U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 10:35 AM

1,765 posts, read 3,864,408 times

Advertisements

As an atheist, I don't hate any kind of religion.
People who have a religion don't understand that for an
atheist, there is NOTHING to hate. Period.
You want to worship a tree, go ahead. I could care less.
Some people worship dogwoods, others are into Maple trees,
and then there is the Pine tree, and so forth.
That is exactly what I think of religion.
I don't hate trees, and I don't hate people who worship
different trees, but don't bother me with your tree worshipping.
To each his own.
And don't pass State laws, like in North Carolina recently,
declaring that Christanity is the States religion.
To me it is like a state declaring that all people in that
state should worship a particular tree. It's stupid.
That law is going to be struck down, but come on people,
lets legislate on important stuff, like bringing jobs to states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 05:21 PM

939 posts, read 1,261,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post

You've come on the atheist sub thread to check in and let me know what you think of me, bash as you've put it. You've come on here to defend Christians for them, from me, when in fact they are the ones on the mission, not me.
I'm not coming in to bash you, unless you happen to be an atheist who thinks Christianity is the worst religion, philosophy, and idealogy in the world and whose mental energy is spent on attacking Christianity and the Bible instead of religion and theism in general. Someone in this thread challenged me by saying that I'm ignorant and that most atheists do campaign against fundamentalist Islam (which means every organized religious Muslim organization and community in the world, progressive movements have been attempted in the U.S. and Canada but have all failed to attract enough Muslims), and provide material and moral support for people worldwide who are suffering from religion-based patriarchy and oppression. I'm accepting this for the time being, that the atheists on Youtube and on Internet religious forums are not representative of atheists in real life.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:59 PM

14,375 posts, read 7,967,204 times
Originally Posted by steven_h
Atheists always jump on Christians saying, "boohoo poor Christians being attacked and persecuted" sarcastically as if it isn't happening. However, Christians are the ones who must take down religious displays, must not pray in public, can't carry a bible in schools... and on and on. The right to freedom of religion is being pushed into the closet while all the perverted and immoral are coming out of theirs.

At least, you got the precept of Budhism right. The rest is absolute nonsense and parroting the herd.

Didn't have to look far for a prime example. Funny how the smart ones (I'm sure you consider yourself quite) seem to be the most arrogant and ignorant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
NO one is saying that you have to take down your religious displays. Just keep them in your churches and your homes.
Nothing like saying you're free to have your religion as long as it's done in hiding. "It's okay to be gay as long as you keep it in your bedroom" ... Do you even see how hypoctritical you are?

Quote:
No one says that a Christian child cannot have his bible in school. He can pray at lunch. He can read the bible during study hall or during lunch. She just cannot read it in class nor can she pray in class when she is supposed to be learning. S/he also is not allowed to try to convert other kids in the public schools. The school officials cannot do public prayers since there are many people of differing religions in the schools.
Jews and Christians are being oppressed in public schools:
RELIGIOUS HARRASSMENT IN THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Kindergarten Kindergartner fights for Jesus poster for 10 years
Persecution of Christians on rise
Ohio Firing of Ohio public school science teacher who kept Bible on his desk was unconstitutional, his lawyers say - NY Daily News
Christian Persecution in Public Schools
NJ New Jersey substitute teacher says he was fired because he gave a student a Bible* - NY Daily News
The war on Christianity

John Dunphy, a noted secular humanist, wrote an essay entitled “A Religion for a New Age.” In this essay, he said that there is a battle going on for the future of humanity, and it must be fought and won in the public schools. He said that teachers should see themselves as evangelists of a new faith-humanism.

Quote:
Freedom of religion means that your religion is not allowed to take over.
Please tell me how religion is "taking over" other than extreme Islam. I'll bet you think conspiracy nuts are freaks, yet you sound just like them. Watch out, the Christians are coming to take over the world just like they did in 1095! While you're at it maybe we should wipe out the Jews too.

"Just keep them in your churches and your homes."

Maybe crosses and stars should be painted on homes and businesses?

Your paranoia is showing.

Last edited by steven_h; 05-03-2013 at 07:08 PM..

Old 05-03-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
As an atheist, I don't hate any kind of religion.
People who have a religion don't understand that for an
atheist, there is NOTHING to hate. Period.
You want to worship a tree, go ahead. I could care less.
Some people worship dogwoods, others are into Maple trees,
and then there is the Pine tree, and so forth.
That is exactly what I think of religion.
I don't hate trees, and I don't hate people who worship
different trees, but don't bother me with your tree worshipping.
To each his own.
And don't pass State laws, like in North Carolina recently,
declaring that Christanity is the States religion.
To me it is like a state declaring that all people in that
state should worship a particular tree. It's stupid.
That law is going to be struck down, but come on people,
lets legislate on important stuff, like bringing jobs to states.
Wow! I mean... WOW

With that said: how does a state legislate jobs?

Old 05-03-2013, 07:13 PM

25,740 posts, read 25,389,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

Nothing like saying you're free to have your religion as long as it's done in hiding. "It's okay to be gay as long as you keep it in your bedroom" ... Do you even see how hypoctritical you are?
It's not okay to perform gay or straight activities in public.

Yes, it's fine to do both or either in your own bedroom.

By the way, who said Christians have to put up their displays only "in hiding"? I don't see any atheists telling Christians they can't put up all the Christian paraphernalia they want in their front and back yards as long as these don't produce a fire hazard or a physical danger to others somehow. You're being a bit dramatic here.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:15 PM

25,740 posts, read 25,389,511 times
Quote:

Please tell me how religion is "taking over" other than extreme Islam.
Please show us how "extreme Islam" is taking over. Hey, didn't you just say something about paranoia?

Here: http://thinkprogress.org/security/20...ts-terrorists/

Last edited by JerZ; 05-03-2013 at 07:30 PM..

Old 05-03-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
It's not okay to perform gay or straight activities in public.

Yes, it's fine to do both or either in your own bedroom.

By the way, who said Christians have to put up their displays only "in hiding"? I don't see any atheists telling Christians they can't put up all the Christian paraphernalia they want in their front and back yards as long as these don't produce a fire hazard or a physical danger to others somehow. You're being a bit dramatic here.
Then you've never been to SF, have you?

The ability to completely ignore the point, and segway into deflection has always intrigued me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Please show us how "extreme Islam" is taking over. Hey, didn't you just say something about paranoia?
NO, please show me how Christianity and Judaism is taking over. Don't hijack my question with another question posing as an answer.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:29 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,361,441 times
Again, I do, indeed, hate Christianity more than other religions, primarily because it's much more pervasive in the US than Islam. I find Islam offensive as well, and indeed was discriminated against by a Muslim boss in the past, but you know what? There's no popular Muslim movement in the US that's actively trying to make everyone like them that has any influence or pull whatsoever, and thus the chances of any Muslims having any deigns on my rights are slim to nil.

However, there are billions of dollars behind the forces of evangelical Christianity, and these billions of dollars lead to politicians who try to influence the way our society functions so that it favors them above others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053
Freedom of religion means that your religion is not allowed to take over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h
Please tell me how religion is "taking over" other than extreme Islam.
See above.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:04 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,374,932 times
Default Back atcha!

Quote:
Atheists always jump on Christians saying, "boohoo poor Christians being attacked and persecuted" sarcastically as if it isn't happening. However, Christians are the ones who must take down religious displays, must not pray in public, can't carry a bible in schools... and on and on. The right to freedom of religion is being pushed into the closet while all the perverted and immoral are coming out of theirs.

Didn't have to look far for a prime example. (Selectively quote-mining my postFunny how the smart ones (I'm sure you consider yourself quite) seem to be the most arrogant and ignorant.
Grabbing at straws are we, stephen?? Typical. I left Christians alone for literally 35 years, after my own careful self-evaluation (I was a devout but mindless teenaged Christian, whose minister told me to not ask such "impertinent questions of Our Lord,!" and then stomped off! This participation on C-D openly resurfaced my mindset when I joined C-D in Sept of whatever it says here...

But uhmmm... why was that? Well, at first, I tried a whole bunch of times, but got the usual strident mouthsful from ardent Christian proselytizers. Yell me Christians are openly willing to discss teh various contradictions on their absolutist faith,

So then... OK, stephen? In fact, would you like to politely engage in an open, Roberts Rules of Order debate? (as in: you, in an orderly, preferably point-form position, state your thoughtful ands open-minded position. Then, I respond, then you, then me, then you, until, as is the outcome of ANY adjudicated debate, someone actually presents better points that the other side, who must then politely and publicly concede their losing positon.

Ready? I certainly am. Or, predictably, will you 1) ignore my request, as has ALWAYS been the case for years here on C-D, or even better, 2) will you be yet another one who will be roundly scolded (as a diversion..) by the "tail-between-the-legs" retreating acolyte, saying that "I'd be "too hard an opponent and would not behave well, so I'm going to leave this thread now! Nyah nyah Bye now!"

You want me to look up those types of answers and quote them up so you can perhaps happily show us how nice Christians here are, and then you could defend their retreatist, denialist, absolutist, anti-atheist, strident but also vastly scientifically illiterate positions? For me, that part would be easy, though, as has been more than well recorded here, it's hardly necessary: we puerile and nasty militant atheists have seen it all, nearly daily. You going to deny it?

Please: add your deflective response to that ever-growing list. Or agree to an open debate. Otherwise, just shush up! You can't defend your position, unlike me and mine.

Go ahead; make my day!

The Rifleman 5th Season Theme Song Opener - YouTube

(Btw, this is exactly, but metaphorically, what you'll see coming down the street to getcha! To wit: spiritual hoodwinkers and obtuse and noisy proselytizers beware. You will not be tolerated any more! someone's got to make this world a safer, less myopic place, and I've taken that job on.

You're welcome! )

Old 05-04-2013, 09:42 PM

124 posts, read 120,096 times
I dislike all religions equally.

I think it's sad that people are so weak that they feel the need to believe in some imaginary being to solve their problems. They don't and won't take responsibility for themselves in overcoming obstacles. Religion as a whole is brainwashing society. The thing I do dislike about christians is that they are constantly trying to convert everyone around them. They push their beliefs at you over and over until you just have to tell them to get the hell out of your face. I have never tried to influence anyone with my beliefs. What works for others is their business. This is what works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism