U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 02:51 PM

590 posts, read 664,907 times

Advertisements

I went to church with my parents. When the congregation reads the apostle's creed, I always enjoy how it sounds like the Borg speaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 09:40 PM

8,398 posts, read 9,905,494 times
I woke up, boiled eggs and ate them in memory of that adorable easter bun bun. Went out to my organic garden and tended my plant pups in my most hippiest of dresses with all my tattoos showing as it guarantees my neighbors won't invite me to church. In the afternoon I watched "Rise of the Guardian" with my kids, chilaxed and played massive amounts of video games, kicked butt on Wii International. Oh, and on a side note; I feel sorry for the Boogie Man, they should of ended it with giving him a holiday. I thought Halloween would've been nice and my kids agreed. He only wanted to be loved by the children.

Then I snuggled down for bed with one of my ongoing Korean dramas. Ah, it was a great day!

Old 04-02-2013, 11:11 PM

6,879 posts, read 3,799,289 times
I got up at some ridiculously early hour to hide eggs in the garden for my kids to have their annual egg hunt. Then basically spent the day entertaining them and all the neighbourhood kids as well at my house. The girls all made paper flowers and the boys played basketball outside, while intermittently rampaging around the house.
Actually I felt a bit sad that this is the first year I didn't take them to church at Easter. This may sound a bit funny coming from an atheist but even though I don't believe in god, that doesnt mean I dont like some of the nicer traditions that come with Christianity, and I've always thought of it as a sort of history lesson of human belief. I actually did mean to take them but the entertaining sort of took over and it never happened.
(Just as an aside, the charm I still feel for some if the nicer traditions of the church - for people who don't know - is a feature that I share with old Dawkins who also still enjoys a Christmas Carol sing-song or two. - I'm beginning to suspect that British atheists are a whole different breed from American ones.)
Arequipa being a fellow Brit might understand what I'm saying here. Even though the UK is a far more heathen (atheist) country than the US, Easter is much bigger deal over there 'holiday' wise. There is always a 4 day public holiday starting Good Friday and going over to Easter Monday. Schools all co-ordinate a two week break to tie in with the holiday. The supermarkets are literally piled high with giant chocolate Easter eggs - aisles and aisles of it weeks beforehand - not like the piddly corner section you get at Target here. It tends to be one of those family holidays and I must admit to missing all that. So I felt a bit sad. I also think its a little hypocritical to do any Easter related stuff without my kids having at least an idea where the tradition came from (yes yes I know its a Pagan festival too and all that).
I was also thoroughly preoccupied working through the puzzle of the shroud in my head so I guess at least that was appropriate for the day. I thought about it all weekend in fact.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:25 AM

39,257 posts, read 10,922,331 times
I think you are right. While I went through a period of excising anything religious from Christmas activities, I don't mind anymore - though I do draw the line at going to carol - singings, even though I do like some of them. And I love Renaissance Christmas music - Susato or Praetorius.

I suspect that it is because Christian religion is of a different order in the US than it is here in the mostly secular ol' Limeyland. No wonder those who give it up react so badly. I'm angry, underneath, at this tosh which is being perpetrated on us. Random Factors only knows how our colonial cousins feel about it.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-03-2013 at 06:43 AM..

Old 04-03-2013, 07:06 AM

741 posts, read 1,069,202 times
Woke up, cried internal tears at the snow on the lawn, pondered taking a blow torch to the snow on the lawn. Baby woke up, dressed her in a jaunty white dress with cute headband. Spent time taking pictures of her holding eggs, standing on her tip toes looking outside etc. My husband came running into the house screaming "The daffodils are one inch tall". Yes, we are deperate for spring.
Went to my crazy parents house, sat through awkward prayer. Ate canned ham. Found myself listening to my brother screaming that "poor people don't deserve health care because they are lazy", then listened to him try and bum $20 off my Dad for another ten minutes.
Listened to my mom rant on about how Gays shouldn't marry if they can't "Do Sexual Reproduction". Stated that she and my father should get divorced immediatly now that they can't reproduce. She was miffed.
Came home, more baby playing, then watched DVR with the hubs.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:01 AM

3,571 posts, read 6,189,965 times
Went to my mothers for breakfast then husbands parents for dinner. Both of whom are religious. The holiday means nothing to myself and hubby other than family time. They did their prayer and such and we took our daughter outside to play while they did...

Old 04-03-2013, 10:20 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,120,731 times
On Easterbunny Sunday my wife and I had some guests at our house and we ate a fairly traditional dinner with ham, etc. We didn't talk to our food (when I was a kid, I remember my cousin, who was not much for praying at meals, once asking: "Do we have to talk to our food first? Or can we just start eating?"), but in my heart I am always grateful for the opportunity to live and enjoy a nice meal, and when I can remember to do it, I sorta like the supposed Native American tradition of thanking the plants and animals who died so that we could eat. (Not because I think they really care, but because I care.)

Old 04-03-2013, 08:36 PM

1,769 posts, read 3,873,434 times
Slept in. Nice and long. I love Sunday.
Got up and made coffee, then took my dogs for a nice looong
quiet walk. Oh the bliss! Everyone was at church!
I had the neighborhood to myself! LOL!
Oh, by the afternoon though, everyone was back home,
cooking inside their kitchens, the ham of course!
Not me!
I fired up the BBQ and got that chicken cooking!
Had a nice dinner after some gardening, and of course
had to get ready for the premiere of one of my favorite shows!
Yes! Game of Thrones!
It was awesome!
Had a nice Easter down here in the deep south, in the "Land of God",

Old 04-03-2013, 11:29 PM

40,182 posts, read 26,806,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
On Easterbunny Sunday my wife and I had some guests at our house and we ate a fairly traditional dinner with ham, etc. We didn't talk to our food (when I was a kid, I remember my cousin, who was not much for praying at meals, once asking: "Do we have to talk to our food first? Or can we just start eating?"), but in my heart I am always grateful for the opportunity to live and enjoy a nice meal, and when I can remember to do it, I sorta like the supposed Native American tradition of thanking the plants and animals who died so that we could eat. (Not because I think they really care, but because I care.)
That is so cool, Gaylen. It is more direct than our thanks to God . . . but given my beliefs about God it is pretty much the same . . . since I consider all life to be of God. Still, it is a neat thing to do and your reason is the best of all . . . because YOU care.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:33 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,828,270 times
And no Easter would be complete without watching some Jim Gaffigan.

Jim Gaffigan-Easter - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism