U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-24-2013, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,699 posts, read 8,502,639 times
Reputation: 4898

Advertisements

There have been many famous Atheists who have taken on Islam, namely Christopher Hitchens (who focused on it above and beyond Christianity), and Richard Dawkins, also an Englishman, and I think that may have to do with the strong presence of Islam as a religious force in Europe and its greater signifigance there. Certainly, I have more of a problem with Islam then I do with Christianity on the whole, but I don't have to live in America and experience the environment atheists there do. I also do occasionally criticize Hinduism because this is the religious tradition I was raised with, however to be perfectly honest with you Vedic religions are completely incomparable to Abrahamic religions and can not be viewed through the same vocabulary or tackled the same way. These are completely different thought systems that operate in completely different ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2013, 06:57 PM
 
278 posts, read 255,727 times
Reputation: 174
I don't hate any religion per se. I find religion, in particular organized religion, to be a mere nuisance. I don't take issue with the moderate believer, who keeps his happy delusions to himself and relies on his religion to get him through the day. It would take an especially heartless person to callously crush the hope of such a peaceful practitioner.
I do however hate religious zealotry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2013, 07:47 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,316 posts, read 19,591,548 times
Reputation: 13100
As an atheist, I don't hate Christianity or any other religion. I am 100% for freedom of religious belief.

I can also understand how for many people, religion is an important aspect of their lives both socially and spiritually. It's just that I personally don't believe in any religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2013, 01:41 AM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,087 posts, read 12,030,912 times
Reputation: 9717
As an atheist, I don't hate Christianity. I don't have a problem with the concept of God. I do have a problem with his fan club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2013, 03:38 PM
 
4,487 posts, read 4,373,129 times
Reputation: 4001
I don't hate any religion. I hate stupidity inherent within most religions. I know many religious people who look at their religion with common sense and compassion for others. They know what's parable and what is the byproduct of the time in history in which their religion was founded. They think for themselves and chose not to view all issues through the lens of religion. I have the utmost respect for religious people of this type and count a few as very close friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2013, 02:32 AM
 
7,802 posts, read 5,288,132 times
Reputation: 2973
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
I feel like it sure seems that way in North America at least.
We get this question a lot around here. Atheists do not subscribe to any religion. They resist many religions too. Clearly the majority of their efforts in this will be directed towards the larger religions wherever they may be.

So yes in a predominantly Christian area you will get the limited impression that atheists main beef is with Christianity. Remove the blinkers and look to Pakistan, India and so forth and you will see a different view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
But I wonder why it's uncommon for atheists to talk about how the Qu'ran is a rant of a madman or how Hinduism is a collection of fairy tales
Clearly again this is just your limited view point on the matter as I see many people doing just that. Whole websites are dedicated to unpacking the other texts and some of the better known writers on the Atheist circuit like Hitchens and Harris deal heavily with Islam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Why not fight for their rights?
We do. Often. Just because you know nothing about it does not mean it is not happening. Why only in the last few months Atheist Ireland, of whom I am a founding member, took under its protection a political exile from eastern countries. Meanwhile Christopher Hitchens when he was alive supported, and protected under his own roof with great risk to his own life, the writer Salmon Rushdie. He was also a great friend of Ayaan Hirsi Ali who writes extensively here in the west about the problems with Islam in the east.

Your entire post I am afraid seems written from a position of ignorance of the facts and an assumption that your ignorance of these things happening is equivalent to these things not actually happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Or is it simply because American atheists feel like they can achieve more in their own country by acting locally, where the people in power are mainly Christian?
As I said in the opening there is an element of that, yes. Atheists in America are likely to target their efforts locally just like atheists in Pakistan will. So yes most of what you will find will seem to be directed mainly against local American Christianity.

But that does not change the fact which you seem unaware of that many atheists work internationally in no small numbers and with no small amount of effort.

Many local atheists groups from states in the US to small countries like Ireland are also part of a greater global umbrella organisation called Atheist Alliance International. Perhaps direct your further research at them to see Atheists operating on a more global level. In fact Atheist Ireland are hosting an upcoming International conference on the well being and freedoms of Women all over the world. Perhaps that is exactly the kind of conference that will address your questions in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2013, 02:24 AM
 
Location: Texas
843 posts, read 1,379,605 times
Reputation: 491
Catholic church is even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2013, 03:03 AM
 
Location: Mille Fin
410 posts, read 516,600 times
Reputation: 471
Christianity is the most maddening to follow, in my opinion, because it has gone to such great lengths to ''professionalize'' a doctrine which is so obviously NOT in line with modern principles, science, governance, etc. Why not just present the religion for what it is? A personal philosophy.

Nope. The catholic church had to turn it in to a multi-billion dollar industry, with a classification system for priests, bishops, cardinals; with opulent churches and cathedrals; with political consultants and legal decrees.

Most pathetic are today's instrumental, pseudo-scientific attempts at legitimatizing christian doctrines; the likes of creationism, intelligent design and converting homosexuals... and they take these practices quite seriously, i.e. have written books on these subjects.

That they can have the gall to employ scientific methods in their efforts to contaminate public intellect is completely disgraceful. The problem is rational minds tend to be allergic to suppressing the beliefs of others; we went too easy on Christians when the earth was proven to be round; we went too easy on Christians when our human origins were finally understood. Now they think their viewpoints are actually part of the conversation. Christianity has nothing more to offer humanity and carries no weight outside of politics; if this were clearer to Christians they could invest their energies elsewhere than trying to prove the earth is 6,000 years old.

Science is for scientists. Psychology is for doctors. Law is for lawyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2013, 02:21 PM
 
9,412 posts, read 11,745,419 times
Reputation: 20226
I don't hate religion, I despise it. Hate is an emotional response, whereas to despise something is far more of an intellectual thing. I actually despise islam much more than christianity. Christianity is on its way out and packs far less of a punch than it used to. Islam however is a virus on humanity. It's a women hating boys club with followers who are extremely blind and unable to think for themselves in a way even worse than christianity in my opinion.

Every religion is about power and control of people which to my way of thinking is just wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2013, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
939 posts, read 1,263,221 times
Reputation: 760
First things first. I am well aware that atheism is the absence of a belief in God or gods, and therefore it does not favor or disapprove of one religion more than another, and that most supernatural belief systems would be considered equally as silly. However my beef is with the atheist community itself and how it seems like most anti-religious talk is against Christianity rather than other religions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post

But that does not change the fact which you seem unaware of that many atheists work internationally in no small numbers and with no small amount of effort.
I am well aware that there exist atheists who do work internationally who are not all obsessed with the evils of Christian fundamentalism. But I disagree with your statement that they do so "in no small numbers and with no small amount of effort". Perhaps you are right in that I am targeting atheists in historically Christian Western countries, however most agnostic atheists in the world seem to come from these areas because these are the areas that had the Enlightenment and have the highest levels of religious freedom and exposure to other world religions. Are you telling me that the general attitude of most agnostic atheists (NOT atheism, but atheists themselves) is as hostile toward non-Christian religions than toward Christianity itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top