Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 06:19 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,695,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Hey all, I browse all the time, especially to read Riflman's stuff Anyhoo, not much ruffles my feathers as a life long atheist, but for some reason, this quote posted on a family's facebook page is sending me over the edge:

"When you put the wrong activities ahead of God, you can't expect God to continue blessing your life. You didn't put Him first, so why should He put you first? Something to ponder...."

I don't know what about this quote is sending me straight to bonkers land. Maybe because it feels like some sort of veiled accusation or guilt trip? Maybe because it seems like a complete distortion of what I believed the "Christian" concept touted? Maybe because it's almost like creating a loophole in which to judge others, but hide behind "God" at he same time?

I don't know, I just feel icky now and need a nap, salut!
That is why I'm not a Christian all that crap rubs me wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 06:29 PM

472 posts, read 570,425 times
I'm atheist, yet these things can really tick me off sometimes. It's because I remember the many times someone said something like that to me, to try to control me and make me feel inferior.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:38 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
That quote bugs me too. It seems to be saying that if things go wrong in your life, it's because you didn't put God first. (Put him first how, by the way? What the hell does that even mean?)

So...it sounds like starving or abused/neglected/kicked/raped children or children with cancer or who got AIDS via blood transfusion or whose parents died and are now orphans, deserved it because they "didn't put God first" in some totally vague, unspecified way. I hate this sort of idea, it disgusts me.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:18 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
That quote bugs me too. It seems to be saying that if things go wrong in your life, it's because you didn't put God first. (Put him first how, by the way? What the hell does that even mean?)

So...it sounds like starving or abused/neglected/kicked/raped children or children with cancer or who got AIDS via blood transfusion or whose parents died and are now orphans, deserved it because they "didn't put God first" in some totally vague, unspecified way. I hate this sort of idea, it disgusts me.
How about all the people who for some reason didn't go to work or make it to work at the WTC on 9/11 and they claim therefore that god miraculously saved them. They should be slapped (hard) by each and every survivor of each and every victim who was NOT miraculously saved.

Or, some terrible accident happens, say a school bus goes over a cliff, 30 kids die and one survives. This will inevitably be called a "miracle child".

This is the flip side of "your life is bad because you didn't put god first / have a secret sin / don't have enough faith / need testing": "My life went good, watch me pat myself on the back because God took care of me, neener-neener." Of course it's not necessarily (or even usually) meant in a gloating way, but I don't understand the hubris that prevents people from stopping to think what sort of verbal vomit they are spewing all over less fortunate persons around them.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:27 PM

472 posts, read 570,425 times
The moral police are superior to us!

Old 04-17-2013, 11:18 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
It's even worse when they put good old Karma into it, some believe in that as if it's a deity. And it's just silly to believe everything that happens to you is deserved! People who have had really horrible things happen, are not amused at someone saying it's due to karma!
Just like I was not amused at being told if I had kept jesus into my life, my son would not have killed himself.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:31 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
It's even worse when they put good old Karma into it, some believe in that as if it's a deity. And it's just silly to believe everything that happens to you is deserved! People who have had really horrible things happen, are not amused at someone saying it's due to karma!
Just like I was not amused at being told if I had kept jesus into my life, my son would not have killed himself.
Maggie, were you really told that? That is sick. Just truly sick.

I am so very sorry not only for the loss of your son but for the azzwholes you had to deal with afterward. It takes a very, very twisted mind to even hint of such a thing to a grieving parent.

That's an example of this god? Leave me out of it.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:00 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
Yes, I'll never forget it! It was someone at a temp agency, I called to see if there were any jobs available..I'd known this lady from getting assignments there before. Good thing it was over the phone and I just hung up..I thought of plenty to say afterwards but at the time I just went into some type shock and hung up.."How dare she", I remember thinking!! And she calls herself a Christian??? I fully realize people can't find the right words to say but how does anyone think those are fit to use in such an event??
She didn't have to say anything about my son, I called about work.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:56 AM

522 posts, read 622,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
"You didn't put Him first, so why should He put you first?"
I might have thought this would be the part that could bother. That, going by some atheists I've known, you'd feel it says God needs constant attention and if he doesn't get it he'll just snub you. Or that it sounds too transactional. The relationship to God is about what you can get out of it.

But now that I'm on Facebook I'd have to say much of these things you see are just cliches. (Religious or irreligious cliches) Even if they say "something to ponder" they're not necessarily something they really want analyzed. It's possibly just a groping way to say a person should do right and pay attention to the Truth or what really matter.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:52 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAJR View Post
I might have thought this would be the part that could bother. That, going by some atheists I've known, you'd feel it says God needs constant attention and if he doesn't get it he'll just snub you. Or that it sounds too transactional. The relationship to God is about what you can get out of it.
I always turn it around: "I put him first, so why didn't he give me the time of day when I really needed him?"

Of course, no theist will believe that is even possible. I can tell them I was a believer for thirty years, prayed & studied my Bible every day, attended church 3x a week, taught Sunday School, played piano and organ in church and in jail services, attended a Bible Institute -- in short, I was a more involved and better trained layperson than the vast majority, and probably than the person I'm talking to -- and it still doesn't compute. I must be making it up. Just isn't possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism