U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 09:33 PM

2,707 posts, read 3,357,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Good, thanks, so you get my point.
Here, I do get your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 06:54 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,132,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
That's a strange choice of word - enslaved. The wonderful thing about science and epigenetics is that we can better understand ourselves and learn from it. While you may be a product of the past, that does not mean you cannot change your future - or your present, so in this sense you are not enslaved. Who knows why we exist? It is one of those great remaining unanswered questions. But you are here and you have conscious thought and with that brings an appreciation of all that you have before you. You are clearly an intelligent person - you can change anything. One thing that is possible to change right away is to not view life as a negative, because there is no point to that. You can choose not to but that seems like such a waste. As long as you are on this earth, you might as well seize the day.
I appreciate the tone of this post (you seem like a nice person), although I can hardly ensure a 180 degree change of perspective--in fact I would certainly bet against it. I find pessimism to be useful if not mandated by the materialist worldview. If I seize the day only to find a year from now that my carpe-ing of the diem was merely an illusion (I await the materialist explanation of consciousness), then what am I left with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or