U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 11:00 AM

15,087 posts, read 12,024,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Think you all have problems? Try being black in the south and NOT being a god believer. See how well that goes over with grandma.
Ouch!
I work with a lot of people from the Caribbean. There's always some kind of praying and Hallelujah-ing going on. I never discuss my atheism with them. I know I'll be ostracized. No more pot-lucks for me, and I love Carribbean food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 12:19 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,911,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Ouch!
I work with a lot of people from the Caribbean. There's always some kind of praying and Hallelujah-ing going on. I never discuss my atheism with them. I know I'll be ostracized. No more pot-lucks for me, and I love Carribbean food.
LOL...yeah, they'll keep that jerk chicken away from you.

Yes, religion, notably the Christian religion is deeply entrenched in our society down there.

I started this thread way back when under a former username, but it lived on for quite some time. Says a lot:

How many black atheists/agnostics do you know?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:31 PM

I only know one black atheist (who will admit to it, anyway), and he was born in Montreal. I suspect there are more, but they don't want to say anything in order to keep the familial peace.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I only know one black atheist (who will admit to it, anyway), and he was born in Montreal. I suspect there are more, but they don't want to say anything in order to keep the familial peace.
Very much. Here's the kicker! I really don't give two shishkabobs what anyone thinks about my atheism, but I generally keep it to myself. Now if it somehow comes out that I am, before I could even say a word in my defense, it's the Christians who start shooting me down with:

1. "Well, you were never a true Christian, anyway."

2. "You are just angry at god!"

3. "You just didn't have enough faith."

4. "You just wanted to party and chase women"

4. "You are just ungrateful."

In other words, I NEVER go on the offensive. I get abused just for not believing (anymore).

Old 03-25-2013, 04:00 PM

Lol! You missed one.
"Don't you know you'll be going to hell, to burn in a lake of fire for all eternity?"

Old 03-25-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Lol! You missed one.
"Don't you know you'll be going to hell, to burn in a lake of fire for all eternity?"

Yup, that one too even if they say it subliminally. lol

Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 PM

278 posts, read 255,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Think you all have problems? Try being black in the south and NOT being a god believer. See how well that goes over with grandma. In my case, trying being an atheist anything in the Caribbean where I am from? Heck, my mother gave me a tongue wagging some time last year after word got to her that I am on Facebook mocking god. I could not a word in edge wise. All she heard was "but InsaneInDaMembrane was such a sweet boy in the church. Whatever happened to him?" My mother claims she was highly embarrassed that I, of all people, a young man that rose to heights in the church, was actually daring to proclaim to the world he does not believe in the god who wakes him up each morning.

On one pre-Facebook social network site, I was told by a Jamaican that it would have been better I was gay than an atheist. That should tell you something. I also had a cousin tell me that "only white people believe in evolution." Yeah, you get the picture. As a result and in push back fashion, groups like these are emerging in the black community but it is NOT easy.

Black Atheists of America, dedicated to bridging the gap between Atheism and the Black community

God bless you, man! Seriously, I bet it would be even more difficult in your situation.
I have a co-worker who is black and we have cussed and discussed the merits of theism/atheism. He seems to be stuck on the notion that evolution "is just a theory" and proceeds to build his entire argument on that foundation. I asked him once, "Why don't you read about science and evolution and try to understand what it's really about?" His response, science "does nothing for me." Than proceeded to say that I'm not giving religion a chance and I should read the bible... go figure!
Also, have a black man as a supervisor (I work at the Post Office, okay?) who says we non-believers can not prove science and that he can prove religion is true...
I feel for ya, brother-in-arms.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
His response, science "does nothing for me."
So when he gets sick, does he go to the doctor or does he just pray and hope for the best?

Old 03-25-2013, 11:40 PM

278 posts, read 255,604 times
Quote:
So when he gets sick, does he go to the doctor or does he just pray and hope for the best?
Exactly! That is my exact argument when I tell a Christian that he/she actually has more faith in science than they do their deity. Somehow, they don't usually make the connection that medicine is science.
On another note, isn't it funny how Christians pick and choose what sciences they believe in? The same scientific method that put probes on Mars, treats disease, permits cell phone usage, designs bifocals, allows for radio and television broadcasts, splits atoms, et al ..... is the same methodology that proves evolution and the big bang over and over again!

Old 03-26-2013, 05:46 AM

Guys, the crazy thing is, there are quite a few black folks who ARE atheists, but coming out, no matter the geography, is tough. You just get the impression that black folks and church go hand in hand - end of story! There are also tons of very intelligent black atheists; Neil deGrsse Tyson for one. I don't think our numbers are small either, but it's just that many keep it under wraps to avoid alienation or breaking grandma's heart. Things are changing though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism