U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 12:08 PM

1,988 posts, read 4,633,288 times

Advertisements

OP, I can't tell if you're just venting to other like-minded people or if you really think that none of us here know what an agnostic atheist is or that none of us here live in the bible belt.
I do live in the bible belt, and don't go out of my way to hide my (lack of) beliefs. People don't give me a hard time, and I don't give them a hard time. They know not to bother inviting me to their church stuff, and I know not to invite them to do things on a Sunday mornings. Maybe I've just been lucky or maybe it's because I tend to gravitate toward people who have a life beyond their beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 01:06 PM

10,691 posts, read 11,695,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
I mean, do you really? Everyone on fb thinks I've lost my mind, and I've turned into something that needs to be feared. So I finally met someone like me in this here buy bull belt, but he was over 20 years younger and toothless. What does that mean? What does that say about me? But I swear, that's the first and only experience talking to someone who believes like I do. Other than the damn internet.

Not that I'm looking for advice or anything but you people don't have a clue what it's like to be an agnostic atheist in the bible belt. Yes it's a thing, look it up. Do you know of the ignorance, the blind faith and the ingrained **** that is what i got to deal with? So you go on talking about the science sematics of it all and all it boils down to is who can prove what. NO one can prove ****, and that's all there is to say about that.
You people are so miserable and sad.........nobody's bothering you. Yet you spend all your time chasing down what you think are myths and trying to disprove them....Go buy a milkshake or something. Go look at some fluffy clouds......

Old 03-23-2013, 01:20 PM

40,961 posts, read 18,569,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
You people are so miserable and sad.........nobody's bothering you. Yet you spend all your time chasing down what you think are myths and trying to disprove them....Go buy a milkshake or something. Go look at some fluffy clouds......
And another display of that famous Christian tolerance.

Quote:
you spend all your time chasing down what you think are myths and trying to disprove them
You would like to believe that this is true, wouldn't you? To the best of my recollection I have invested zero hours chasing down myths and trying to disprove them. To not believe in a book full of incidents where natural law keeps getting suspended on behalf of a favored group requires no pursuit of the specifics, it simply requires sufficient intelligence to distinguish myth from fact.

As an example, I do not believe in the Cyclops from "The Odyssey" and it has never dawned on me that I needed to do anything at all to disprove it.

Do you think the Cyclops was real? Do you watch "The Wizard of Oz" and assume that its veracity is the default position?

Old 03-23-2013, 02:42 PM

30,883 posts, read 31,765,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I was the only atheist in my Catholic high school, wasn't the Bible Belt but I'm certainly familiar with being surrounded by a majority who thought that there was something seriously wrong with me. I identified strongly with the boy who points out that the emperor actually isn't wearing any clothes.
Been there done that...Catechism was so painful!

Old 03-23-2013, 07:47 PM

8,398 posts, read 9,889,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Thanks so much for visiting the thread and proving my point. It only adds credence to the discussion when somebody runs through and moons us.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:46 PM

4,349 posts, read 2,976,604 times
Quote:
I mean, do you really? Everyone on fb thinks I've lost my mind, and I've turned into something that needs to be feared. So I finally met someone like me in this here buy bull belt, but he was over 20 years younger and toothless. What does that mean? What does that say about me? But I swear, that's the first and only experience talking to someone who believes like I do. Other than the damn internet.

Not that I'm looking for advice or anything but you people don't have a clue what it's like to be an agnostic atheist in the bible belt. Yes it's a thing, look it up. Do you know of the ignorance, the blind faith and the ingrained **** that is what i got to deal with? So you go on talking about the science sematics of it all and all it boils down to is who can prove what. NO one can prove ****, and that's all there is to say about that.
I've never been religious. I've lived in areas where people were deeply religious, but never in areas where it was more than a personal matter. People almost never talked about it. In Boy Scouts, the idea of someone getting booted out due to being agnostic would have been a very foreign, and baffling concept.

I routinely cannot relate to the experiences of either post-religious atheist/agnostics or atheists/agnostics who have experienced oppression. I take a lot of people's word for it. Gotta love St. Louis County, MO.

We were probably not the ones who voted for Todd Akin.

Last edited by Clintone; 03-23-2013 at 08:55 PM..

Old 03-23-2013, 11:26 PM

17,249 posts, read 19,545,740 times
Quote:
Not that I'm looking for advice or anything but you people don't have a clue what it's like to be an agnostic atheist in the bible belt.
I can only imagine how it must be like for you living there. I would not want to live in a place that is so behind the curve in thinking - to put it bluntly.

I live in a Maryland suburb of Washington, D.C. In this area, there are churches, temples, synagogues, mosques, etc. However, it's pretty liberal and nobody really asks or cares about what religion you are or even if you belong to any religion. It's considered a private matter and that's what I like about it.

If you're atheist or agnostic, then I suggest that you should consider leaving the Bible Belt or, if you stay there, then move to a large metropolitan area where the influence of religion isn't as strong.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:23 AM

3,574 posts, read 4,173,095 times
OP: move to a coast and watch how much happier you'll become. Better money too.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:30 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,364,683 times
And for the record, I lived in Jacksonville, Florida..not exactly a small town but it has that small town feel when it comes to that old time religion... Even the worst druggies and deadbeats know god and love him and have a bible they read or try to read. I never met anyone who acted like an atheist or admitted to it all through the 5 years that I lived there.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:58 AM
bUU

11,881 posts, read 8,661,852 times
I'm not an Atheist - I'm a UU - I surely wouldn't fit in in the Bible belt. I greatly admire the determination of my brothers and sisters in faith who worship our religion in such areas. It is relatively easy practicing a rational religion in the Northeast, by comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism