U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:20 AM

152 posts, read 121,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
I recently contacted a realtor in another state to assist my husband and I with our house hunt.
When our initial phone call ended he says: "Have a blessed day!"
Today I recieved an email and he ended it with "God Bless".
I consider myself to be extremely tolerant of an individuals religious beliefs, but I found this oddly offensive.
This realtor has good reviews and no obvious mention of strong religious aspects as far as his business goes.
I don't want to be unreasonably judgemental as far as my extreme dislike of having "God" shoved down my throat and my general distrust of organized religion in general. Many Christians are good, hardworking people that I'm friendly with (even if I don't share their beliefs).
However......I seem to have a problem with someone (especially in a business situation) automatically assuming that I care to be "blessed" by them.
I don't.
There are many other just as reputable realtors that I can contact, but I don't necessarily feel "right" about 'disqualifying' this one simply because he is (in my opinion) "flaunting" his religion.
Any thoughts?
Am I over reacting?
i say ,just live and let live.. its just what they are taught, or what they choose to believe in.. everyone is different, don't think they are trying to offend.
You are reacting how you feel , nothing wrong with recognizing how you feel, but its better for you or anyone to not let the little things in life ruin our peace of mind and get us angry.. not worth it in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 09:47 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,605,943 times
Quote:
In retrospect, I made a mistake in the title of this thread.
And I probably posted it in the wrong area.
It really isn't a religious issue, it's a realtor issue.
I've been "blessed" many times by many people, and never took offense.
I've even "blessed" people myself when the situation called for it.
I was trying to rationalize my "gut feeling" that this realtor wasn't a good "fit" for me, and I latched onto the "God Bless" as an excuse, rather than just trusting my instincts.
I sincerely appreciate all the responses.
It has certainly helped me become more self-aware.
Good job continuing to examine your feelings until you got to the core of what the real problem is for you

Sounds like a change in realtors is in order, as is your right as the consumer and client.

Best of luck!

And I have to say it, sorry - Have a blessed day!!!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:20 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,847,271 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm not at all offended.
Just wondering if this is the right person to have a serious business relationship with.
Buying a house is a very big deal, and we will be doing this from out of state. A comfortable, trusting relationship is crucial.
I agree with this.
No business dealing with a self-proclaimed christian has ever come to any good with me.
I've found them all to be dishonest.
Yes, all.

If you mention your religion, I no longer need your services.
I'll pay someone else.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
This is the stuff of intolerance.

In your perfect world-it sounds like-you would not allow any religious expression. To be blessed means to have happy and positive things come your way. And you felt offended??? Why, cuz a belief in a god might be invovled?

So the next time you shake your head at some fundie saying he or she is offended, take some time to look in a mirror.

And yes, I am being harsh...

...for a good reason.

Let's make this a better world, one person at a time. Respect and tolerance begets respect and tolerance.
Then the religious need to respect that others don't want to hear about their religion, or bask in your blessings.
Respect and tolerance isn't a one-way street. The realtor didn't have it.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Then the religious need to respect that others don't want to hear about their religion, or bask in your blessings.
Respect and tolerance isn't a one-way street. The realtor didn't have it.
Again, this isn't a "religion" issue.

The realtor wasn't attempting to convert our OP, invite her to church/temple, discuss their brand of religion etc.

The realtor was simply living their faith - which is quite different than "being religious".

Blessing someone is just a way to impart a peaceful greeting or goodbye, as others here have explained.

Think of it as being similar to when an Indian person greets others with their hands together in a prayer-like position and says "NAMASTE!"

Old 02-26-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Again, this isn't a "religion" issue.

The realtor wasn't attempting to convert our OP, invite her to church/temple, discuss their brand of religion etc.

The realtor was simply living their faith - which is quite different than "being religious".

Blessing someone is just a way to impart a peaceful greeting or goodbye, as others here have explained.

Think of it as being similar to when an Indian person greets others with their hands together in a prayer-like position and says "NAMASTE!"
To you it's not a religion issue, to me, it is.
Live her faith but not on me.
I know lots of Indian people and they don't namaste me unless it's in a yoga class.

And I get to spend my money exactly where, and how, I want to.
People who use overt christian/religious greetings don't get it.
Pretty simple.
It's my choice.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:54 PM

468 posts, read 522,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
Was this in a southern state? People around here say pretty much interchangeably and with the same intent as 'have a nice day'. *shrug*
Yes, north FL.
We lived there for many years before relocating to IL and we want to move back.
So I am very familiar with the "Bible Belt". I heard "God Bless" on a daily basis, and was never once offended or uncomfortable.
I was just not expecting it from a realtor who had never met me in person and knew nothing about me.
As as former business owner, I *personally* would not refer to "God" in a conversation with a customer, even as a general greeting or farewell. Just not my thing, and I would not want to accidentally make anyone uncomfortable.
However....I have been reminded here that many people don't share the same philosophy as I do, so I will respect an individual's choice to say "God Bless" whenever they feel it's appropriate.
Bottom line is I didn't feel comfortable with this realtor, so I won't be using him.
Problem solved

Old 02-26-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
To you it's not a religion issue, to me, it is.
Live her faith but not on me.
I know lots of Indian people and they don't namaste me unless it's in a yoga class.

And I get to spend my money exactly where, and how, I want to.
People who use overt christian/religious greetings don't get it.
Pretty simple.
It's my choice.
Respectfully, I think you are the one not "getting it".

People who live their faith outloud don't care how you spend your money, or if their expression of faith causes you to avoid spending it at their place of business. They answer to a higher calling.

Yes, it's your choice to spend your money however you want, everyone respects that - what a concept

Old 02-26-2013, 01:44 PM

374 posts, read 701,780 times
Most of the time, it's nothing more than a sales pitch to help garner trust and confidence. Have lived in the deep south much of my Life....and it's very typical from auto sales,real estate, insurance....etc. They want to give off the warm fluffy bunny feel.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Respectfully, I think you are the one not "getting it".

People who live their faith outloud don't care how you spend your money, or if their expression of faith causes you to avoid spending it at their place of business. They answer to a higher calling.

Yes, it's your choice to spend your money however you want, everyone respects that - what a concept
Apparently you don't.
If I don't appreciate religious wishes, then I don't appreciate or want them.
Not a hard concept.
Perhaps you're not getting it.

I have no desire to argue with you about my perceptions.
It's the height of arrogance to argue my choices with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or