U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-18-2013, 08:42 PM
 
741 posts, read 1,069,045 times
Reputation: 1214

Advertisements

Hey all, I browse all the time, especially to read Riflman's stuff Anyhoo, not much ruffles my feathers as a life long atheist, but for some reason, this quote posted on a family's facebook page is sending me over the edge:


"When you put the wrong activities ahead of God, you can't expect God to continue blessing your life. You didn't put Him first, so why should He put you first? Something to ponder...."

I don't know what about this quote is sending me straight to bonkers land. Maybe because it feels like some sort of veiled accusation or guilt trip? Maybe because it seems like a complete distortion of what I believed the "Christian" concept touted? Maybe because it's almost like creating a loophole in which to judge others, but hide behind "God" at he same time?

I don't know, I just feel icky now and need a nap, salut!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2013, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Sitting beside Walden Pond
4,609 posts, read 4,119,144 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
"When you put the wrong activities ahead of God, you can't expect God to continue blessing your life. You didn't put Him first, so why should He put you first?
As a lifelong Atheist, that quote does not bother me at all.

I think some people have a hard time dealing with life and often find themselves doing things they know are wrong, but they just cannot stop doing them. Like drinking too much.

They like a religion that gives them rules to live by and provides a personal assistant, like Jesus, to help them deal with life's challenges.

To me, the quote is telling people that if they ignore the rules given by their god or ignore the advice given by Jesus, they should not expect their god to bail them out.

As a matter of fact, I really like the quote. If you do the crime, you gotta do the time. Good message of personal responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 09:21 PM
 
741 posts, read 1,069,045 times
Reputation: 1214
Yes, yes, maybe I should look at it as a message of personal responsibility. I kept reading it as "My God is too Good for You"

Why should I even care, I'm an atheist! I must have a huge ego, apparently I demand that even imaginary Gods like me, LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Sitting beside Walden Pond
4,609 posts, read 4,119,144 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Yes, yes, maybe I should look at it as a message of personal responsibility. I kept reading it as "My God is too Good for You"

Why should I even care, I'm an atheist! I must have a huge ego, apparently I demand that even imaginary Gods like me, LOL!
No problem, Time.

Getting upset over things that don't matter is one of the pleasures of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
6,715 posts, read 12,284,675 times
Reputation: 4279
When I first read the quote, my impression of it was that it was of the same specimen of "We took God out of schools so we shouldn't be surprised when school shootings happen. We asked him not to be there in the first place!"

Personally, I find them all to be a little disgusting as they have this latent arrogance laced in to them. It kind of leaves the door open for someone to shove more God down your throat whenever things go bad. "Whole family got cancer? Oh, well, you needed to put God first." Rather than offer empathy and support to someone it just seems like a method for giving the excuse to do exactly not that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 10:18 PM
 
39,242 posts, read 10,913,531 times
Reputation: 5101
Just the familiar 'witch-doctor' con -trick. If you can fool the people into giving you credit for predicting misfortune or getting you some good, you can live off them the rest of your life.

My life has had it ups and downs and never did it look like it was anything to do with a god, so apart from noting the crummy hucksterism of the message,it doesn't bother me at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 01:30 AM
 
Location: Ostend,Belgium....
8,820 posts, read 6,371,468 times
Reputation: 4886
it's a typical religious message. Always putting blame on the wrong thing or person. If you have terrible things happen, if Your house burns down, it's all your fault, you should have prayed harder..It's not because you made a bad choice in life or because bad things just happen..It's all to do with not putting the god on his pedestal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 01:34 AM
 
12,540 posts, read 12,548,495 times
Reputation: 28901
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Hey all, I browse all the time, especially to read Riflman's stuff Anyhoo, not much ruffles my feathers as a life long atheist, but for some reason, this quote posted on a family's facebook page is sending me over the edge:


"When you put the wrong activities ahead of God, you can't expect God to continue blessing your life. You didn't put Him first, so why should He put you first? Something to ponder...."

I don't know what about this quote is sending me straight to bonkers land. Maybe because it feels like some sort of veiled accusation or guilt trip? Maybe because it seems like a complete distortion of what I believed the "Christian" concept touted? Maybe because it's almost like creating a loophole in which to judge others, but hide behind "God" at he same time?

I don't know, I just feel icky now and need a nap, salut!
What irritates me about it is the combined stupidity and arrogance of this person believing that he/she knows what's in his/her deity's head. The bonus is that the person is Christian: That's not how Christianity works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 04:14 AM
 
39,242 posts, read 10,913,531 times
Reputation: 5101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
What irritates me about it is the combined stupidity and arrogance of this person believing that he/she knows what's in his/her deity's head. The bonus is that the person is Christian: That's not how Christianity works.
Ah yes! The increasing conviction I have that ..well, we know that man creates god in his own image and re-creates him (the rule is 'he is lower case') when necessary, but, as you say, the intentions, desires,views and likes and dislikes of this god are so remarkably the same as the person arguing on behalf of his god that I have to believe that they are arguing for themselves and their own beliefs, raised to divine authority level. That is why we get people here telling us what God wants or likes or will do in certain circumstances. Surely they are doing their own reasoning (theology on the hoof, often as not) and projecting it onto God. This is also the 'rewriting the Bible' thing; if it doesn't agree with what the apologist is arguing, then it must be translated, interpreted or even rewritten to agree with their theories.

This amazes and fascinates me as this 'telling God what to do' and fiddling with scripture is something I wouldn't presume to do, and I am not a believer in God or Bible. Thus I do begin to believe that the sort of apologist we get here is identifying God with himself and doing God's will is more saying that God will do his will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 05:33 AM
 
Location: Ostend,Belgium....
8,820 posts, read 6,371,468 times
Reputation: 4886
funny how they play god..a great role if you think of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top