Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 01:40 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times

Advertisements

Not a chance. You have to have a bit of intelligence to be an atheist, and he's not even in the ballpark intellectually.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:24 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Not a chance. You have to have a bit of intelligence to be an atheist, and he's not even in the ballpark intellectually.
Congrats, you have just won a spot on my ignore list for your less than intelligent post.

And here I thought most atheists were smart, how stupid of me.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:27 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Well, if he is, then he's also the world's biggest cynic. After all, he schlepped it to that church in Chicago for quite a while. Was he just doing that to boost his electability?

Old 02-19-2013, 09:40 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, if he is, then he's also the world's biggest cynic. After all, he schlepped it to that church in Chicago for quite a while. Was he just doing that to boost his electability?
It's quite possible that it did it to boost his chances for election. Regardless of his religion (or lack of), he is still a politician.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 AM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
It's quite possible that it did it to boost his chances for election. Regardless of his religion (or lack of), he is still a politician.
He was also a community organizer before he was a Senator and I'm sure that he had to bond with the man-on-the-street ethos of the 'hood in order to get anything done at that level. It's not that he was insincere (necessarily) but without street creds he wasn't going to get any cooperation from the community.

To do this kind of work I don't know that you necessarily have to prove you're "one of us" to the constituency but you have to at least show that you "get it" to some reasonable level. If you are angry and disenfranchised then you want political leadership that can embrace you where you are at. I don't seriously think Obama ever literally and personally bought much of Jeremiah Wright's rhetoric, but what he bought was the impulse behind it. Enough to work with it.

Many people can't understand that level of nuance. Everything is black or white, good or bad, and so they make the mistake of confusing Obama's ability to connect with radicalism or black anger, with him trying to conceal a radical, angry personal agenda. He's just far too smart for that. Obama has endured -- and continues to endure -- an unprecedented level of irrational hatred and bigotry (both explicit and implicit) from people who, whether they admit it to themselves or the world at large or not, can't stand the idea of a black man in the presidency. He has done it with tremendous forbearance, grace, and dignity. He has, for the most part, not been baited or taken off his game or discouraged. For that, I salute him.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:53 AM

77 posts, read 82,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
Sure.

It's possible he joined a church in 1992 because he anticipated running for President in 2008, sixteen years later. Alternately, you might claim he joined the church in anticipation of his statehouse run in 1996, though that would still require four years of advance plotting and, really, is it that necessary to join a church to run for the Illinois Senate? Statehouse candidates get pretty thin scrutiny, after all, and we're talking about Chicago, Illinois -- not exactly the Bible Belt.

Further, if we assume this methodical years-in-advance plotting, then we're faced with the fact that he picked a church with a pastor who was, shall we say, a bit problematic for Barack Obama's long-term political fortunes. So civilian Obama was crafty and plotting years in advance, but not clever enough to select a church which would provide him religious cover without any attendant controversy? This requires us to believe that he is both shrewdly Machiavellian and hopelessly hapless, all in one.

So, either that tortuous explanation is true, or he is simply religious. I'll go with Occam's Razor and assume that he is, in all likelihood, simply a believer.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:30 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
if you believe fraudelently claiming to be a believer is the limit of any politicans cynicism , you see more good in people than i do

Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 PM

35 posts, read 71,940 times
No, just a run of the mill fool....

Old 03-03-2013, 09:33 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lantenec View Post
No, just a run of the mill fool....
I'd give him far more credit than I'd give you. Unless, of course, you were a graduate of the Harvard Law School. As were Antonin Scalia, Anthony Kennedy and John G. Roberts.

To label Obama a fool makes you the bigger fool.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:46 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
I assume a lot of politicians are somehwere close to agnostic.
Full on atheists? We'll never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism