U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 04:22 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,392,877 times

Advertisements

maybe it's wishful thinking but I hope he's atheist..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 05:16 AM

1,014 posts, read 992,440 times
It's possible, but I think he is just an open-minded, liberal Christian who tries to respect different faiths as much as he respects the lack of one. I know way more Christians who never go to church than Christians who always go to church.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:04 PM

9,845 posts, read 22,283,015 times
OMG! So happy someone put this up because I have been thinking this for a long time. I have always felt the president is not very religious but has used religion for political gain and for networking. Considering where he got his start in Chicago he needed to connect with people at that level so he needed to engage them there. But nothing about him strikes me as someone who is religious. Reading his books I also never got the impression he is very religious. Now I don't want to make the leap that he is an Atheist or even Agnostic. I just don't think he is anwyhere near as religious as he tries to let on...

Old 02-12-2013, 09:08 AM

13,394 posts, read 25,727,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
I dont think he truly holds traditional Christian beliefs and I am certain he does not believe in nonsense such as virgin births or rising from death.

It is possible he is a closet athiest. I suspect he is something more similar to quasi-agnostic, deistic, or "spiritual".
I agree. Just as Clinton was called "the first black president," I think Obama is the first "gay atheist president." He's mentioned "our friends of different beliefs and no beliefs" too many times for me to think he's not at least a sympathizer. It's one thing I truly treasure about him, although he has to say "God bless America" enough times to keep people happy. If there was a god, I still wouldn't want anyone claiming that America is exceptional. Fortunate, a great experiment, a place I'm glad to be born into, but not exceptional From Above.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:32 AM

31,385 posts, read 32,250,445 times
Gee, this thread has really opened my eyes. To think that back when I was Christian that I was taught that only god had the ability to judge a person's faith. Only to now discover that mere men have that ability as well.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:08 AM

3,575 posts, read 4,198,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Gee, this thread has really opened my eyes. To think that back when I was Christian that I was taught that only god had the ability to judge a person's faith. Only to now discover that mere men have that ability as well.
Well of course we have the ability to judge a person's faith... as well as their beliefs, actions, words, morals, intelligence, etc. That's part of being an intelligent, social animal that can think and act upon information that we perceive(and receive) from other people. It also allows us to have empathy/sympathy and relate to others around us.

Why would Christians even promote the idea that only "god" has that ability? Is it to accept another person's faith unquestioningly? To live ignorantly without disagreement or critical thought?

I have no idea if Obama is an Atheist or not, but I see patterns in his behavior (or lack of religious behavior more appropriately) and in his words giving us recognition which seems to be repeated over and over.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:26 PM

14,198 posts, read 9,161,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I don't know exactly what you mean by "judge". I assume it has a negative connotation for you, of "passing judgment upon". I don't see anyone doing that here at all. We are evaluating, and most are liking what they are evaluating and liking the man. As an unbeliever I appreciate him not disenfranchising me, regardless of what he personally (dis)believes.

I don't agree that there is some implicit taboo on ever assessing someone's religions beliefs. We evaluate people's integrity, punctuality, reliability, attention to detail, commitment to spouse and children, and on and on. Some of it people will go into more depth on than is necessary or than is any of their concern, some will not, but it happens all the time as we decide who to be friends with, where to work, what vendors to use, etc. Why would one's spirituality be any different?

Old 02-12-2013, 01:32 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,548,245 times
I have always suspected Obama is a closet-atheist. The Clintons as well. At least, Hillary. Probably many Democratic and a few Republican politicians are atheists, or at least agnostic, but for obvious reasons don't show their true colors. I have even wondered if John McCain is one of us.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:07 PM

41,708 posts, read 18,744,291 times
Simply by contrast to his predecessor who was openly devout and fundamentalist oriented, President Obama radiates an absence of religious enthusiasm. Whether that means he is a non believer or not cannot be determined just on that basis.

As with others here, I join in suspicion about the real level of devotion displayed by some of our presidents. Washington is a blank slate, though affiliated with the Episcopalians by family tradition, he left behind no writings which would identify his religious beliefs one way or the other. The same may be said of James Monroe. Zachary Taylor, another nominally Episcopalian, never attended any religious services on a regular basis and did not leave behind any evidence of belief.

Lincoln is really hard to pin down. Early in his administration he seemed a Deist at best, he never attended any particular services with any sort of regularity, but did tend to put in appearances at a variety of churches, as if shopping for a proper theology. In the last two years of his administration his speeches started becoming marked by frequent biblical references. Lincoln was famous for saying that he did not share anyone's belief that god was on their side during the war. Instead he pointed out that both sides prayed to the same god and that instead of insisting that god was on their side, it was better to try and do what seemed to be right and hope that this was god's side. Mrs. Lincoln described him as a man who had neither religious "hope nor faith" and this same observation was offered by others who knew him well.

Nixon was a Quaker by family tradition, but he never kept to any Quaker doctrines. That faith forbids the swearing of oaths, and forbids military service, both things that Nixon did. He certainly didn't have the chaste vocabulary associated with the Quakers, as the tapes revealed. I don't think he had any interest in religion at all apart from its political utility.

I also doubt that JFK took his religion seriously outside of its utility in relation to politics. He made it very clear during the 1960 campaign that no one was going to have to worry about his Catholicism or his being influenced by the Pope. He made a speech in West Virginia that spelled out his loyalty to the idea of separation of church and state.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:11 AM

9,845 posts, read 22,283,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
I have always suspected Obama is a closet-atheist. The Clintons as well. At least, Hillary. Probably many Democratic and a few Republican politicians are atheists, or at least agnostic, but for obvious reasons don't show their true colors. I have even wondered if John McCain is one of us.
Yes McCain is definitely another one. If I'd make a list of hidden Atheists/Agnostics he's probably on there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or