U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 03:54 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,748,553 times

Advertisements

Obama claims he is a christian yet has liberal beliefs. I don't think most atheists care on what religion he follows. Obama did not grow up in a religoius background yet he did grow up in a very open minded environment.

The following is an extended excerpt from President Obama’s The Audacity of Hope, from the chapter on religion and faith, discussing his background while a child on the issue regarding religion:

In her (Obama mother) mind, a working knowledge of the world’s great religions was a necessary part of any well-rounded education. In our household the Bible, the Koran, and the Bhagavad Gita sat on the shelf alongside books of Greek and Norse and African mythology. On Easter or Christmas Day my mother might drag me to church, just as she dragged me to the Buddhist temple, the Chinese New Year celebration, the Shinto shrine, and ancient Hawaiian burial sites. But I was made to understand that such religious samplings required no sustained commitment on my part — no introspective exertion or self-flagellation. Religion was an expression of human culture, she would explain, not its wellspring, just one of the many ways — and not necessarily the best way — that man attempted to control the unknowable and understand the deeper truths about our lives. In sum, my mother viewed religion through the eyes of the anthropologist that she would become; it was a phenomenon to be treated with a suitable respect, but with a suitable detachment as well. Moreover, as a child I rarely came in contact with those who might offer a substantially different view of faith. The Contributions of Freethinkers: Ann Dunham

Anyway Obama would have pracised the faith as a Christian when he became a adult, yet still retained the values he obtained from his mother.

Last edited by other99; 03-10-2013 at 04:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 12:41 PM

3,574 posts, read 4,175,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Obama claims he is a christian yet has liberal beliefs.
How is being a Christian or liberal mutually exclusive? Jesus was a liberal, right?

Old 03-11-2013, 12:44 PM

2,141 posts, read 2,571,554 times
Some of our founding father's were deist...no surprise that some presidents had "alternative" religious beliefs.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:04 PM

11,198 posts, read 11,010,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Some of our founding father's were deist...no surprise that some presidents had "alternative" religious beliefs.
My opinion is that some of the founders claimed to be Deists because that was the least religious "politically correct" term that they could use.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:37 PM

17,287 posts, read 19,572,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestak View Post
Sure.

It's possible he joined a church in 1992 because he anticipated running for President in 2008, sixteen years later. Alternately, you might claim he joined the church in anticipation of his statehouse run in 1996, though that would still require four years of advance plotting and, really, is it that necessary to join a church to run for the Illinois Senate? Statehouse candidates get pretty thin scrutiny, after all, and we're talking about Chicago, Illinois -- not exactly the Bible Belt.

Further, if we assume this methodical years-in-advance plotting, then we're faced with the fact that he picked a church with a pastor who was, shall we say, a bit problematic for Barack Obama's long-term political fortunes. So civilian Obama was crafty and plotting years in advance, but not clever enough to select a church which would provide him religious cover without any attendant controversy? This requires us to believe that he is both shrewdly Machiavellian and hopelessly hapless, all in one.

So, either that tortuous explanation is true, or he is simply religious. I'll go with Occam's Razor and assume that he is, in all likelihood, simply a believer.
It doesn't have to be methodical planning. Nobody knows for sure what they'll be doing and how they will think 20 years from now. Obama may have been a believer initially and then became atheist/agnostic in more recent years, once he saw the "light." He's changed his view on same-sex marriage. He can change his view about God.

Happens all the time.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:53 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,989,888 times
Well if you read his book he is a christian but with a different view on what is ned to be saved.Not that strange really. But he beleives i god and the son;so he is a Christian. Certainly if not then he is a huge lier and can't be trusted in much he says;but that to isn't unusual in humans because even Chrictian realise we aree all sinners and lying is a sin.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:45 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,748,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
How is being a Christian or liberal mutually exclusive? Jesus was a liberal, right?
According to some he was, others he was not. Yet Jesus did not hold strong political views and was largely detached from the political system of his day. He did not attempt a uprising or make any resistance against Roman Rule in that region too and if he did it would have made him more popular among Jewish people in that day. He did not strive for political power but to gain converts to his religion.

Obama is a political leader which Jesus did not gain. Obama has liberal beliefs as he is in contrasts with Conservative Christian beliefs such as he is pro gay marriage and pro abortion.

Last edited by other99; 03-11-2013 at 04:58 PM..

Old 03-12-2013, 07:05 AM

11,198 posts, read 11,010,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
According to some he was, others he was not. Yet Jesus did not hold strong political views and was largely detached from the political system of his day. He did not attempt a uprising or make any resistance against Roman Rule in that region too and if he did it would have made him more popular among Jewish people in that day. He did not strive for political power but to gain converts to his religion.

Obama is a political leader which Jesus did not gain. Obama has liberal beliefs as he is in contrasts with Conservative Christian beliefs such as he is pro gay marriage and pro abortion.
There must be an awfully lot of Christians that didn't get your memo. They support marriage equality and a woman's right to make her own choices about her body. Even a large number of Catholics say the RCC's ban on birth control and abortion is wrong. Many of those same Christians have conservative political views.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:51 PM

35 posts, read 59,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
I'd give him far more credit than I'd give you. Unless, of course, you were a graduate of the Harvard Law School. As were Antonin Scalia, Anthony Kennedy and John G. Roberts.

To label Obama a fool makes you the bigger fool.
Person Y is right. Why?
Because he went to Harvard.

Or how about, Person X claims 1+1=3
X's statment is true. Why?
Because he went to Harvard.

This is just a roundabout version of the appeal to authority fallacy. Obviously Harvard made a mistake with this one....

Old 03-28-2013, 12:37 AM

278 posts, read 255,604 times
I watched the very lame documentary "2016", which is a weak attempt at a conspiracy theory regarding Obama's early life, his ascendency to presidency, and his policy-making.
Obama's father was an atheist and had a very profound affect on Obama in the short time he actually got to know him. Obama's book, "Dreams from my Father" chronicles his father's beliefs and how they affected Obama's life. Therefore, IMO, there is no way, that Obama didn't think long and hard about atheism. It wasn't until, he started doing public servant work(i.e. thinking of going into politics) that he found religion. His reasoning was that he saw how religion gave hope to the destitute people he worked around.
I'm fairly certain that there are many, many closet atheists in the church and in politics. Besides, don't most of them live like atheists anyways? How many scandals involving Prostitutes, child-molesting, homosexuals, stealing money, etc? How can one argue these people are faithful worshippers?
It can pay well to be a liar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or