper service. Make it mandatory and that concept is defeated, the waiter has no additional motivation to provide good service.

Last edited by Crew Chief; 02-02-2013 at 09:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 04:28 PM

14,191 posts, read 9,079,084 times
I don't agree with mandatory tips although I understand the impulse behind them. I also don't like what the waitress did as it's contrary to the general principle that The Customer Is Always Right. However, I don't agree that a pastor, or me, or anyone expressing an opinion like this has any reasonable expectation of privacy. Particularly since the pastor went to a zero tip rather than an amount appropriate to the level of service received -- and when the justification was an unctuous non-sequiter attempting to compare thithing rates to tipping rates, as if one had anything to do with the other.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:52 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,268,009 times
I did some research on this "pastor." She has many aliases. Her church is a small storefront. Her congregation is 15 people.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:23 PM

4,226 posts, read 2,591,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I don't agree with mandatory tips although I understand the impulse behind them. I also don't like what the waitress did as it's contrary to the general principle that The Customer Is Always Right. However, I don't agree that a pastor, or me, or anyone expressing an opinion like this has any reasonable expectation of privacy. Particularly since the pastor went to a zero tip rather than an amount appropriate to the level of service received -- and when the justification was an unctuous non-sequiter attempting to compare thithing rates to tipping rates, as if one had anything to do with the other.
Great post. I couldn't agree more.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:27 PM

4,226 posts, read 2,591,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I did some research on this "pastor." She has many aliases. Her church is a small storefront. Her congregation is 15 people.
The waitress should sue both parties (ex-employer/pastor).

Old 02-01-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
The waitress should sue both parties (ex-employer/pastor).
There is no legal case against the pastor, all she did was complain and that isn't any sort of tort or civil rights violation. A case against Appelbees for unjust firing would probably hinge on an argument about employee notification of policies and whether or not this customer right of privacy policy actually existed before the incident. If there was never any notice to employees about customer privacy rules, and there are no incidents in Appelbees past where an employee was disciplined for violating it, then the attorneys for the waitress can argue that the firing was an unreasonable ambush, the employee had no way of knowing that this was a violation. They could argue that the policy is ex post facto, something crafted after the incident took place.

It would come down to selling some judge on the idea of policy notice being mandatory. Appelbees attorneys would of course argue that such a policy was simply common sense and the waitress could be reasonably expected to anticipate severe consequences for privacy violations.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:55 PM

455 posts, read 763,217 times
The thing that irks me is the mindset to begin with. The "pastor" refutes a standard practice of gratuity by using her "tithe" to "God" as some sort of comparative to why she should not be participating in the practices in which she has put herself into the position of obliging in the first place...

I apologize to her if she has somehow lived all these years and this is the first time she's come across included gratuity (which I doubt), but to refute such a common practice on the basis of "having already given what is required", as though she has met her quota of being a selfless person for the day, all to save herself a few bucks while getting off with the self-righteous indignation that goes with justifying her own actions, frankly... it's not shocking at all!

Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Sandwich View Post

....as though she has met her quota of being a selfless person for the day, all to save herself a few bucks while getting off with the self-righteous indignation that goes with justifying her own actions, frankly... it's not shocking at all!
The "already met my quota" is one possible interpretation. The pastor may have also meant that she was offended by the idea that a waitress should demand a higher percentage (18 over 10) than god asks as his piece of the action.

Or maybe she meant it both ways, they are equally stupid.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:58 PM

6,861 posts, read 3,783,816 times
Feel a bit sorry for the waitress but otherwise its a hilarious story.
The pastor won't hand over the tip because he's already given 10% to his imaginary friend? LOL
She should have said 'well I don't believe in God - now where's my tip?'

What a great excuse though. Christians could start using this all over. 'Oh sorry, I've already given my tip to god today.'

Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 PM

8,820 posts, read 6,362,600 times
she ought to sue the boss and the cultist leader
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism