Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 01:52 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times

Advertisements

Good, maybe we won't sucuumb to a Christian Taliban if enough people wake up. The sentiments expressed by the four characters pictured at the beginning of the article should scare the life out of every American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 08:53 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
A causeless Big Bang flies in the face of several scientific laws. A caused atheistic model may work (but it accepts a certain framework that cannot outright exclude religion if one wants it).

Conservation of mass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thermodynamics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Newton's laws of motion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Specifically, (in reverse order)...

No matter, no energy, nothing but a giant mass of superdensity. How did this Big Bang start? It was an object at rest, with nothing acting on it.

(Scientists always like to act like the burden of proof isn't on them, but... your laws, you owe the explanation)

Again, you have to have a distinct means to heat stuff up. I'm not 100% whether the Big Bang is a sort of massive fission, or heat explosion (there's also something called the Heat Death of the Universe), but basically heat disperses through the path of least resistance unless acted on by energy. Notice a pattern?

A spontaneous event, like this, was a result of a very massive chemical reaction. It required force/energy to happen. What supplied the energy? Christians and basically any religion can come up with this answer, easy. Quick, quick, the clock is ticking. What supplied the energy?

Republicans aren't actually religious either, they just appeal to the (dumber) Bible-basher types.
In point of fact, things do not always have to be caused and the problem with the religious explanation is that they posit a God who has no cause, so why can't they posit a universe with no cause?

DeepAstronomy.com :: What Caused the Big Bang?

Quote:
The real problem with this question of what caused the big bang is ultimately a biological one; our brains have evolved to assume that everything has a cause, we can't imagine any event ever not having one.

But 100 years ago, we couldn't imagine that our galaxy was only one in an ocean of one hundred billion. 200 years ago, we couldn't imagine that the stars were more than 13,000 light years away. 500 years ago, we couldn't imagine that the Earth revolved around the Sun. If our past inquiries into the universe are any guide, the truth of the cosmos is always more than we have imagined.

The answer to the cause of the universe will almost certainly be something strange and, by definition, wholly beyond our experience. Our occluded brains must always be open the answer, especially when asking questions that push the limits of our capacity to understand.
Note: The creation of the Universe was not the big bang, that was simply the creation of matter from energy. Before the Bang, the singularity WAS the universe and since we don't know what happened before the singularity, we enter the realm of speculation.

Last edited by nana053; 05-28-2013 at 09:08 AM..

Old 05-29-2013, 11:21 PM

181 posts, read 607,323 times
I think the billboards are stupid. I like the televangelist billboard idea. Maybe even billboards with more inane scripture on them and showing the book, chapter and verse from which they came?

Or perhaps showing a politician, some quote about their belief system, and then the report of them not following through, or behaving in a hypocritical manner?

Technically, Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachman shouldn't even be working outside the home, or deeming to educate people who have penises according to the bible.

Unfortunately, even though I think that Rick Santorum is evil, I don't know that there has been evidence yet as to him being a religious hypocrite in the vein of Gingrich. I'd looooove to hear examples of how I'm wrong on this.

Seriously though, a simple quote from the bible or the koran and listing the source is enough to plant the seed of doubt.

Demonstrating the good and charitable works of atheists, listing the percentage of believers in a higher power who occupy the US prison systems...

Old 05-30-2013, 08:00 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,601,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Good, maybe we won't sucuumb to a Christian Taliban if enough people wake up. The sentiments expressed by the four characters pictured at the beginning of the article should scare the life out of every American.
Indeed! I can't believe we even have to talk about this, it's crazy in the first place. I can't believe I have to listen to the president of the United States praise a mythical being ever time I watch a speech or want to know what's going on in my country. I think it's crazy that we have to be Christian to run for office or it will be a hard sell.

They will get angry at a billboard?? Ha, try knowing that your atheist ass has no chance of being part of the process. That's something to get angry about. They can't keep it private or out of politics in a free country, that's their problem. Your God ends at your door step until you get on home. IMO.

I've really had it with the craziness of it all. I listen to our president, or congressmen/women and try to take them seriously knowing the whole time they believe in creationism and a mythical ruler of all. Why the hell are we worried about a few billboards again??? Why would we care??? The leaders of this country ultimately answer to a superman. George Bush had scripture pasted on tanks in the Iraq war. That's bizarro. IMO.

Come on people, the scariest part of those billboards is that they are true, they do believe they do their work for a super being dictator, one we should all follow in the end. I'm not making this crap up, which is really odd when you think about it. At least when I think about it. IMO, or course but really, come on.

I feel like a Christian would if a Scientologist was president and thanked aliens constantly. It's ridiculous. Same thing, I doubt they'd get use to it. It pales in comparison to driving by a few billboards in Texas. Trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism