Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:06 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I just wanted to say something about Science on this forum generally, sparked partly by Baystaters new thread and his very excellent point about life being a chemical process. Not to detract from this thread at all, but people (myself included) tend to use this atheism forum to post this sort of stuff when ultimately, it's really just about the science.
I don't know about anybody else but most of the time I don't really want to talk about atheism, or defending atheism with science - all I really want to talk about is the science.

But here are some of the problems with posting on the Science forum:
Any threads about the Universe or Cosmology or Evolution etc tend to get a bit lost amongst threads about printers or the latest GPS gadget. The Science forum doesn't get enough traffic or garner the same amount of interest in these kind topics. Take a look at the threads in the general science forum. You are lucky if you get maybe 6 people contributing to the thread. The Space sub-forum seems to get a bit more, but not by much.
What I'm asking is for people to maybe take the time to look in on the Science forum once in a while, if they don't already. All the interesting people seem to hang out on the atheist forum. There are a lot of people on here that write truly interesting stuff that I love to chat with. The problem with that, is it for obvious reasons, it also attracts the god believers (no offence). Once in a while I'd like to have a chat about the universe with like minded people without god constantly popping up in the discussion.
Actually I perfectly understand where you coming from. I actually had to bat around in my head whether or not to post the video here or not. Because the video is at the end of the day it's a "Science" video.
With that said. I decided to post it because I personally found the video "inspirational" (maybe others will not) as oppose to something that is just strait ahead lecture science. I think Dr. Cox and his production team did a great job in how they presented the information. Also Dr. Cox genuinely seem to show a sense of "wonder" at the mechanics of life. He definitely is the right guy for these types of documentaries/science series...where one is educating the general population. He keeps the documentary moving and doesn't bludgeoned you over the head with technical terms or acronyms, etc.

As for the science forum. I couldn't agree more people should check out the science forum more and maybe contribute more there . Though sometimes giving an answer can take alot of mental energy especially if your engaged in a argument with another poster about some issue. It can burn one out. And to be honest posters like me are not even close to being retirered.....so there is only so much time we have in the day to spend on any forum. Also let me say that while the science forum is an excellent place to get information but.....sometimes there is a lot of "geeking out" and speaking in technical terms. Or even worse......they do "Maths" and peoples eyes start to roll back into their heads perhaps leading them to a seizure. Granted I have seen this type of thing happen in the religion forum from time to time. Mostly happening with the atheists VS. the Deepak Chopra/Newagers crowds. Lastly would just like to say that the one thing that find in the atheism/religion forum as opposed to the science forum is there is in my opinion (only my opinion) more "flexible" with the threads in the atheism forum. In otherwords you don't just have to stay solidly in science realm the whole time with your answers, sometimes there a bit of history thrown in, or philosophy, sometimes you get a medical pov, etc. that adds to the tread and may lead to another perspective on the same subject of the discussion. Granted if your way off base the moderators will let you know. I think this "flexibility" allows for others that would otherwise not contribute...contribute.

But that just my 2 cents. Btw. glad you enjoyed the video. Love Dr. Cox and Jim al-khalili.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 08:06 PM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
Because I know that Mordant has it covered. Avoids redundancy.
Wow I didn't realise you could see into the future?
Quote:
It is my way of making the point, and you often don't seem to get it. Why is that?
Oh I do get it. We can all do sarcasm Grandstander, it's not that clever and most of the time just serves to derail the thread which frankly I just find a bit irritating when you do it..
Quote:
Go back to my first post...my original point...I'm suggesting that you go ahead and try whatever it is that you have in mind and cautioning you to be as specific and limiting as you can make it in order to avoid the derailments you are anticipating.
Instead of this thread about how difficult it is to do what you wish to do, start a thread with what you wish to do and hope for the best.
I appreciated your first point Grandstander, I very nearly gave you a rep because you imparted some useful info for once. You very nearly went up in my estimation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I think I'd win the best dressed atheist! Just FYI Maybe we could have an Miss atheist contest.
Yes but how would Grandstander look in a dress?

(see how easy it is?)

Old 03-18-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Great point. It seems like it would make sense it the Atheism sub forum was added to a Science one with other associated sub forums. If "Atheism" as a sub forum was truly apart from the Religion and Spirituality forum then time wasting bible thumper posts could just be deleted or moved since they would be off topic and definitely in the wrong forum.
Interesting idea. Hadn't thought about the idea of moving the whole sub forum. Actually atheism, as people repeat ad infinitum on here, has nothing to do with religion or spirituality but is about the absence of belief, (please lets not get into that realm again) so you have a point.

Last edited by Cruithne; 03-18-2013 at 08:39 PM..

Old 03-18-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Actually I perfectly understand where you coming from. I actually had to bat around in my head whether or not to post the video here or not. Because the video is at the end of the day it's a "Science" video.
With that said. I decided to post it because I personally found the video "inspirational" (maybe others will not) as oppose to something that is just strait ahead lecture science. I think Dr. Cox and his production team did a great job in how they presented the information. Also Dr. Cox genuinely seem to show a sense of "wonder" at the mechanics of life. He definitely is the right guy for these types of documentaries/science series...where one is educating the general population. He keeps the documentary moving and doesn't bludgeoned you over the head with technical terms or acronyms, etc.

As for the science forum. I couldn't agree more people should check out the science forum more and maybe contribute more there . Though sometimes giving an answer can take alot of mental energy especially if your engaged in a argument with another poster about some issue. It can burn one out. And to be honest posters like me are not even close to being retirered.....so there is only so much time we have in the day to spend on any forum. Also let me say that while the science forum is an excellent place to get information but.....sometimes there is a lot of "geeking out" and speaking in technical terms. Or even worse......they do "Maths" and peoples eyes start to roll back into their heads perhaps leading them to a seizure. Granted I have seen this type of thing happen in the religion forum from time to time. Mostly happening with the atheists VS. the Deepak Chopra/Newagers crowds. Lastly would just like to say that the one thing that find in the atheism/religion forum as opposed to the science forum is there is in my opinion (only my opinion) more "flexible" with the threads in the atheism forum. In otherwords you don't just have to stay solidly in science realm the whole time with your answers, sometimes there a bit of history thrown in, or philosophy, sometimes you get a medical pov, etc. that adds to the tread and may lead to another perspective on the same subject of the discussion. Granted if your way off base the moderators will let you know. I think this "flexibility" allows for others that would otherwise not contribute...contribute.

But that just my 2 cents. Btw. glad you enjoyed the video. Love Dr. Cox and Jim al-khalili.
Great post. "geeking out and speaking in technical terms. Or even worse......they do "Maths" and peoples eyes start to roll back into their heads perhaps leading them to a seizure.". That's funny. My husband is a maths geek and does that to me all the time. Also reminds me of him trying to explain quadratic equations to my seven year old.

You make good points. Nevertheless, I'm going to start posting more in the science forum - even if there is nobody listening or people start bludgeoning me over the head

I love Jim Al-Khalili too.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:44 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Quote:
Great post. "geeking out and speaking in technical terms. Or even worse......they do "Maths" and peoples eyes start to roll back into their heads perhaps leading them to a seizure.". That's funny. My husband is a maths geek and does that to me all the time. Also reminds me of him trying to explain quadratic equations to my seven year old.

You make good points. Nevertheless, I'm going to start posting more in the science forum - even if there is nobody listening or people start bludgeoning me over the head

I love Jim Al-Khalili too.
I wish you the best in your endeavor.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:13 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
[quote=Cruithne;28728643]
Quote:
We can all do sarcasm Grandstander,

Your second statement disproves your first.

Rather than concerning yourself with my personality, why don't you tell us what the topic is that you wish to discuss without the intrusion of spiritual beliefs? It would be helpful in answering the question you pose in this thread...."Why can't this be done?" if we had a specific idea of what the "this" is. Once this is known, I might be able to help you in crafting an introduction to the topic which discourages the sorts of intrusions you fear.

Last edited by Grandstander; 03-19-2013 at 07:29 AM..

Old 03-19-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Your second statement disproves your first.
I see, so sarcasm is only acceptable when you do it, not when it's directed at you. Thought as much.

Quote:
Rather than concerning yourself with my personality, why don't you tell us what the topic is that you wish to discuss without the intrusion of spiritual beliefs? It would be helpful in answering the question you pose in this thread...."Why can't this be done?" if we had a specific idea of what the "this" is. Once this is known, I might be able to help you in crafting an introduction to the topic which discourages the sorts of intrusions you fear.
Grandstander I really don't know what it is you are not getting. Do I really have to spell it out for a fourth time? It's really very, very simple:
The topic I'm discussing is set out in post #No1: ie if people want to discuss science related topics, very commonly discussed in the atheism forum, I'm simply encouraging them to come and discuss it in the science forum instead, as currently the science forum can be a bit of a ghost town when it comes to this kind of stuff, and could use a bit of lively debate. Plus it may be possible (optimistically) to discuss said issues without getting sidetracked with god issues.

Examples of topics would be as previously stated, such things as: origins of life, humanity in general, Evolution, The Big Bang, Genetics, Epigenetics, Physics, Particle Physics, Cosmology.
You usefully suggested that if people were more comfortable discussing said topics on the atheist forum, instead of the science forum, they should be quite specific in the beginning about not bringing god into the matter. I wish you had quit while you were ahead.

Mordant got it, Baystater got it and Cacto liked it so much, he's started a new thread about moving the atheism subforum. Baystater gave us a perfect example about questioning where to put his thread. Here's the thread he was referring to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Just finished watching..
Everybody gave very useful contributions and made very good points as to why they prefer to post here instead of there.

Sorry, but life is too short to repeat myself over and over, so please excuse me if you ask me the same question again if I ignore it.
Please refer to this post for your answers.
Thank you.

Last edited by Cruithne; 03-19-2013 at 10:35 AM..

Old 03-19-2013, 10:35 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:

Sorry, but life is too short to repeat myself over and over, so please excuse me if you ask me the same question again if I ignore it. Please refer to this post for your answers.
Thank you.
If you would read more carefully you would be aware that I did not ask what types of topics you have in mind, I asked for the specific thread topic which you wished to start and said that I could offer you specific advice on how it could be handled.

You are so focused on personalities, so focused on somehow or other "defeating" me, that you aren't reading what I write, rather you are responding to what you assume would be the type of thing someone like me would write.

You create your own problems, complain about them, and then try and blame me. Somehow your life isn't too short for you to waste your time in that manner.

Now....do you wish to reveal this topic, or just gripe about me?

Old 03-19-2013, 10:38 AM

I don't have a specific topic. I gave examples of a range of topics. No hidden agenda. That's it. What's so difficult?

Old 03-19-2013, 07:49 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Wow I didn't realise you could see into the future?
Oh I do get it. We can all do sarcasm Grandstander, it's not that clever and most of the time just serves to derail the thread which frankly I just find a bit irritating when you do it..
I appreciated your first point Grandstander, I very nearly gave you a rep because you imparted some useful info for once. You very nearly went up in my estimation.

(see how easy it is?)

Yes, and didn't you enjoy it just a teenie weenie bit?
I'll try to remember when it comes to your threads to cut out my sarcastic twist of a humor and stick to the topic. Sorry to offend. It takes time to realize, when in type, what kind of personality one has. I think I've got it now.

About the sub-forum move : I think it's a great idea. But it's not up to us, there is a higher power on cd. I'm not being sarcastic either. We just obey it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism