U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:48 AM

468 posts, read 521,872 times

Advertisements

I recently contacted a realtor in another state to assist my husband and I with our house hunt.
When our initial phone call ended he says: "Have a blessed day!"
Today I recieved an email and he ended it with "God Bless".
I consider myself to be extremely tolerant of an individuals religious beliefs, but I found this oddly offensive.
This realtor has good reviews and no obvious mention of strong religious aspects as far as his business goes.
I don't want to be unreasonably judgemental as far as my extreme dislike of having "God" shoved down my throat and my general distrust of organized religion in general. Many Christians are good, hardworking people that I'm friendly with (even if I don't share their beliefs).
However......I seem to have a problem with someone (especially in a business situation) automatically assuming that I care to be "blessed" by them.
I don't.
There are many other just as reputable realtors that I can contact, but I don't necessarily feel "right" about 'disqualifying' this one simply because he is (in my opinion) "flaunting" his religion.
Any thoughts?
Am I over reacting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 12:05 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,570,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
I recently contacted a realtor in another state to assist my husband and I with our house hunt.
I consider myself to be extremely tolerant of an individuals religious beliefs, but I found this oddly offensive.
This realtor has good reviews and no obvious mention of strong religious aspects as far as his business goes.
I don't want to be unreasonably judgemental as far as my extreme dislike of having "God" shoved down my throat and my general distrust of organized religion in general. Many Christians are good, hardworking people that I'm friendly with (even if I don't share their beliefs).
However......I seem to have a problem with someone (especially in a business situation) automatically assuming that I care to be "blessed" by them.
I don't.
There are many other just as reputable realtors that I can contact, but I don't necessarily feel "right" about 'disqualifying' this one simply because he is (in my opinion) "flaunting" his religion.
Any thoughts?
Am I over reacting?

In my opinion, you are overreacting.

He is not "flaunting his religion", he is simply living his FAITH and wishing you well, no harm intended

Old 02-25-2013, 12:08 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,883,048 times
Everytime you write back you could always use something different like.

May Vishnu bless you.

May Quetzalcoatl look favorably on you.

May Poseidon keep you safe.

May Yahweh yawn your way.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose.

Cheers,
Aeroman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfYFx6MOTYU

Last edited by Aeroman; 02-25-2013 at 12:17 PM..

Old 02-25-2013, 12:16 PM

5,223 posts, read 5,098,705 times
"Thanks for the blessing. I'll sacrifice a goat for you."

Old 02-25-2013, 12:17 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,570,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Everytime you write back you could allways use something different like.

May Vishnu bless you.

May Quetzalcoatl look favorably on you.

May Poseidon keep you safe.

May Yahweh yawn your way.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose.

Cheers,
Aeroman

Little Jimmy Dickens - May The Bird Of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose - YouTube

Keeping a sense of humor is always so important!

Your suggestions really made me laugh

Old 02-25-2013, 12:20 PM

132 posts, read 160,092 times
I am with the OP I think it's overboard when people say it to everyone I don't need to flaunt my atheism around after every conversation. So you can keep your blessings to yourself.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:37 PM

344 posts, read 340,132 times
Quote:
I don't.
Any thoughts?
Am I over reacting?
I would consider a brief sermon as an act of flaunting, not religious figures of speech. Personally, as an atheist I would not be offended. It is innocuous stuff.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the replies.
On one hand, I am not at all offended by someone wishing me a "Merry Christmas", but I tend to say "Happy Holidays", because it feels more 'inclusive' to me.
People who insist on declaring their Christianity in business situations tend to make me uncomfortable.
I've known too many (but by no means ALL) self-professed Christians who were ruthless business people and appeared to value money/success over eternal salvation, all the while 'God blessing' the people they were "using" to line their own pockets.
When this realtor knew nothing at all about me (other than the fact that I wanted to purchase a home), why would he automatically assume that I shared his beliefs?
It just seems odd.......

Old 02-25-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieGal View Post
I would consider a brief sermon as an act of flaunting, not religious figures of speech. Personally, as an atheist I would not be offended. It is innocuous stuff.

Oh, I'm not at all offended.
Just wondering if this is the right person to have a serious business relationship with.
Buying a house is a very big deal, and we will be doing this from out of state. A comfortable, trusting relationship is crucial.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:49 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,638,748 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm not at all offended.
Just wondering if this is the right person to have a serious business relationship with.
Buying a house is a very big deal, and we will be doing this from out of state. A comfortable, trusting relationship is crucial.
Yes, and someone wishing you well according to thier beliefs is a huge red flag.

I think that is a bit odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or